Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add winter tires for just one and a half months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered an X90D, but delivery may not happen to February. I live in NJ but drive to the Hudson Valley of NY that does get snow. Is it worth adding winter tires + rims for just 1.5 months or can I get away with the stock 20" tires? I would get the winter tires for the following season though.

If you are driving in snow a lot (or a lot of snow) I recommend you get a snow set of tires as they can make a lot of difference in braking distance.
Since you are planning to use them the next season too I don't see any reason why you wouldn't buy them now, even if you just use them one day they could make a difference :)

Reactions: goneskiian
If you are driving in snow a lot (or a lot of snow) I recommend you get a snow set of tires as they can make a lot of difference in braking distance.
Since you are planning to use them the next season too I don't see any reason why you wouldn't buy them now, even if you just use them one day they could make a difference :)
Exactly. If you plan to get them for the next winter anyway, get them now and use them. All it takes is one slick day and wreck to make you wish you'd just put them on in the first place.

Just ordered an X90D, but delivery may not happen to February. I live in NJ but drive to the Hudson Valley of NY that does get snow. Is it worth adding winter tires + rims for just 1.5 months or can I get away with the stock 20" tires? I would get the winter tires for the following season though.
In your region it probably doesn't make sense unless you get an unusual late snowfall or you regularly drive roads that aren't well cleared

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll just use the all-seasons and take my time choosing winter wheels/tires next season. I will just use more caution this year. They are "all-season" tires after all and while I'm a huge advocate of winter specific tires it isn't a big deal personally to revert to all-seasons (especially new) for a couple of months of light winter driving.

I don't get delivery of my X till Feb/Mar next year and there will only be 1-2 months of winter weather for me as well. I would recommend just biting the bullet now and purchase the winter setup if you are planning to get a set for the future anyways.

All it takes is one accident and you'll be kicking yourself for not have the proper tires. Just think of how many weeks or months will your X be in the shop being repaired if you had an avoidable accident and you'll have to roll in an ICE vehicle. Check out TSportlines sale this month for discounts on tire/wheel packages. I ordered a set of 20" TST Gloss Black wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires, black lug covers, and some apparell for $1000 off which is an excellent deal compared to Tesla store tire/wheel packages.

I don't get delivery of my X till Feb/Mar next year and there will only be 1-2 months of winter weather for me as well. I would recommend just biting the bullet now and purchase the winter setup if you are planning to get a set for the future anyways.
All it takes is one accident and you'll be kicking yourself for not have the proper tires. Just think of how many weeks or months will your X be in the shop being repaired if you had an avoidable accident and you'll have to roll in an ICE vehicle. Check out TSportlines sale this month for discounts on tire/wheel packages. I ordered a set of 20" TST Gloss Black wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires, black lug covers, and some apparell for $1000 off which is an excellent deal compared to Tesla store tire/wheel packages.
I fully agree! Get my next X90D in March 2017 and preordered complete wheels from an european dealer already. (Delivery will be parallel to my Model X then). Insurance problems and even juridical problems will come up if you are involved in a crash and beeing blamed for driving on summer tires (in Germany even if you did not cause the crash. Then you have to bring evidence, that the whole accident would have happened in the same way with winter tires on your car - which is in most cases just impossible. The insurance will blame you for higher damage on your car anyway).
Regarding prices in Europe: Every deal is an excellent deal compared to Tesla store tire/wheel packages :)