Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding 3rd row to used Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main issue would be to check if the bolts used to hold the safety belts are present
or at least to see if there is any the anchors points where you could install some hardware braces.

There might be also a reinforced rear bumper beam for the 7 seats like in the case of the Model S with Jump seats in the trunk?

Other possible issue would be to have additional air vents, in case the Model Y 7 seats provide those.

Last but straight forward, I believe the Model Y 3rd row has an additional USB plug, this would not be too difficult to deal with...

On same boat here, wanted a SR7 but when it was discontinued, I had no choice but to order what i could find, a 5 seater. I tought the same thing as OP, and here is what I know so far, the mounting points on a 7 seater are the same as 5 seater, there is actually a braket where the seat sits, so technically it os possible, but as it was mention the center seat would also have to be put on the sliders or better yet the whole seat with sliders would have to be changed as the entry way is only possible with that seat. Also the plastic panels on the rear qtr panel (inside the car) are different on 7 seater(with armrest) could probably do without them tho. Looking at teslas parts website there is a diagram with all the parts needed, but they are restricted and not for sale. So the best bet is going to be a wrecked 7 seater, but given the amount of parts it wont be cheap, also im not sure if the wiring for the center seat is the same so that it works. I dont think this has been done, but would love to see someone do it, as im interested myself

On same boat here, wanted a SR7 but when it was discontinued, I had no choice but to order what i could find, a 5 seater. I tought the same thing as OP, and here is what I know so far, the mounting points on a 7 seater are the same as 5 seater, there is actually a braket where the seat sits, so technically it os possible, but as it was mention the center seat would also have to be put on the sliders or better yet the whole seat with sliders would have to be changed as the entry way is only possible with that seat. Also the plastic panels on the rear qtr panel (inside the car) are different on 7 seater(with armrest) could probably do without them tho. Looking at teslas parts website there is a diagram with all the parts needed, but they are restricted and not for sale. So the best bet is going to be a wrecked 7 seater, but given the amount of parts it wont be cheap, also im not sure if the wiring for the center seat is the same so that it works. I dont think this has been done, but would love to see someone do it, as im interested myself
Anyone had any luck with doing this?

Not worth it. Too many parts and too much work to swap them. If you can find a 7 seater for parts and get a chance to pull all the parts from the car, including middle row of seats and rails, then I imagine it's doable. I doubt there are many 7 seaters at junk yards at this time.
It depends on what "worth it" is to you, I do agree that it would have to come from a wrecked Y, but for someone like me with a SRY, its about 21k more to switch to a 7 seat LR then I paid. The only real 7 seat vehicle in the market right now is the model X but new ones are not being produced and used ones are going for crazy pricing so thats not an option. In my case it would be ideal to add whats needed, hell even if it costed 5k from tesla, but thats not even an option.

Just NO with no explanation is horrid.
Feel good about yourself, he said NO with no explanation... much better than giving you a thumbs down with no comment and no explanation...

The main push for this would be for people who wanted a 7 seater, and wanted a performance. I would say it is cheaper to convert a performance into a 7 seat performance that it would be to convert a 7 seat Long Range into a 7 seat Performance. If a 7 seater showed up at a local "pick a part" I would be on it like stink on *sugar*... but there are so few Tesla's in my area I don't foresee that happening.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucas007
Reviving old thread. I might attempt to do this if I can find the top back section of the third row. The bottom cushion seems available. I took apart the 5 seater and the 7 seater. The 5 seater has empty holes where threads are present in the 7 seater mounts. It might be possible to weld threaded bungs in the holes. If the seat can be installed you still would have to deal with the 2nd row seat being too far back. This is just an idea, will report back if it materializes.

Reviving old thread. I might attempt to do this if I can find the top back section of the third row. The bottom cushion seems available. I took apart the 5 seater and the 7 seater. The 5 seater has empty holes where threads are present in the 7 seater mounts. It might be possible to weld threaded bungs in the holes. If the seat can be installed you still would have to deal with the 2nd row seat being too far back. This is just an idea, will report back if it materializes.
They make threaded bungs that go in like a pop rivet, no welding required.

Keith

Reactions: Demented_Y