Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acoustic glass" windshields on new Model Ys?

PhotonMiles

Apr 18, 2021
Burbank, CA
From what I understand if you've had Tesla replace your windshield in the last few years, they've put on an "acoustic glass" windshield as the replacement. However it's not clear to me if the windshields currently being installed on new Model Y's are considered "acoustic glass" or just regular laminated glass.

Looking closely at the windshield text on my Model Y it doesn't specifically mention anything about it being "acoustic glass," it just says laminated. For Tesla is that considered the same thing? Or for some reason are they only gifting people "acoustic glass" windshields if theirs is replaced at a service center?

Attached is a photo of the text on my 2021 Model Y's windshield from the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: whisperingshad

bacevedo

Aug 24, 2020
Chandler, AZ
I'd be interested to know this as well. I'm having the windshield replaced on my Y on Monday. I'll ask them if it's the exact same glass or something new and improved.

dss33

Apr 14, 2016
Seattle
I wonder if this is something Safelite can do too. We've been putting off replacing our Model 3's windshield after a big chip but this would change things.

ScoobyDoo82

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles (818)
My understanding is that the “acoustic glass” is just another name for double pane glass. 2021 MY’s come with the front windshield and both front doors with the double-paned glass - the rear doors, roof, corner wedge’s, and hatch all come in single pane.
I looked at the stickers on all 3 (double pane) and neither says specifically but I can clearly see the second piece of glass. I think the lingo and what not is just another training opportunity for Tesla’s staff.

maus92

Apr 26, 2021
Annapolis, Maryland
My understanding is that the “acoustic glass” is just another name for double pane glass. 2021 MY’s come with the front windshield and both front doors with the double-paned glass - the rear doors, roof, corner wedge’s, and hatch all come in single pane.
I looked at the stickers on all 3 (double pane) and neither says specifically but I can clearly see the second piece of glass. I think the lingo and what not is just another training opportunity for Tesla’s staff.
The windshield and front side window standards are prescribed by federal law - windshields have been required to be laminated aka multi layered for decades. The front side windows are designed to help prevent passenger ejection during crashes. The rear windows are designed to crumble into small not-so-sharp pieces to minimize lacerations.

Gigaron

Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
I wonder if this is something Safelite can do too. We've been putting off replacing our Model 3's windshield after a big chip but this would change things.
Safelite told me that only Tesla can replace their windshields because of all the electronics.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC