Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Grab Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I've been in love with my new 2021 MY I got in November, and I really enjoy taking people on trips and rides! One person in particular is my mom, who is really warming up to the Tesla experience.

If there is one thing I could do for her, it would be to figure out some way to install a grab handle (also known in some areas as a "OH S*** handle") above the passenger door in the interior. I have attempted to help her by showing the handle on the door, but for her it doesn't compare to the handle above or next to the door (on the A pillar).

I was wondering if anyone had seen someone retrofitting this onto their car, or if there is even enough room to consider a retrofit?

See photo for an example.

Thanks!

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,105
It is not easy to add handles in this area because of the air bags.

Correct. No room in the headliner due to side air curtains but you could probably attach a suction cup based grab bar, like they use in showers and bathtubs, to the underside of the glass roof. Might not look the best and may not hold up to changes in temperature but that's the best option.

Oh wait, Tesla cars are considered luxury cars, right?

@juicevibes there has been some debate about this in the past. MY is definitely priced like a luxury vehicle, but based on the ride quality and the "minimalist" interior, some might not consider it luxury. Also missing some luxury creature comforts like cooled seats, massaging seats, etc.

EDIT: that said, it would be nice to have the "holy crap" handles for sure

I'm in a wheelchair and I depend on these grab bars to transfer in and out of my cars. I was so disappointed when I test drove a MY and found no grab bars. I've been looking to see if it was possible but could never get an answer so the fact that there's air bags in the headliner answers my question. I test drove the Mach-E recently and was happy to see they do provide them but I'm really hoping Tesla will reconsider putting these on.

Reactions: cancoi
Grab handles attached to the headliner may interfere with air bags, but grab handles attached to the A-pillar have, aside from a small speaker, no such constraint. A number of cars already offer A-pillar grab handles that replace the current A-pillar liner. If one knew how to remove the current liner, one could find a suitable anchor point for a 3rd party handle. Better even for Tesla to make a factory A-pillar cover with handle and a way to replace current cover, DIY or at Tesla service. Handles are more important for the passenger side as the driver side has a steering wheel to help entry & exit. I have to believe that most older and shorter passengers would deeply appreciate this entry aid.

I'm in a wheelchair and I depend on these grab bars to transfer in and out of my cars. I was so disappointed when I test drove a MY and found no grab bars. I've been looking to see if it was possible but could never get an answer so the fact that there's air bags in the headliner answers my question. I test drove the Mach-E recently and was happy to see they do provide them but I'm really hoping Tesla will reconsider putting these on.
We have an MY on order, but the passenger side Grab Bar is essential. Please add information here if/when you discover a solution. TIA. Reid-CA

We have an MY on order, but the passenger side Grab Bar is essential. Please add information here if/when you discover a solution. TIA. Reid-CA
Found this thread with a search as I was about to post the same question. Mom also relies on a passenger grab handle. Had a loaner test-drive car for a day. But mom could not get in to enjoy the ride. There’s got to be some workaround to this issue I would suspect.

Good catch on the video. Seems to be such a "hack" type fix to add handles for the back seat passengers but if it works...

Also, that looks like a Model X but this type of solution should still work for the Model Y. Looks like a luggage strap with a grab handle.

This does not help the front seat passenger! My husband is dying to go to the beach on windy roads here in NorCal in his brand new Y. it really fries me that this so-called luxury car has no grab handle. And don’t get me started on the non delivery of the Tesla Power Wall for our roof top solar. Tesla just keeps making cars, but is not contributing to the production of clean energy to power the vehicles.

• Funny
Reactions: Mike_TV
Perhaps someone has a photo of the front pillar without the trim so we can see if there is a good mount point where we can drill without hitting any wires?
My own concern with that is compromising the side curtain airbags somehow. Also, I may be thinking of another car, but I believe to remove the front pillar requires the entire headliner to be removed; I may be wrong though.

For a rear passenger grab handle, the only relatively "clean" install I have seen are on the MY cabs of NYC. They had nylon handles installed where the first row seat belts are. The b-pillar is fairly simple to remove to find attachment point for a handle without interfering with the seatbelt mechanism.