Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on removing the accelerator pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I could use some advice on the best process for accessing and removing the accelerator pedal.

A panel covers up the wiring under the dash but unfortunately also blocks access to the bolts for removing the pedal--see the picture with the big red circle. The panel has a hex screw for release on the left side (small red circle in the second picture) and some sort of latch near the center against the firewall. I can release both successfully.

However, I can't figure out how to release the right side of the panel--the part that abuts the center console. It appears to be secured by a hidden screw/bolt in the area indicated by the red question mark. Any ideas on how to gracefully remove this panel?

Thanks in advance for any help offered for this admittedly obscure tech request.

Marc

1.jpg
2.jpg

Hi Green1,

Thanks for the advice. I fiddled around several times and couldn't find the clips you mentioned, but managed to reach far enough from the left side to reach the accelerator pedal. We're trying a new, range-improving technology that plugs in on top of the pedal.

Any chance you could make a quick diagram of where the latches are? Tesla corp hasn't been helpful on this; they keep their cards close to their chest.

I would be happy to send you a pre-production unit for testing on your Tesla if you like, except we're not authorized for sale/distribution in Canada yet. Sorry!

Marc

you don't have to unlatch anything, just pull and the clips will release.

The edge of the yacht floor area overhangs the panel on the edge of the footwell, you simply pull straight towards the door and it will pull off. After that the footwell panel will pull off the same way.

The trim clips are strong, but come off if you start at one end and work towards the other.

Too bad I didn't read this last night, I had that all off last night for another project anyway, I would have taken pictures.

I previously pulled on that panel before in the way I think you describe and it didn't budge. I applied enough pressure that I thought I risked damaging it if I pulled any harder. I wonder if there's some variation to the process depending on year. If you ever get a future opportunity to take a photo, please do--it will be appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll try again starting from one end of the panel instead of the middle. Thanks for the advice!

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Hopefully won't post a later reply with a sad face!
I am also in the process of installing a mod to extend range. Like your situation, I need to disconnect the throttle sensor and plug in the sensor to the mod and the mod end into the pedal.

Any luck with using more force than probably you are comfortable with disconnect the throttle sensor? I took some pliers to it after moving the locking clip upwards. Still pretty tight on even with pilers.