Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding driver not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had this exact scenario recently with my parents who live in California. They were out visiting us last year and I had my mom create an account for herself and added her to my car so she could control the heated seats from her phone in the back. A couple of months later she hired a Model 3 off of Turo and when the other driver tried to add her, she kept getting the same message in her app. When she created a new account and chose US as the region, it worked fine.

OP - did your wife accidentally select the wrong country when creating her Tesla account?
I don't believe so. Tesla fixed this issue for us at the back-end. No word of what they did or why it occurred.

My husband and I have the same issue. I got a support number from our service center, after we went there this morning and went through the exercise again.
I called (888-518-3752) and we went through steps to confirm the error and now they will manually add him to my car. He will have to call again to get me set for hiss car. :-(
Maybe if enough people raise a stink, they will finally invest the time it takes to figure out what the issue is.
BTW, hubby and I both have android phone, at the service center this morning we tested with an iPhone, no luck either.

My husband and I have the same issue. I got a support number from our service center, after we went there this morning and went through the exercise again.
I called (888-518-3752) and we went through steps to confirm the error and now they will manually add him to my car. He will have to call again to get me set for hiss car. :-(
Maybe if enough people raise a stink, they will finally invest the time it takes to figure out what the issue is.
BTW, hubby and I both have android phone, at the service center this morning we tested with an iPhone, no luck either.
I doubt it.....

I've tried to help Tesla many times on a few things recently. They don't seem interested in admitting problems and working with you/informing you when they have fixed them properly.

Other examples

1. Spotify - struggles to load the screen regardless of WiFi/Mobile signal strength - workaround change audio input to something else, back to Spotify, all works fine - that is a BUG - Tesla text me back/forth with constant delaying tactics rather than simply give me a call and explain it's a known issue and they are working on a fix. *** the same symptoms affect at least 10-15 people in the UK alone by looking at forums and I suspect probably hundreds / thousands ?

2. USB devices can crash the infotainment system and cause Black screen/Tesla log for a short period of time while driving. I can make the infotainment system crash by the presence of a specific USB drive setup. That is clearly not right and they could fix that but again, once I found my own workaround / discussed what was causing it myself they go radio silent on you... Once I found the cause myself there is no confirmation that they have passed the knowledge onto their development team & get them working on a fix.

What Tesla needs to do is allow people that have IT / Software experience to assist them and work in a better way than book a physical appointment / text back and forth. They treat all issues like they are hardware issues and they need a different way to raise software bugs from customers. Perhaps a support forum / ticketing system like this would dramatically accelerate their ability to improve their software.....

Reactions: Yachtsman
They seem to have fixed it by removing the Add Driver option in the app.
When I go to the security menu, there is no longer an Add Driver, which is annoying because I now need to add someone ;)
of course the web page still directs you to use the app

An update for anyone facing the same issue. There was some kind of issue on my account that Tesla were able to resolve when I phoned them (01628 450660 option 4 then option 4). We then had to wait 3 hours and then send the invite again, the on my wife’s phone killed the Tesla app and clicked the invite link and the car was added. She now shows as an additional driver in the security section on my app.

After over a year trying to add my wife as an additional driver, rather than her sharing my credentials, this still isn't working and just presents an error.

We're both running latest available Tesla app version, have separate Tesla accounts, both with MFA enabled, car is not lease...... So at a loss as to why this doesn't want to work.

With profile saving now available to your Tesla account, there's somewhat of a benefit for each driver having their own account for the car, rather than sharing accounts.

Service request now open with Tesla. Will update with results.

I contacted Tesla and they fixed it. However the system is still a bit temperamental. If after they fix it you click on an old invitation link, the whole system breaks again, so what I had to do was wait for their confirmation, delete all invites, delete the invite from the app, re-issue the invite link and then it worked.

• Helpful
Reactions: Medved_77
After over a year trying to add my wife as an additional driver, rather than her sharing my credentials, this still isn't working and just presents an error.

We're both running latest available Tesla app version, have separate Tesla accounts, both with MFA enabled, car is not lease...... So at a loss as to why this doesn't want to work.

With profile saving now available to your Tesla account, there's somewhat of a benefit for each driver having their own account for the car, rather than sharing accounts.

Service request now open with Tesla. Will update with results.
Tesla fixed this for me remotely.

Rather than allow me to add my wife as a second driver they went ahead and added her as a second driver.

She now has an account and can access the car with it. Can't see any option to link her settings to an online profile though. Will wait a bit and see what happens.

Same issue for me. My situation is I manage a Tesla that the owner is from over seas and firstly set up his tesla account over there. He bought a Tesla in the US and that's the one I manage. I'm currently on hold but this causes a real problem because I would like to add and remove drivers as I rent the car out on Turo. Tesla people that Turo a car on vacation want it in their app like it's there own car. This works just fine with another car I manage for my brother.