Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acoustic windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That promo article on acoustic glass has some errors. For starters double glazing has never been used in automotive windshields in the last 40 years because 1st world countries have legislated that laminated screens had to be fitted. Before that "safety glass" was usually put in which shattered into thousands of tiny fragments instead of the large dangerous shards of normal glass.

Side and rear glass is different but most countries legislate that "safety glass" has to be fitted to side windows so in the case of an accident where the doors are jammed shut and the windows are unable to be lowered the glass can be easily and safely be broken for an emergency exit.

An acoustic glass windscreen will not make your car more secure. The standard laminated glass windscreen will be just as difficult to break through as an acoustic one and no thief will try to make entry into your car through the windscreen anyway, the side window is a much easier target because by law it has to be easy to break for safety reasons on a standard car. There are different rules for armoured vehicles.

All glass substantially reduces UV radiation, the acoustic polymer may have extra UV damping properties but there can't be a huge benefit because most of the UV has already been filtered out by the glass. It is also unlikely that the acoustic glass can be made much thinner and or lighter than a standard laminated screen if it needs 3 polymer layers instead of one but it is possible.

Overall the noise reduction may be a worthwhile benefit but I don't understand why the promoters added so much dubious information to their article, all it does is shoot their credibility in the foot.

Does the M3 or any Tesla have an acoustic windshield?
What is an Acoustic Windshield and do They Work? I Have the Answer!

I don't think Tesla has Acoustic Windshields.

However:

I just had SunTek CIR 80 ( blue ) installed on all inside glass except for the top. <--- in order to get rid of the suns rays in the summer and I can attest to a dramatically quieter interior. I can barely ( visually ) tell the difference between this tint and no tint.

Night and day for me.

Soo..... that's an option.

However:

I just had SunTek CIR 80 ( blue ) installed on all inside glass except for the top. <--- in order to get rid of the suns rays in the summer and I can attest to a dramatically quieter interior. I can barely ( visually ) tell the difference between this tint and no tint.

Night and day for me.

That’s exactly why I ran Tesla SunShades on roof and back window in the Model 3. The roof shade was the biggest gain. There is a 3rd party that sells insulated panels that do roof and half the back window for Model 3. More for heating cooling than for noise. But I sure it helps a ton on noise.

I can imagine plastic reflects a little less and adds a layer of insulation. All acoustic glass is, is another layer of plastic in the glass. I think it varies. With thicker plastic layer or thicker glass too depending on the brand.

All the glass in Tesla’s is half the problem. It lets a lot of noise in and reflects what’s in the cabin.

I wanted to run sunshades in my Model X and bought them but the back window was literally pitch black and I had to return them. Combination of heavy tint something funky about auto dimming on the rearview mirror not working right on Model X (lot of complaints on that). Luckily the Model X it much quieter than the Model 3. I’d be curious how much better Model Y is. I’ve heard people say Model 3 was quiet too. Probably not used to what a quiet vehicle really can do and how much comfort it can add.

I also noticed on my Jeep Summit with acoustic glass and noise cancelation that noise did go up if I rolled the panoramic shade back to expose the glass.

It all adds up.

Our Buick has acoustic glass, active noise cancellation and some other techniques to reduce noise. It works incredible well - the Enclave really is library quiet.

The Enclave, with a Tesla powertrain, would be insanely great. Really. Tesla can learn a bunch from GM here - they’ve done a great job with the noise on that particular platform. It’s really excellent.

How Does Buick’s QuietTuning Technology Work?

Reactions: TomB985
Current Tesla do not use "acoustic glass" but most all current manufacturers (including Tesla" use two pieces of standard glass, under tension, laminated together with a thin piece of optically clear plastic sandwithched between.

This safety glass is federally mandated. It keeps shards of glass from entering the passenger compartment from impacts. Windshield will crack but maintain integety.

Side windows are tempered. They will break into hundreds of small pieces, but again, no shards of glass like would occure with house type untempered plate glass.

Acoustic glass is much thicker, heavier and more expensive. Often made available as standard or extra cost options on luxury vehicles.

