Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual kWh capacity of P90D?

What is nearest ACTUAL capacity of your 90 kWh battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this content has been posted before. I am assuming a 90 battery = 90 kWh capacity.

My P90D was made in Aug 2015 and I have owned it since Dec 2015 (it was a demo in a showroom).

If I drain the battery from 90% to 25% (= 65% of total battery), 45kWh are consumed. Doing a little math, 45/0.65 = 70 which would suggest that my 90 kWh battery only stores an actual 70kWh.

I looked again today and battery went 55% to 35% = 20% of battery and 14 kWh were consumed so 14.1/0.2 = 70.5 kWh.

Has anyone else done these calcs? Is my car battery well below normal? Would love to hear data from other vehicles.

Anticipated range as predicted by the car when at 90% used to be 471 km, but is now 465 km.

Jason

Mine is closer to 84/84.5. I measured by charging from 2% to 100% and noting the kWh added in Remote S then estimating how many kWh was already in the battery at 2%. I voted for 85 because it was the closest.

Usable energy is probably around 82 kWh judging by the 85 pack. It was 77 usable and the increase was 6%. Also the new pack is 3300mAh cells (also consistent with the 6% denser cells from original 3100mAh) 74parallel 96 series connected so 3,3 * 74 * 3,7 volts nominal * 96 = 86,7kWh. Tesla calls this 90 and only allows for 97% DoD to protect pack, so there you have 84kWh usable energy. ~2kWh of that is for the 12V replenishing and aircon/heating and other system usually. Cacapcity you can take out of a battery is really different depending on the usage and many other variables.

Thank you all for the details. Much appreciated. Therefore, I should expect a 0% to 100% charge to consume about 86.7 kWh, as rated on the Remote S app. I will drive the battery as low as I can and do a full charge and see how much it will hold.

Thank you all for the details. Much appreciated. Therefore, I should expect a 0% to 100% charge to consume about 86.7 kWh, as rated on the Remote S app. I will drive the battery as low as I can and do a full charge and see how much it will hold.

Please share with us after doing so. I'm curious if my assumptions will hold and your usable energy will indeed be ~82kWh.

For my 2012 P85, I recent charged from 5% to 100% and it took 71 kWh. That would make it 75 kWh at 100%. This gave me 248 miles range, or 94% of the original claim of 265 miles. Seems about average or slightly worse than average degradation from what I can tell. Last summer it was 253 miles at 100%.