Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

advice on nema 6 50 extension cord to tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought model 3. Had the builder install a 240v outlet during a recent model and it has a nema 6 50 outlet. The tesla cable is only 20 ft and i need a 20 ft extension. If i use a nema 6 50 extension cable 20 ft long will i be ok. The advice is mixed and i think most warnings really infer home extension cords for 110v. I should not have much line loss on 20ft and have 6 gauge. But want to nake sure before i pay $88 dollars
Thanks

I think that depending on an extension cord for daily charging is a bad idea. You add an extra point of failure (the receptacle on the extension cord), and introduce trip and snag hazards. The length and wire size is not really an issue. Moving the outlet would consist of adding that same 20ft (or more) of similar wire in conduit...which is what I would do in your shoes.

Reactions: Big Earl
I hadn't thought about using a 6-50 extension cord... I think that's a good solution. I have a 14-50 extension cord, but it is damn heavy for only 15'. A 6-50 extension plus an adapter to 14-30 would be great for travel. It's too bad no one makes a 14-30 8-gauge, three conductor extension cord.

Retired Electrician here: #6 or #8 are both good for 32 amps. If running 40 feet, I would opt for #6 just because of potential losses in the cable. With 20' it is not a big deal. The important part is the plug and receptacle connection as that is the weakest link. If you just plug in the extension and leave it plugged in, providing both are in good condition, there shouldn't be any problem. I would also leave the charger plugged in. Unplugging frequently can cause the receptacle to loose contact strength as they are not really made for frequent insertions unless industrial grade.
Another thought is to get an electrician to run a cable from the one box to a better located box. Almost the same as an extension cord but with a better connection at one end.

I'm short by only a few inches and I don't want to stress the connection. I bought this 10ft extension cord on amazon to have some leeway.
  • NEMA 6-50 Male Plug and Female Connector, 10ft cord
  • EV/ Welder Extension Cord
  • STW, 8/3, 600 Volt, Anti-Cold Weather Jacket
  • UL, C-UL Listed