Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a relay switch, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought some relay from Amazon:

ALMOCN 6Pcs DC 5V 1 Channel Relay Module With Optocoupler Isolation Support High or Low Level Trigger https://a.co/d/7eIX1hV

Pulled the cover below the rear ac vent area and added them. I got 12v from pin 1 and 26, signal also got it from one of the other pin and I tested that it did work when I close all doors and open one. The ooto coupler kicked in

However the output side has no voltage whatsoever. COM is positive load and NO or NC are negative load depending on whether you want it normally open or normally closed.

I tested this with a volt meter as well as some regular 12v led light. It won't light up at all.

I really like this relay bc of it's small size. Only if it works!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20240608_104624.jpg
    IMG_20240608_104624.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 4
It is a relay no voltage should be present.
On the input side you have DC-, DC+ and the trigger input.
On the other side you have the common that would be you negative signal you would what to be present on the NO or NC outputs depending on state of your relay.

Reactions: android04
Its a "dry" relay contact. A contact without voltage. You have to physically wire your source DC+ voltage to the Com terminal. Your load+ is wired to either the N.C. or N.O. terminal depending how you want things to work. Your load- is wired directly to source DC-.
This is the diagram that I got from Amazon. That doesn't seem like what you said. I'm going test your method and see if it works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-02-09-46-00-889_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-02-09-46-00-889_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 4
Yes the puddle light. I want interior ambient light to do the same.

I wonder what you mean by ambient light? Is is this type of long LED strips with color adjustable?

In my case, I am interested in installing lighting for the rear passengers floor, so when opening one of the rear doors,
you can see see where to put your feet, and also when exiting you can check that you didn't forget something on the floor.

I have seen products where you can install a light under each front seat, but you need to add additional wires under the seats.
However, those wires need to be loose enough because the front seats can be moved, which make this installation a little bit messy,
because there are already wires for the motors of the seats and the heating under the front seats,

I would prefer instead to install a light at the base of the rear central console where the vents and USB plugs are located.
I noticed in fact that the Cybertruck provides such lighting, I guess also to provide lighting
for the storage area when the rear seats are folded up (see below picture):

CT Rear Seats - Floor Lighthing  - Spot .jpg
Cybertruck lighting for the rear floor area.​

On my car, I noticed that there are some dimming lights inside the rear passenger doors,
where there is a little storage location. So I was considering to use one of this lights
to control the additional light that I would like to add at the bottom of the rear console.

The puddle light socket would not provide enough power to power the ambient light kit. Hence this hack

I was thinking also to install a little relay to control the additional light that I would like to install,
and the optical relay that you mentioned seems to be a good option. Otherwise, I was thinking
to use a current sensor, or a light sensor, to power my additional lighting.

Yes the puddle light. I want interior ambient light to do the same. The puddle light socket would not provide enough power to power the ambient light kit. Hence this hack
There is a setting for the interior lights to come on when you open the doors.
(the lights next to the rearview mirror, in the driver and passenger footwells and above each of the back doors).

Controls/Lights/Dome Lights.

You do have that on don't you?

Take a picture of your relay with the wire description
Its a "dry" relay contact. A contact without voltage. You have to physically wire your source DC+ voltage to the Com terminal. Your load+ is wired to either the N.C. or N.O. terminal depending how you want things to work. Your load- is wired directly to source DC-.
What I wanted to say but more elegantly, with much better description than me.