Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added brake strobe to rear brake strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really sure why there's questions regarding legality... It is perfectly legal to have flashing red lights to the rear in all 50 states. I'd be hard pressed to see a ticket stand up ... although that said, TECHNICALLY any modification outside of factory specs could be deemed illegal.

That said, what unit did you use? I may like yours better then mine.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks more like faulty wiring and electrical shorting than brake strobing. If I see anything like that I'd suggest getting your electrical systems checked out. The first thought that would come to my mind is that your electrical is messed up and that your not really braking at all. I think it's a huge distraction. That's also probably why it's illegal in every state.

Not illegal in ANY state. In fact, it's starting to be REQUIRED on certain vehicles.

> The problem is exactly that it's trying to get your attention all the time, every time the car is slowed down. [David99]

<Strobe only when Bypass ends (xx sec)> Make it user adjustable.

But I would want to remove Regen lights from this equation, and am not up to date on Regen activation of lights. Has firmware updated Regen lights?? [Need to drive more at night].
--

I don't know if it's been updated, but the brake lights only go on when there is significant deceleration. They probably go on far less often than a totally friction brake system because those light up every time the brake pedal is touched.

The blinking of those strobe stop lights drives me nuts. Basically it's like crying wolf because the ones I see go on whenever the brake pedal is touched. I suspect this will cause people to miss seeing real emergency vehicles.

I agree with others commenting on how this is annoying and probably makes things less safe rather than more.

I'll also note that the police lights used in many parts of the USA now are incredibly bright, colorful, and flashy -- which makes them distracting, blinding, annoying, and dangerous.

In some cases I find myself holding a hand up to block the lights of the police cars to be able to see the road ahead of me -- which certainly doesn't make the cop any safer.

I'll also note that the police lights used in many parts of the USA now are incredibly bright, colorful, and flashy -- which makes them distracting, blinding, annoying, and dangerous.

And what's worse is that they are only bright if you are looking at them. If you're not, they have very few lumens, so they don't light up an area. When I was younger, the lights would light up the car's interior so that you couldn't possibly miss it if they were behind you. The lights now are very easy to miss.

I agree with others commenting on how this is annoying and probably makes things less safe rather than more.

In some cases I find myself holding a hand up to block the lights of the police cars to be able to see the road ahead of me -- which certainly doesn't make the cop any safer.

I agree - these have gotten way too bright and distracting as a driver trying to pass by. Police departments and the companies that outfit the cars need to ratchet this back.