Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acoustic glass" windshields on new Model Ys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand if you've had Tesla replace your windshield in the last few years, they've put on an "acoustic glass" windshield as the replacement. However it's not clear to me if the windshields currently being installed on new Model Y's are considered "acoustic glass" or just regular laminated glass.

Looking closely at the windshield text on my Model Y it doesn't specifically mention anything about it being "acoustic glass," it just says laminated. For Tesla is that considered the same thing? Or for some reason are they only gifting people "acoustic glass" windshields if theirs is replaced at a service center?

Attached is a photo of the text on my 2021 Model Y's windshield from the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpg
    IMG_8002.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 317
Reactions: whisperingshad
My understanding is that the “acoustic glass” is just another name for double pane glass. 2021 MY’s come with the front windshield and both front doors with the double-paned glass - the rear doors, roof, corner wedge’s, and hatch all come in single pane.
I looked at the stickers on all 3 (double pane) and neither says specifically but I can clearly see the second piece of glass. I think the lingo and what not is just another training opportunity for Tesla’s staff.

My understanding is that the “acoustic glass” is just another name for double pane glass. 2021 MY’s come with the front windshield and both front doors with the double-paned glass - the rear doors, roof, corner wedge’s, and hatch all come in single pane.
I looked at the stickers on all 3 (double pane) and neither says specifically but I can clearly see the second piece of glass. I think the lingo and what not is just another training opportunity for Tesla’s staff.
The windshield and front side window standards are prescribed by federal law - windshields have been required to be laminated aka multi layered for decades. The front side windows are designed to help prevent passenger ejection during crashes. The rear windows are designed to crumble into small not-so-sharp pieces to minimize lacerations.

I f memory serves, acoustic laminated glass will not fit on a car that was builtt with normal glass. At least that is the way it is with 'Benz cars.
The reason is that acoustic laminated glass is much thicker. Just my opinion, not set in stone.

I'd suggest calling Safelite. They replaced acoustic laminated glass on two of my 'Benz doors a couple years ago. They had to order original Mercedes glass to do it.