TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Advice: Broken J1772 Handle

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by SageBrush, Jun 9, 2017.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I privately traded my Nissan OEM J1772 mobile EVSE for one upgraded to 240 volts from a person who presumably wants the original when he turns in his lease. Seemed like a great deal at the time ... but it turns out that the latch mechanism that locks the handle into place is broken off at the end.

The latch should look like this ¬ (pointing towards the right) but the bottom facing part of broken off.

Questions:
    1. Will it work as is ?
    2. Is it safe to use ?

I would be the only one using this EVSE, and I would be careful to insert all the way into the car.
    I understand the risk of inadvertently pulling the EVSE out while charging

I searched the internet for a replacement handle with little success. Any leads would be most appreciated.

2. animorph

animorph Member

3. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Yes, although my cable is fine. The best outcome would be if I could open the handle and just replace the latch.