Many want their cars quieter, but few want them to be heavier and more expensive

Reactions: M109Rider
That’s exactly why I ran Tesla SunShades on roof and back window in the Model 3. The roof shade was the biggest gain. There is a 3rd party that sells insulated panels that do roof and half the back window for Model 3. More for heating cooling than for noise. But I sure it helps a ton on noise.

I can imagine plastic reflects a little less and adds a layer of insulation. All acoustic glass is, is another layer of plastic in the glass. I think it varies. With thicker plastic layer or thicker glass too depending on the brand.

All the glass in Tesla’s is half the problem. It lets a lot of noise in and reflects what’s in the cabin.

I wanted to run sunshades in my Model X and bought them but the back window was literally pitch black and I had to return them. Combination of heavy tint something funky about auto dimming on the rearview mirror not working right on Model X (lot of complaints on that). Luckily the Model X it much quieter than the Model 3. I’d be curious how much better Model Y is. I’ve heard people say Model 3 was quiet too. Probably not used to what a quiet vehicle really can do and how much comfort it can add.

I also noticed on my Jeep Summit with acoustic glass and noise cancelation that noise did go up if I rolled the panoramic shade back to expose the glass.

It all adds up.

Thanks.

My desire was multifaceted.

1. I wanted to have no visibility of a device present.
2. I wanted a permanent install.
3. I wanted to block as much of the dangerous suns' rays as possible.
4. Bonus - the sound deadening is phenomenal.

My clear window film fulfilled all of my desires for this project.

Current Tesla do not use "acoustic glass" but most all current manufacturers (including Tesla" use two pieces of standard glass, under tension, laminated together with a thin piece of optically clear plastic sandwithched between.

This safety glass is federally mandated. It keeps shards of glass from entering the passenger compartment from impacts. Windshield will crack but maintain integety.

Side windows are tempered. They will break into hundreds of small pieces, but again, no shards of glass like would occure with house type untempered plate glass.

Acoustic glass is much thicker, heavier and more expensive. Often made available as standard or extra cost options on luxury vehicles.

Many want their cars quieter, but few want them to be heavier and more expensive

Automotive glass can not produce shards in an accident.

ALL automotive glass is tempered.

There is nothing more safe than tempered glass. The term safety auto glass makes no sense because all automotive glass is safe ( tempered ).

_____

Elon knows all about tempered glass. Even on prototypes.

capture-18.jpg

However:

Night and day for me.

bummer just had 20% SunGard Tint GP Max installed today, had I known I would have shopped around

Didn't do the top either given the advice in other threads..

I just had my windshield replaced due to a bad installation at the factory. This was on my invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Windshield and front glass misaligned causing wind noise at highway speed above drivers
side A-pillar and roof.

Confirmed reported concern. Removed windshield. Cleaned and prepared sealing surfaces. Installed and sealed new
windshield assembly. Verified proper fitment. Road tested vehicle. Verified no abnormal wind noise present following
windshield replacement.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Correction: Windshield (Vehicles with 2nd Generation or Later Autopilot
Hardware) (Remove & Replace)
M3 WSHLD ASSY LHD IR ACOUSTIC(1466270-00-C) 1.0

Chemical, Betaprime, 10ml(1059658-00-A) 1.0

Dow BetaSeal Express(1048645-00-A) 6.0

Looks like newer Model 3's have acoustic windshields.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and M109Rider
I just had my windshield replaced due to a bad installation at the factory. This was on my invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Windshield and front glass misaligned causing wind noise at highway speed above drivers
side A-pillar and roof.

Confirmed reported concern. Removed windshield. Cleaned and prepared sealing surfaces. Installed and sealed new
windshield assembly. Verified proper fitment. Road tested vehicle. Verified no abnormal wind noise present following
windshield replacement.

Nice! Do you notice any difference?

side A-pillar and roof.

windshield replacement.

See if you can see any indicator on the glass. In one of the corners. It was obvious on every piece on Jeep. I think it said Acoustic.

I’ll have to check into it if I ever replace my X windshield.