Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Vehicle Information in 2020.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The general expectation, based on historical precedent, is that even if there are efficiency updates applied (or already applied a while back) to 2018/2019 cars, the 2020 will be the only one that uses the different constant and shows a higher range, though all vehicles could have equal efficiency. We’ll probably never know whether the underlying efficiencies are actually the same unless Elon answers the specific question

Right, which is my suspicion, too.

Just updated (2019 MS Raven LR.) Mine showed the Autopilot computer as 'Full self-driving computer' instead of version number.

o754FID.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
Set your display settings to display % charge only and enjoy life better. Quit worrying about your maximum range and just drive your car. You'll be happier and won't worry. You can use TeslaFi to figure out your battery degradation if you want to sign up for their excellent service. I've driven my Tesla Model 3 Performance for over 57k miles (on 20" tires during warm months, 19" winter tires in the cold months) only displaying the % charge and it makes life much easier. If you get bogged down in the range displayed it really doesn't mean anything other than what the current estimate is. Just use the energy graph to figure out if you can get to your destination. There is nothing you can really do about the 100% full distance anyways as that will vary over time. Stop worrying, charge you battery to 90% (or 80% for some believers) every night and just enjoy driving one of the best vehicles on the road.

I ordered my LR Model 3 on 11/25/19. The salesperson looked things up on her computer and said there were none in the area to sell me immediately and I could order it. She said there were some with the increased performance of the Performance model, but without the other things you mentioned. A disadvantage to me, IIRC, was that this special version was also lowered, which could be a problem in some areas I drive. I am not sure she called it a "stealth" model, but she did say it was not listed on the site. The cost was going to be $2000 and I elected not to do it. I took delivery on 12/21.

The "Upgrades" tab on the phone app lists it as an "acceleration boost" to give a 3.9 sec. time to 60 (not as good as the 3.2 for the Performance), again for $2000 plus tax. So far, the standard acceleration has been enough to knock off several pairs of my socks.

Reactions: GSP
I ordered my LR Model 3 on 11/25/19. The salesperson looked things up on her computer and said there were none in the area to sell me immediately and I could order it. She said there were some with the increased performance of the Performance model, but without the other things you mentioned. A disadvantage to me, IIRC, was that this special version was also lowered, which could be a problem in some areas I drive. I am not sure she called it a "stealth" model, but she did say it was not listed on the site. The cost was going to be $2000 and I elected not to do it. I took delivery on 12/21.

The "Upgrades" tab on the phone app lists it as an "acceleration boost" to give a 3.9 sec. time to 60 (not as good as the 3.2 for the Performance), again for $2000 plus tax. So far, the standard acceleration has been enough to knock off several pairs of my socks.

The version you were offered was not lowered, and even if it were the Performance suspension (which it wasn’t)- it’s only a tiny bit lower. In fact, it’s got very slightly more ground clearance than my 2016 VW Golf R. You probably should have gotten that Performance “stealth” car, but... if you’re content with the acceleration of your LR AWD then it would have been a wasted $2000.

Yep, makes sense. Even though you didn’t buy the FSD software, supposedly all cars built since April 2019 have the FSD computer. In other words, you have the hardware already, should you ever choose to order the software.

Tesla could have further clarified by putting “active” or “inactive” (or some other wording to this effect) to denote whether the car actually has purchased FSD or not.

Reactions: StephanB
Thanks. Question remains whether the EPA is just running different calculations on the 2020, or if there’s something else responsible for the increased range.
My guess is that there are different calculations for 2020's.

To me, this is all smoke and mirrors. EPA and Tesla get into a bunch of calculations that really don't resemble real life anyway. My stealth had a theoretical range of 310 before and now it's 319. It doesn't mean much to me.

Reactions: bizarro252
Yep that’s many of our suspicions, too. Smoke and mirrors indeed.

I believe that Tesla is trying to work out ways of calculating range as to make the Model 3 AWD family have 322 mile range (or thereabouts).

(My guess) This is likely part of a larger effort to change the Model Y EPA range from 280 to 315 (numbers released in the last few days). Why? Well, 280 mile range looks wimpy given where the Model 3 has been. 280 miles is also too close to many of the numbers Ford released for their upcoming EV crossovers.

Marketing and using science to manage the data - and a lot of "mine is bigger than yours!"

We're getting off topic from this thread again...but anyway:

Question remains whether the EPA is just running different calculations on the 2020, or if there’s something else responsible for the increased range.

Remember the EPA doesn't run these calculations - this is all Tesla - the EPA just publishes whatever Tesla tells them. The raw results (in orange) show a clear efficiency improvement for 2020 vehicles. They can't fudge these results much, really. They can fudge (and do) the final rated miles quoted through the use of a different scalar and the voluntary derating, but the efficiency can't be mucked with too much unless they really cheat on coastdown/coefficients.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
We're getting off topic from this thread again...but anyway:

Remember the EPA doesn't run these calculations - this is all Tesla - the EPA just publishes whatever Tesla tells them. The raw results (in orange) show a clear efficiency improvement for 2020 vehicles. They can't fudge these results much, really. They can fudge (and do) the final rated miles quoted through the use of a different scalar and the voluntary derating, but the efficiency can't be mucked with too much unless they really cheat on coastdown/coefficients.

Hey there. Love all your informative posts. Sorry to keep this off topic for a little longer, but regarding the above highlighted comment, what are your thoughts on why all 2019 performance models (with the Performance Upgrade Package) were rated for 310 miles; while the current 2020 performance models (with the PUP) are now rated for 299 miles. If Tesla was indeed able to improve efficiency with all 2020 Model 3’s, shouldn't we also see a range increase in this particular model/configuration?

Last edited: