Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad-hoc charging from home keeps shutting down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 Model 3s. Both charge without issue when I have them scheduled to charge overnight, so I think I can rule out any issue with the charger itself.

However, occasionally, we have a need to charge during the day (maybe we forgot to charge a car overnight, just hypothetically). With both cars, I'm able to plug them in, tell it to "charge now" and charging begins. Amperage shows 32/32A. However, after a bit of time, the charging just shuts down and I have to keep turning it back on. It's as though it really doesn't want me to charge during peak hours. I only do this as an exception, but when do say "Charge now", I need it to continue charging until I reach the charge target.

It's getting really frustrating. Any idea what I may have set up wrong?

Both cars act the same way? Do you use any third-party apps or services that might try to control charging (or access the car at all)? If so, try changing your Tesla password to lock them out and test again.

Can you characterize the behavior any more precisely? Does it stop after a fixed amount of time, or at a specific time? What exactly are the scheduling settings you have in the car, currently?

Reactions: jjrandorin
I did have an external app connected quite some time ago. Never used it to control charging. Whenever I get a few minutes, I'll try changing the PW (have to coordinate having both cars here, and both phones, etc.)

When I was trying earlier today I did turn off the scheduled charging setting (though I agree wit Dave, that it should not be necessary)

My recollection was that the time it would run between shutting off was not particularly consistent (I recall thinking, at one point, that it had gone long enough that maybe I had it working, only to find it stopped a bit later. I don't know that it ever went more than about 30 minutes at a time and was definitely shorter than that some times)