Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

advice before picking up Model 3 standard range plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I am picking up my model 3 at the end of May and I was wondering if anyone had any advice before I pick up the car.
purchased so far:
-steel accelerator cover
-steel brake cover
-screen protector tempered glass

I still need to purchase mats, I'm debating on Tesla's all weather mats, weathertech or no name brand from Amazon which received 4 and a half stars. If you know of any other brands, please let me know.

Never joined a car forum so I am new to this and new to Tesla. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

I did not bother for frunk, rarely open
This is one where YMMV. I got the frunk one (others aren't sold by Tesla here so can't comment) and find it makes cleaning out the frunk really easy. But I use the frunk a lot and @Sandiegodoug doesn't which is why we differing on that.

Tesla didn't sell other mats for RHD when I got mine, and the biggest complaint I have about the 3rd party ones I got is they don't sit well on the dead pedal, and they fall down off the firewall so have a permanent fold where it bunches up on the passenger side. I have boys, so a rear mat has been pure gold for cleaning the car after they've been in it.

I have a screen protector as you have but didn't do the pedals. I also went for a Jeda hub to hide the SSD and give me extra ports. If you're into the games look into wireless controllers - I have a pair that live in the glovebox and that's been brilliant. Depending on your roads I'd recommend mud flaps too. I also went for the Tesla hub cover kit as I don't wear the aero covers most of the time. And I grabbed the Evannex silicon insert for the cup holders...again initially for ease of cleaning but in this case I do like how it holds bottles/cups in.

Since there's no spare tyre for long trips I also carry a repair kit, jack and a 12V compressor.

The only remaining thing that bugs me is I will be upgrading the lights in the boot/trunk though with an LED bar that goes the full width as the stock setup is feeble.

Congrats and welcome to the forums!

One accessory I think that has been great is a wireless charging pad for the model 3. You can purchase one from Tesla, or go with the numerous options from amazon. I went the amazon route and have been happy.

As far as floor mats, this is mainly a personal preference. I prefer the feel of carpet versus rubber, so I went with the OE Tesla carpet floor mats.

Reactions: BerkshireEV
Congrats on the purchase!

You may want to first take delivery of the car and THEN shop for all the cool aftermarket accessories that you can add and install. Having the car first will give you a better idea of what is important to you

Wasn't there recent thread where the mudflaps rubbed against the paint and caused damage?
I bought a roll of that 3m clear protector material off of amazon. Cut little pieces of the material for the paint under my mud flaps. Actually put two layers down and sanded down the flaps edges a bit because while an exacto knife wouldn’t even dent the material (had to use scissors) I was able to punch through a test piece using the mud flap. Also used the same roll to cover the model 3 aluminum door well plates (they scratch easily) and still have a ton extra (been cutting little pieces off as needed for covering my wife’s Apple Watch glass (works very well). Think the material is called vivid? Been a while since I ordered it.

Besides that fun, I’ve put little mirrors on my mirrors, covering on that glossy black console, cover on the console armrest (dog likes to sit there), harbor freight black moving blanket for trunk, larger purple blanket from harbor freight for use with seats folded down (both are exact size fits), tire repair kit, 12v low amp tire inflator, converted 4 hockey pucks into jack point protectors, glass cleaning cloths because that top and the windows seems much harder to keep clean with normal microfiber cloths for some reason, insert for front center console to hold sunglasses and cards and coins, 4 port usb extender for various usb flash and charger cables, screen protector, couple metal collapsible wheel wedges, and those little rubber insert pads for the console and cup holders to make cleaning easier.

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
Use one of the delivery checklists out there.
Get everything they promise to fix in writing.
Bring a Tesla veteran with you if possible. They look. You talk.
Have financing and insurance ready.
I use my frunk as my primary place to put stuff, definitely get a mat for it.

Be ready for “Tesla time” where many places you go and your neighbors will ask tons of questions.

Enjoy your car! Drive it, the first set of tires will need to be rotated more often since you’ll be experimenting with the torque often. Check your tire pressures weekly and keep them topped up. These are heavier cars and are less forgiving of low tire pressure when it comes to wear.

Floor mats, lots of choices out there. High performance over logos for me. There are many great options out there.

Wait until you’ve had the car for a few weeks to discover what accessories you might like. Research Jeda, Abstract Ocean, EVTuning (sale on mats right now), TSportline, and others...lots to consider.

Forum advice: search regularly, take everyone’s opinion with a grain of salt, make informed decisions after much research. Read more, post less.

Last edited:
I would say that if you aren't 100% happy with your car then deny it. You won't be able to unsee crooked body panels or giant gaps at least I can't. Make sure that any issues are dealt with or scheduled to be dealt with before paying. My parents were promised their crooked door would be fixed under warranty but that turned out to be false.
As for floor mats, I went through 3 different types before I settled with Tesla's cheaper mats. They work fine and you can probably find some for 50$ or less on craigslist. If you plan on putting any PPF or protective coverings on do it ASAP. Once you drive it for a few days I'm sure you will come up with a huge list of things you want.
My additions-
Aero wheel caps
Wood sticker for console
Suntek PPF
Opti-coat ceramic
Chrome delete
Phone charging chord
Screen cover
Trunk and Frunk liners
50$ mats off craigslist
Controller for games
Armrest cover
Stickers for inside door button so people can get out without asking me how
Front plate holder that attaches to grill instead of sticking on car.
ENJOY!

If you are a data nerd (and Tesla has the ability to heighten any such tendencies), make sure to keep one of your 'trip' meters for your lifetime usage (rename to such, or Don't reset, or the like).

I agree that most accessories or upgrades can wait until you've had the car for a while to see what you like and what you want to change, I would definitely suggest having your choice of console wrap ready right away.

The other thing you'll want pretty quickly is a usb stick or usb SSD for teslacam, and your music collection, if desired.

The other things to consider that haven't already been mentioned are:
Frunk hooks, a lock for the J1772 adaptor, and springs for auto-open of trunk and/or frunk.

Enjoy your new car!

I'd wait to order any wireless charger or USB hub to see whether Tesla switches over to the Model Y fitout, as they've done in China.

Whether this will happen for remainder of Q2 or Q3 we don't know, but they will make them common eventually