Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding new credit card to Tesla A/C - issue with billing postcode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to buy FSD for my M3 anticipating an imminent AU price rise. The credit card I used for the initial deposit doesn't have sufficient funds.

When I add different cards in my account, it asks for a billing postcode, but only accepts 5 digit numbers rather than the Australian 4 digits. I can get past the form by prefixing with a zero, but the actual payment fails (tried 2 different cards).

Anyone got any tricks to add an AU credit card successfully, or am I going to have to call someone on 2nd Jan?

Annoyingly when I set it back to my original card with the zero prefix trick, I can see a zero dollar auth transaction on that card, but I can't use that one due to insufficient funds.

This might not suit your preferences but...you might have enough time left to transfer balances from your 'good' card to others so leave enough space to authorise. An easier alternatives is to call your card issuing service line and ask for a temporary credit line increase to permit your transaction with Tesla. Depending on your issuer and your own history that often works. The major Australian issuers are considered fairly responsive.

(FWIW, in a prior incarnation I was a consultant on the authorisation system of one major Australia issuer.)

Happy new year, and thanks for the suggestions. I have an existing service appointment booked for some minor issues so I've added the FSD purchase/failure to that to record the issue.

Already transferred funds to the card that works, but both source/destination don't support the new payments platform, so they haven't shown up yet. It's a Visa debit card, not credit card, so I doubt the issuer will approve a limit increase.

Tesla makes it surprisingly difficult to give them money, I couldn't buy several hundred dollars of accessories when my car was delivered either.

Already transferred funds to the card that works, but both source/destination don't support the new payments platform, so they haven't shown up yet. It's a Visa debit card, not credit card, so I doubt the issuer will approve a limit increase.

For debit cards it is actually easier. The debit card limits in general and in Australia too, are set mostly to limit potential fraud risk. Since it is debit, not credit, if you contact your bank they can make a one time transaction approval above the standing limit. All you need to do is specify who the payee is and what the amount is. if the money in in the account they'll cooperate. There are three categories of debit card limits; 1) transaction size; 2)daily transaction limit (i.e. aggregate value of all transactions within a booking day, so weekends/holidays can have more than one booking day.)

So, the easiest way is to ask your bank for a one time large transaction authorisation, and not use the card fro anything else within that day.

Maybe this si too much information. Anyway you can still get the payment made prior to the appointment. Hopefully Tesla will allow the lower price.

Rang Tesla today, they acknowledged an existing website issue with adding new payment methods to your account. Looking at various forums, it's been an unresolved issue for quite some time.

Even processing manually on their end sounded like a frustrating process, the guy struggled with their system for 10 minutes before offering me a callback. But FSD is finally purchased now.

Definitely an area Tesla could improve on.

This isn't what I wanted to read - I was contemplating the same process, buying FSD with a different card.
Yeah, I'd just call Tesla to make the purchase with the different card. Despite the website looking like you're adding an additional card, you're actually editing the one payment method. So you may not be able to get the original card back on there if you mess with it right now.