Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a second charger / Advice ?'s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, did some searching on this and couldn't find much. If there is a thread about this, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Currently charge a 2016 90D Model S with a 50 amp circuit. Have a Model Y on order. Was hoping I could add to (or buy a 2nd) charger? Not sure the best way to configure this.

Also would have to schedule charging? Or would the Tesla's just take half each?

Best option given the situation?

Would love advice on this one...

Dave

First. Nomenclature is important. You don't want to add a charger.

You want to either replace your wall connector or find one of the dual connector wall connectors that split/shared the power going to two cars. Its no longer in the Tesla store. You might find one on ebay or even TMC. Have not seen one advertised in a long time.

If you can't find one, your next option is musical Mobile Connector or Wall Connector swapping between each car.

Another choice if you have the electrical service to support it, is to add another 50 amp circuit and use the car's Mobile Connector or buy another or two Wall Connectors. You could also get the Corded Mobile Connector and leave one in the car.

Its unlikely that you can get an electrician to add another NEMA 14-50 to an existing 50 amp circuit be it wall connector or mobile connector that you are already using. Therefore is more likely you need to add another 50 amp circuit.

With luck, someone else will jump in and help us understand any other options you may have available to you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
NEC says that receptacles for EV charging must be on their own circuit. As Akikiki said, you can use two Tesla wall connectors. They will communicate with each other to avoid blowing the circuit they share. You'll want to convert your existing 14-50 to a hard-wired wall connector before daisy chaining the second one off that circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
NEC says that receptacles for EV charging must be on their own circuit. As Akikiki said, you can use two Tesla wall connectors. They will communicate with each other to avoid blowing the circuit they share. You'll want to convert your existing 14-50 to a hard-wired wall connector before daisy chaining the second one off that circuit.

So to be clear. Today I have a Tesla Wall Connector. Bought it about a year ago from Tesla (it is black...don't know model). So I can buy a second one and "connect" them together? I would need about 30 feet of conduit between them though so I could put the second connector on the other side of the garage.

Is it that simple? Then can I plug in both cars and the two units would manage everything?

If so, this seems like a good solution.