Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Front Lighting System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Is this the adaptive headlights being talked about? I thought the recent article said Model 3 only to start. But this is in the Model S manual. Searched forum here and general internet search but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks.

"
If equipped, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve. When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) operates whenever headlights are on. If Model S isn't moving, or is moving in reverse, the adaptive headlights do not activate. This prevents the headlights from inadvertently blinding other drivers."

Thanks. That's odd to remove it. Hardware is still there and waiting for yet another software update or it's completely gone?
The headlights on the pre-2022 matrix setup on the S were rubbish. Absolutely awful. The AFS was kind of a bandaid for just poor headlights in general, and the new lights in many ways remove the need for the AFS.

I don’t know if there are unused LEDs on the current lights that an AFS could be enabled. I wouldn’t expect so.

Reactions: dsm363
The headlights on the pre-2022 matrix setup on the S were rubbish. Absolutely awful. The AFS was kind of a bandaid for just poor headlights in general, and the new lights in many ways remove the need for the AFS.

I don’t know if there are unused LEDs on the current lights that an AFS could be enabled. I wouldn’t expect so.
I see. I just assumed with the Model 3 getting them it would be added to the Model S at some point. Thanks.

I see. I just assumed with the Model 3 getting them it would be added to the Model S at some point. Thanks.
Well, it's hard to say what can/will be enabled in the USA. The Highland Model 3 isn't getting AFS, though, as it's described in the Tesla manual. It's getting the matrix setup fully enabled, though, in 2024.2, apparently, but also apparently only in Europe. For now we don't know if the existing matrix-equipped cars in the USA will get the feature in a software update or not... We can say for a fact that pre-2022 S will not get it as their headlights aren't matrix.

Here's an example of a Polestar with the feature enabled (skip to 1:50):

Reactions: dsm363

The projectors can rotate though, so seems like they should be able to do AFS the old fashion way.

So 2024.20 finally adds what is effectively AFS to matrix cars. Unfortunately it seems you need to have auto highbeams enabled to use the feature

IMG_4219.jpeg

IMG_4220.jpeg

Why is that unfortunate? That's big part of the benefit of matrix headlights in the first place.

They can help see around corners when you're turning but they also can minimize glare to oncoming cars which allows you to be able to light more of the area without there being a negative to other motorists.

This is why cars have a cut off on their low beams and it's meant to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. High beams is just how headlights would always be if you had a car that was smart enough to black out just the areas where other cars were. That's what matrix headlights do.

That said, early reports indicate that we're not getting that portion of matrix headlight functionality with this update. From what I've read, the only part we're getting is what helps it to bend light around corners when you're turning. I think there's still some DOT regulatory stuff that has to get rubber stamped before we get the full-blown version here in the states.

I've owned nine Teslas now and I've never felt the need to disable the automatic brights. They work flawlessly in my experience in these cars and I only wish the rain sensing head wipers worked half as well. Unlike some of the other whiz-bang features Tesla tries to throw at us, the auto high beam feature just works drama-free in my experience.

I've never felt the need to disable it so if/when Tesla ever gives us full matrix headlights, I won't have to worry about turning it on to reap the benefits of that feature, fully unlocked.

Why is that unfortunate? That's big part of the benefit of matrix headlights in the first place.
Because the auto headlights on teslas is perhaps the worst implementation out there and it’s still simple on/off here in the US instead of variable. If you enjoy your highbeams constantly turning on/off regardless of traffic conditions, then perhaps they’re useful.

The cornering capability is useful outside of high beams and should be independent of that setting.

Because the auto headlights on teslas is perhaps the worst implementation out there and it’s still simple on/off here in the US instead of variable. If you enjoy your highbeams constantly turning on/off regardless of traffic conditions, then perhaps they’re useful.

The cornering capability is useful outside of high beams and should be independent of that setting.
My auto highs have worked great, they go low as soon as I see a car in the distance and they turn back bright about 2 seconds after the car goes by

Reactions: Yelobird
Be specific. As I've already stated, it's one of the few features in a Tesla I never have to think about after activating upon purchase. I'm curious as to the specifics of why you hate it so much.
They constantly turn on and off regardless of traffic conditions. More often than not they’ll blind traffic, but won’t turn on the brights when the road is empty and I actually need them. And unlike virtually every other manufacturer, you can’t override them without disabling the feature altogether. Just a terrible implementation just like everything else Tesla attempts to do with “vision”. Similar behavior on every Tesla I’ve driven. (3 owned within my family, several others amongst friends and rentals)

There’s no reason to tie the cornering lights to the feature.

For those of you that use auto high beams I don't think your all aware of how bad they blind the cars that your approaching. I see more Teslas coming my way with their high beams when there not even needed. Teslas are the worst but other cars with auto high beams do this too.

Reactions: terranx
They constantly turn on and off regardless of traffic conditions. More often than not they’ll blind traffic, but won’t turn on the brights when the road is empty and I actually need them. And unlike virtually every other manufacturer, you can’t override them without disabling the feature altogether. Just a terrible implementation just like everything else Tesla attempts to do with “vision”. Similar behavior on every Tesla I’ve driven. (3 owned within my family, several others amongst friends and rentals)

There’s no reason to tie the cornering lights to the feature.
You should probably put in a ticket because that's not been my experience across 100,000+ miled and nine different Teslas now. Seems to be wrong with your car specifically. The auto high beam features one of the few things on my car that I never even think about.

Reactions: Yelobird
You should probably put in a ticket because that's not been my experience across 100,000+ miled and nine different Teslas now. Seems to be wrong with your car specifically. The auto high beam features one of the few things on my car that I never even think about.
Nope, it’s not my car. It’s remarkably consistent behavior across 10+ teslas I’ve driven, S/X, 3/Y, hw3 and 4 alike. Every legacy manufacturer does so much better. S/X don’t force them with autopilot so it wasn’t nearly as annoying as the 3/Y

Difference likely comes down to the roads we drive or us just having a different tolerance for poor performance. Either way, there is zero reason a feature that isn’t tied to high beams should force the use of auto highbeams. And it’s just poor design to not let you be able to force the highbeams on when using the auto brights.