Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Next Gen seats to an older S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i have a 2014 model S - and just bought 2019 seats... latest next gen model.. - should I remove all elektronic and transfere the old ele.. from the 2014 seats? ore just try to rewire? does anyone have diagram? my local tesla shop is not very "into it :)"

Read throughly this thread
P85 Premium Seat Retrofit

I just did that retrofit, it's a massive job but well worth it. you can pm me if you run into problems.

20201113_025806.jpg
20201113_025806.jpg

A classy two tone look. I think all car manufacturers will start doing it soon.

The similar threads below will good you if you go the splice route.

Adapters are available from Tesla, but my local service center have me trouble when I tried to order them.
If you can get some pictures of the adapters, you'll know right away.

Does anyone know if there are major differences between US and Canada seats? Looking to retrofit US seats in my car and saw codes are different, but without information on what exactly is different. Was planning to use the memory module from my seat and purchase the famous adapters (if I can get them from SC)

A Boxing Day project before the rains - 3 hours for the driver's seat, LOVE the result. I took my time and cleaned up the carpets, plus
I had the obligatory problems outlined below should you undertake this project

Observations/Lessons:
  1. Getting to and disconnecting the 12 volt battery was as much work as the seat swap. IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY? I would like to skip this step for the passenger seat.
  2. CHECK the wiring of the seat itself. I had the seat it all powered up, installed and powered up but it would not move forward or back. I still got a "click". Tilting the seat back I found a dangling wire, it took 5 minutes to find out where it plugged but suddenly it ALL worked once put into place.
  3. My T45 socket worked just fine - I ordered and received a T47 from Amazon before I started the project but the T47 was too big for my inner bolts - the outer was a T40 as prescribed here
  4. The new harness connector plugs could not reach the positions as taped - I needed to remove the tape holding the ends to spread them apart to their appropriate plugs.

The result, time, search for seats, search for cables, search for time to get to Calimotive was WORTH IT. The seat design for the Next Gen fits me like a glove, and completes the car some 5 years after buying the car. Looking forward to the passenger seat swap, here are some pictures!

IMG_4561.JPG

Moving and storing these seats is not trivial - they are heavy, kid's skateboards were utilized!

IMG_4563.JPG

Disconnecting the battery required a ridiculous amount of disassembly/re-assembly of the front tub. Impressive dust/dirt in here.

IMG_4557.JPG

Got the old seat out, revealing lots of carpet and portals for the wires (and dirt - time for the shop-vac)

IMG_4559.JPG

A better view of what you will find under the seat - I did not see a picture like this, so here is my contribution....
IMG_4560.JPG

the 3 connectors are here - for disconnection and for the new adapter harness

IMG_4562.JPG

The result! The new-old Next Gen is in better shape than the original seats - all the functions work including heat, I am so happy with the results, thank you for all the documentation within the forums!

Impressive. Pleased for you that it was a success. I had a '13 and after sitting in the Next Gen seats I considered doing this too. Only pair I could find was in Texas and shipping cost more than what the salvager wanted for the seats.

Thanks for the write up, I have a new to me ‘15 P85. Drivers seat won’t move, steering either and airbag light on. Seat is max low and back. I see the below connectors unattached. Point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• IMG_4731.jpeg
    IMG_4731.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 64
As I'd posted in another thread, I was in the process of trying to add Next Gen front seats to my 2014 Model S. I had missed the window for Tesla to do it (and I didn't want to pay over $6,000...), but this is my one bugaboo with our December 2014 build: the seats are not that comfortable for long drives (which we do several times each year).

I found a set of Next Gens here in the SF Bay Area. Unfortunately for me, I didn't recognize till after I got home that one was a 2015 vintage (passenger), while the drivers seat was built in December 2016.

The passenger seat was a direct swap. One wiring harness and the air bag connector. However, when I went to replace the drivers seat, I recognized the newer seat had connectors had been totally changed by Tesla, and were not compatible with an older car. I reached out to the prior owner, who had said these seats had been in his 2013 S. I didn't really get anywhere, as he said he had a mechanic do the swap, and he said the wiring harnesses needed to be changed from seat to seat. Looking closely, this appeared to me to be a very involved process, and quite frankly, the harness in the drivers seat did not appear to ever have been touched, let alone removed, swapped for a 2013 harness, then returned to the 2016 configuration.

