Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Circuits to Tesla Panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m trying to I add a mini split AC unit in my house and I need a 220 outlet to power it. I have Tesla solar+powerwalls.

The side of my house that needs the outlet is on the complete opposite side of the house from my circuit breaker panel but is on the same exterior wall as my powerwalls/main electric box/Tesla added panels.

The electrician that I asked to quote the job for me took a look at what I had outside and suggested that we add a breaker to one of the Tesla panels to draw power from there.

Has anyone here done this? I’m not sure what the panel is called but it currently has 4 breakers labeled: Main, solar, batt1, batt2.

Pricing to run all the way to the main breaker will probably be insane and even more so if I want it done with our exposed conduit everywhere.

Thanks for any suggestions/input!

I have a similar panel. It's a load center that takes the feeds from solar and PW and is wired into the gateway. Mine has a label "Do Not Add New Loads".

OP, is your entire house backed up or is there another panel. I'm not saying you should do it, but if parts of your house are backed up and you add a breaker to the solar/PW load center, the mini split will be part of the back up.

Can you take a picture of the label?
Sure, photos attached.
43581E08-B220-490E-A2C4-E9A300B8A2B0.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D3843E6-4B89-40C4-BE0E-03095BC1536F.jpeg
    2D3843E6-4B89-40C4-BE0E-03095BC1536F.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 246
I have a similar panel. It's a load center that takes the feeds from solar and PW and is wired into the gateway. Mine has a label "Do Not Add New Loads".

OP, is your entire house backed up or is there another panel. I'm not saying you should do it, but if parts of your house are backed up and you add a breaker to the solar/PW load center, the mini split will be part of the back up.
My entire house is backed up and I was hoping the new mini split would be backed up as well. Only my main panel in the garage has the “Do not add new loads” label.

My entire house is backed up and I was hoping the new mini split would be backed up as well. Only my main panel in the garage has the “Do not add new loads” label.
my entire home is backed up and i added a 240v 30amp circuit for Hybrid water heater to the load center .. there were 2 slots open (to create a 240v or 2x 120v) on my load center (labeled with the warning do not add loads) ... my experience
i had an electrician (relative) do calculations using the orig tesla calculations that i still had from tesla paperwork .. we then contacted tesla to see if they agreed with his calcs / and to be sure no warranty issues down the road .. tesla of course took forever to get back to us.. so we proceeded with adding the circuit and few days after we completed it Tesla finally got back saying it was fine to add circuit 😝
the mechanics of adding the circuit is no diff than adding a breaker to a panel . simple enough .. its just the added load calculations .. I actually did work myself w/ electricians supervision

Reactions: BGbreeder
Sure, photos attached.
The panel in the photo is full and appears to be a panel for just generation sources, not loads.

Do you have the one line diagram from the Tesla permit work? It certainly should be possible to add another panel next to those to supply new loads in the vicinity, if that is preferred over connecting to an existing panel much farther away.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: jboy210
The panel in the photo is full and appears to be a panel for just generation sources, not loads.

Do you have the one line diagram from the Tesla permit work? It certainly should be possible to add another panel next to those to supply new loads in the vicinity, if that is preferred over connecting to an existing panel much farther away.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks, I’ll have to dig up my original documentation from the install.

I was quoted with two options, 1 was a double breaker in panel in the photo. The other was to add an additional sub panel.