Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice requested: 2015 Model S 70 with 131k miles ... battery / drive unit warranties expiring December '23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this forum. We OG buyers are not happy with all the "batterygate" issues...we used to drive our S regularly from Los Angeles to Utah but now that it supercharges at a whopping 24 kw per hour, that adds at least three hours to the drive. Gas-powered SUV to the rescue, boo Tesla. We mostly use the S now for school and local drives but the warranty on battery is at 18 months now. No battery issues yet other than the artificially manipulated Supercharging rates. Rivian not out yet. For us, this is a classic case of "love the car, angry at the company." What to do? Hope the battery fails within the next 18 months or sell it?

If the battery fails there's no guarantee the replacement will be any better when it comes to supercharging speed. If that's a dealbreaker for you, you should probably move on.
Hmm, my thought was that the "new" battery would not be subject to artificially slow Supercharging. That is what my friend has experienced with both of his Model S's - his and his wife's. They were early adopters like us, but their batteries died at 90K and 100K and were replaced by Tesla at no cost b/c they were still under warranty. He now exclusively charges at a local Supercharger b/c it's so fast and is free for life, as is ours. (Cheaper than paying utilities here in CA.) Ours is at 130K and battery still working like a charm - hence the 24 kw per hour rate we get. We are the exact demographic that Tesla wants to 'force' to buy a new S rather than pay to replace the current battery. ;)

Hmm, my thought was that the "new" battery would not be subject to artificially slow Supercharging. That is what my friend has experienced with both of his Model S's - his and his wife's. They were early adopters like us, but their batteries died at 90K and 100K and were replaced by Tesla at no cost b/c they were still under warranty. He now exclusively charges at a local Supercharger b/c it's so fast and is free for life, as is ours. (Cheaper than paying utilities here in CA.) Ours is at 130K and battery still working like a charm - hence the 24 kw per hour rate we get. We are the exact demographic that Tesla wants to 'force' to buy a new S rather than pay to replace the current battery. ;)
It's a complete roll of the dice dependent on what Tesla has available in inventory for battery replacements at the time.

You might get a brand new battery. You might get a refurbished 70 that is just like the one you have now. You might get a refurbished 75. Luck of the draw...

It's a complete roll of the dice dependent on what Tesla has available in inventory for battery replacements at the time.

You might get a brand new battery. You might get a refurbished 70 that is just like the one you have now. You might get a refurbished 75. Luck of the draw...
But my question is whether a refurbished battery from Tesla would be subject to the same artificially-imposed Supercharging limits. If refurbished, that's a "no" right? It's hard to predict I guess. Hoping for the outcome my friends had with battery replacements resulting in restored rates of supercharging, not 20 kw per hour. LOL.

New to this forum. We OG buyers are not happy with all the "batterygate" issues...we used to drive our S regularly from Los Angeles to Utah but now that it supercharges at a whopping 24 kw per hour, that adds at least three hours to the drive. Gas-powered SUV to the rescue, boo Tesla. We mostly use the S now for school and local drives but the warranty on battery is at 18 months now. No battery issues yet other than the artificially manipulated Supercharging rates. Rivian not out yet. For us, this is a classic case of "love the car, angry at the company." What to do? Hope the battery fails within the next 18 months or sell it?
What is the artificially manipulated supercharging rate? How and when did that happen. Maybe I don't understand your issue, so looking to end my ignorance. Thanks