Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual 0-60 performance of the S85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I certainly understand being conservative on their non-P numbers; but the published CPO times on cars available are showing 0-60 in 5.2 and owners are now reporting 0-60 in the 3.8 range?!?!?...........that's just a heckuva difference.........but in a good way.:)...........I'm just having trouble processing such a difference!:D

IIRC the S85D was initially sold with a 5.2 sec 0-60 mph specification. An over the air software update lowered the time to 4.2 seconds. Quite a nice update.

Tesla appears to use the original specs on their CPO listings.

GSP

PS. I would not count on being able to replicate the reported 3.8 sec. It probably was downhill with a 25 mph tailwind. :)

The non-p cars are conservatively rated, about 0.3-0.4 s faster in the real world.
The P-cars are slower than rated mainly due to the rollout which makes the 0-60 look 0.3 s faster than the actual performance.
Maybe this difference is due to making the P look better vs the non-P?
When MT, dragtimes etc test the P cars, they use sticky drag strips, subtract rollout, use 100% charge, max battery mode and launch mode.
The 0-60 times of most 85/90D cars are usually with suboptimal conditions.
I have never seen a serious timing of the 90D on a dragstrip with rollout, warm max battery (could be achieved by supercharging) and lauch mode.
Previous testing with Vbox indicates a 0.3 s actual difference between P85D and 85D.
I bet if Motortrend would test the 90D the same way they test the P100D, they would end up getting 3.5s for 0-60.

I went out with my S90D 40% charge a few moments ago and the best I could get is 4.4 seconds. Since I have the ALP Laser Jammers it has built in speed tests which are tested accurate against the Vbox systems. I am also 230lbs so that might slow it down slightly and my wheels are not the original 19's but I dont think it will do more than the 4.2 that is listed.

• Informative
Reactions: William3
IIRC the S85D was initially sold with a 5.2 sec 0-60 mph specification. An over the air software update lowered the time to 4.2 seconds. Quite a nice update.

Tesla appears to use the original specs on their CPO listings.

GSP

PS. I would not count on being able to replicate the reported 3.8 sec. It probably was downhill with a 25 mph tailwind. :)
-
Quite a nice update indeed................I wouldn't be taking our car to the track, or anything like that; I was just kicking around the $ difference vs. performance difference on an 85D vs. P85D. (and our family's needs/wants)

I'm curious about this as well. I've tried a couple ways to get a 0-60 on my 90D (no P).

PowerTools gave me 4.5 seconds for 0-61. That's got up to 0.25 seconds extra on each end from timing resolution. When I put it into Excel and took a linear estimate for 0 and 60, that brought the total time down to about 4.2 seconds. Unfortunately, I was only at 46% SOC. I need to run again with a higher charge.

I've also tried the "film the speedometer" method, and got 3.9 seconds at 70% SOC. Because speedometers tend to display high, the real time would be slightly slower.

Neither of my methods is very accurate, or does fanciness like 1' rollout, but it's right around the 4.2 that they quote for my model.
Only by 2mph. That can be adjusted for correct?

Yep, I picked up my S 85D on April 1st 2015. I was quite happy with the 5.2 sec acceleration. Then, just weeks later, it became a totally different feeling car after a software update. When I ordered in Oct 2014, I thought several times about paying extra for the P85D, especially as they kept slipping my delivery date out (originally January). But, I'm really glad I didn't spend the extra money as the 85D is plenty quick for me now.

Reactions: bmah