Not wanting to tear the seat apart to get all the wires out (there are 25 wires in the two connectors of the 2014 seat), I started looking at other options. Doing a wire by wire comparison, I found that the 2016 seat only has 24 wires. The one extra wire in the 2014 seat is red with a green stripe. Acquiring a wiring diagram for the 2014 seat, it appears this extra wire is the ground wire for the seat heater. In the 2016 seat, the seat heater ground ties into another wire before the harness, resulting in one less wire.

Otherwise, all the wires match up color for color. Since I didn't want to tear the seat apart to replace the wires, I decided to explore simply cutting off the connectors from the 2014 seat and attaching them to the 2016 one (there is also a three wire harness for the air bag mounted in the seat. The connector is also different between the two seats, though the wire colors are consistent).

A couple of points if you ever decide to pull your own seats out:

1. Be sure to turn the power off in the vehicle before disconnecting or connecting any wiring...
2. There are two different sized Torx bolts holding the seat in: the two outer rails are secured by T-40 bolts, while the inner rails are held down with T-47 bolts. Before starting this, I didn't have a T-47 wrench. I quickly found out that a T-45 socket (that I did have) won't cleanly pull these two bolts. Buy a T-47 socket and save yourself lots of aggravation...

I initially cut the connectors off the 2016 seat. In doing so, I recognized there are two blue wires of similar size and two same sized yellow wires. One of the blue wires is the power for the underseat light. I marked both sides of the cut with black ink to differentiate them. Likewise, I determined where one of the yellow wires terminated at the Memory Seat Module harness (MSM), and marked that wire similarly.

Speaking of the MSM, be sure to take the MSM out of your seat and put it in the replacement one. This will apparently save you lots of grief, as I have been told that if you don't do this the new seat won't work in your car. (I swapped mine, and everything works fine).

The 2014 has one connector with 8 wires, one with 17, and the three wire airbag connector. I put a male insulated crimp connector on each wire coming out of the seat. There is a large black, a large red, and a medium sized green/yellow wire. Each of these got a larger connector, while all the rest got a smaller one.

I really hesitated in cutting the connectors off my 2014 seat, as I worried that if this didn't work (or something shorted out), it was going to be a nightmare to remedy. I waited several days before deciding this afternoon to move forward. I pulled the driver's seat out, and proceeded to do the deed.

Working slowly and meticulously, I added a female insulated crimp connector to each wire of the 2014 seat harnesses. I had left about 4" of wire on each harness, and ignored the red/green wire in the harness. I plugged each in, checked to be sure the connections were all solid, then wrapped each connection bundle with tape. I did the same with the airbag harness.

Putting the seat into the car, I plugged the connectors into the sockets, and loosely bolted the seat down. With trepidation, I turned the car back on, and low and behold, everything works. No error messages, all the functions are there, and the memory module (while having to have settings reset) works fine. Bolted the seat all the way in, and test drove it. So much more support than the original seats!!

The last thing I need to do is go to a body shop and have the tethers installed between the door panels and the doors (new with the Next Gen seats). I looked into the airbag timing, and have been assured that the change is so minute that it is not a problem, so for now I am not going to worry about having the airbag control module refreshed...

Here are some photos. While I just finished this today, I am already glad I went this route. I knew that if I tried remove the wiring harnesses completely from the seat that I would screw something up majorly...

Here are a few photos;

View attachment 285819 View attachment 285820 View attachment 285821View attachment 285822
WOW - I was thinking about putting Mercedes or BMW seats in - NOW maybe not with all the wires :)

Hi guys I was hoping you could help me identify these connectors.

I have 2015 85 with Gen2 seats (the ones with the pockets in the front). I want to get nextgen seats and found these from a 2015 p85d. Do the connectors look like the old Gen2 seats? I was hoping they would be plug-n-play since they are from the same year.

Do I need to swapt the seat "ECU" or just run the ones from the nextgen seats.

Thanks in advance for any imput.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 6.10.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 6.10.23 PM.png
    984.3 KB · Views: 33