Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a charger to my 100 amp panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before spending thousands on a NEMA 14-50 connection to your carpark investigate a simple upgrade to a NEMA 5-20 (16amps max at 120V) by changing the plug and breaker, or a NEMA 6-15 (12A max at 240V) or a NEMA 6-20 (16A max at 240V). It's possible that any one of these might be doable for the cost of a new breaker and plug, depending on your existing wiring.

If you have to run new wire, then a NEMA 5-20 (which is backward compatible with standard 120V devices) might be most cost effective because it's so versatile, The NEMA 6-15 and 6-20 outlets are going to be dedicated 240V outlets but the thinner wire required will reduce the cost of the installation.

I looked into this, but all the 15A outlets in my house are wired with 14ga, which is not enough for 6-20.

Reactions: DuncanM
I looked into this, but all the 15A outlets in my house are wired with 14ga, which is not enough for 6-20.
Do you have a garage or carport? Converting an outlet there (if it's on it's own breaker) to a NEMA 6-15 would still give you 2 (9amps at 220v) to 2.88kw (12amps at 240v) for EV charging. It might be worth it, even if you have to give up some outlets. OTOH, 240v to 120v converters are relatively inexpensive and would allow you to use a 240V plug for 120v devices.

Last edited:
Not sure what that was suppose to be, but you would normally have 208V-2.5kW (condo/commercial) or 240V-2.9kW (residential). 246V open circuit is nominal for residential these days, but if you're in a rural area at the end of the line it can dip down to 225V during peak hours.
I was just giving a range of potential kw outputs depending on line voltage. I hadn't considered a condo situation.