Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid All-Season Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to purchase a MS Plaid in the coming weeks. I live in the midwest and would appreciate all-season tires coming stock on the 21" rims. Is there a chance Tesla will change this to default in the coming weeks as winter sets in? Can it be requested or changed upon delivery? I have run winter rims/tires for my 2017 P100D that past 6 years and just swapped seasonally twice a year but i honestly don't drive in the snow much and rarely are the roads not plowed.

Reactions: dn325ci
I have the LR version but my 21"'s came with the PS4 summers. I switched to the Goodyear Tesla 21" tires and love them. You do give up some in handling/braking but they are more quiet, better efficiency, all-season traction (can go below 45F), and they do not fling pebbles all up the sides. They are also cheaper.

The problem with Tesla shipping you a Plaid with the A/S is the speed rating. They cannot sell you a car that the tires do not meet the cars rating. The PS4 will take the full speed of the Plaid - the A/S will not.

You can get the Tesla marked Goodyears from Tesla SC or from Tire Rack and have Discount Tire install.

Upvote 0
The problem with Tesla shipping you a Plaid with the A/S is the speed rating. They cannot sell you a car that the tires do not meet the cars rating. The PS4 will take the full speed of the Plaid - the A/S will not.
Hmm, I wonder why Tesla cheaped out on the 21” all seasons. The all season 19s are W rated which is above the 162mph limiter. And the model Y performance comes with 21” PS4 A/S which are also W rated in that size.

Tesla easily could have found an all season that is acceptable for the Plaid’s top speed.

Oh well, I’ll probably swap to winter wheels/tires as soon as I take delivery and then get myself the Zero Gs when the weather warms up

Upvote 0
Looking to purchase a MS Plaid in the coming weeks. I live in the midwest and would appreciate all-season tires coming stock on the 21" rims. Is there a chance Tesla will change this to default in the coming weeks as winter sets in? Can it be requested or changed upon delivery? I have run winter rims/tires for my 2017 P100D that past 6 years and just swapped seasonally twice a year but i honestly don't drive in the snow much and rarely are the roads not plowed.
Your safest option is exactly what you're doing now. Getting winter tires on 19" rims maybe (or CrossClimate2s for winter) and then you can always keep your 21" rims for summer.

Upvote 0
Your safest option is exactly what you're doing now. Getting winter tires on 19" rims maybe (or CrossClimate2s for winter) and then you can always keep your 21" rims for summer.

If going the winter tire route, keep the 21's and put the 21" Pirelli winter tires on there. Tesla marked for the Plaid. Very expensive but ride and wear is great. I drove on them for a few thousand miles last winter and loved them. Kind of overkill for most midwest weather but felt solid and confident.

I have them still in a closet if these GY all seasons do not cut it.

Reactions: dsm363
Upvote 0
If going the winter tire route, keep the 21's and put the 21" Pirelli winter tires on there. Tesla marked for the Plaid. Very expensive but ride and wear is great. I drove on them for a few thousand miles last winter and loved them. Kind of overkill for most midwest weather but felt solid and confident.

I have them still in a closet if these GY all seasons do not cut it.
I don't think there is any advantage to 21" winter rims other than looks. Having more of a sidewall is usually better but personal preference.

Upvote 0
I picked up a set of the 19s with the Continental All-Seasons. Ride quality is night and day.

If you're really want to run the 21s, TireRack has a set of Mercerdes-spec Continentals that fit on a Plaid and Goodyear does have a Tesla-spec set (goes on the MS LR). I was told to avoid them by my service center because they're really hard to find replacements if you get a flat. Over the past few 6 months, even Tirerack has only stocked them once

Upvote 0
For my winter setup, I'm really liking the tesla spec goodyear eagle sport a/s tires so far. They are the same size as the PS 4S tire for 21" wheels but ride noticeably softer. I anticipate getting decent mileage out of them. Traction seems fine and I'm looking forward to see how they perform in the snow.

Upvote 0
I picked up a set of the 19s with the Continental All-Seasons. Ride quality is night and day.

If you're really want to run the 21s, TireRack has a set of Mercerdes-spec Continentals that fit on a Plaid and Goodyear does have a Tesla-spec set (goes on the MS LR). I was told to avoid them by my service center because they're really hard to find replacements if you get a flat. Over the past few 6 months, even Tirerack has only stocked them once
I was told by a Tesla mobile tire tech that TireRack has stuff if you call them that may not be on the website. (odd in this day and age I know…)

This was back when I couldn’t find the correct Perreli listed for my old M3P 20”.

Upvote 0