Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add V2 supercharging power sharing in car warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Denver
Admittedly, this is becoming a less relevant issue with the advent of V3 chargers that no longer share power but I often notice at V2 superchargers, that people do not know that power is shared between charger stalls.

I’ll often be parked at 1A while another is parked at 2B. Clearly, whoever pulls in should move to either the 3A/B or 4A/B chargers put instead will pull into 2A. I feel like the car should show a warning on the screen when the person plugs into 2A that “You will experience 50% Charging speed due to sharing power with stall 2B and this will also impact others charging speed. Please move to (X charger stall) for max speeds”.

I feel like Tesla has enough info about SC status to be able to intelligently implement this. I never know if people are ignorant or just being a jerk (most likely ignorance but I’m a cynic)

I would say most people don’t know this. Tesla are like the Toyota camrys of electic car. Everyone buys it at least it Ca. You would need to be intuned with forums and watch’s tons of YouTube videos to stumble upon the power sharing trick. It’s not something tesla advertises nor should they. If they did advertise this “flaw/compromise” than it’s one admission of a negative of EV vs. ICE.

As mentioned above, I don’t think Tesla would ever advertise this as it’s a negative that isn’t widely known to the new to the brand owners.

V2’s need to be upgraded and most new installs are V3’s. With all their line up of vehicles snow able to charge at a higher rate the amount of shares power will be even less.

What new owners need to “get” is there’s no need to charge to 95-100% when you destination is only 50miles away and there’s yet another Supercharger in that town. 10-15min charges are what they need

I would say most people don’t know this. Tesla are like the Toyota camrys of electic car. Everyone buys it at least it Ca. You would need to be intuned with forums and watch’s tons of YouTube videos to stumble upon the power sharing trick. It’s not something tesla advertises nor should they. If they did advertise this “flaw/compromise” than it’s one admission of a negative of EV vs. ICE.
Yea this is what I assume as well but I generally don't want to be the one to let them know because it feels passive aggressive- rather have Tesla inform them ;) haha

What new owners need to “get” is there’s no need to charge to 95-100% when you destination is only 50miles away and there’s yet another Supercharger in that town. 10-15min charges are what they need
This should also be a pop-up during charging, maybe a "Suggested charge amount". Kind of goes along with my desire for there to be a charging preference selection of "More frequent stops, quicker total charge time" vs "Less frequent stops, Slower total charging time"