Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero caps or stock Gemini wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-Like anything else that induces drag, the plastic hubcaps help at high speeds more than low speeds. They help at 70-100mph more than at speeds like 35-50. The 5-7% efficiency loss without them is going to happen at high speeds. At low speeds the loss is probably more like 1-3%, hardly noticeable. Do you drive really-fast highway speeds often?
5-7% at speed? You have a source for that? Seems pretty high.

WITHOUT Gemini wheel covers:

I just completed a 2k road trip, FW-Denver-Aspen-FW. 60% interstate, 75-80mph. Over Independence Pass TWICE, never a thought about efficiency.

289 wh/mi for the trip. I'll be keeping the Geminis in the storage bag I purchased from Abstract Ocean.

Reactions: DanDi58
I removed the Aero Caps almost immediately and had my Apollo wheel paint gloss black along with the calipers.
9JmCxki.jpg

But am intrigued with RIMETRIX's new Aero Cap's for the Model Y and am on their waiting list.

Two days ago my wife "curbed" one of my wheels, which cost me $80 to have repaired.
UH0ODFC.jpg

So now I'm even more interested in the new Aero Caps.
You could try rim protectors, and if you get it in black, may cover up this rash.

WITHOUT Gemini wheel covers:

I just completed a 2k road trip, FW-Denver-Aspen-FW. 60% interstate, 75-80mph. Over Independence Pass TWICE, never a thought about efficiency.

289 wh/mi for the trip. I'll be keeping the Geminis in the storage bag I purchased from Abstract Ocean.
Ditto. I just did about 700 miles to/from Cape Cod MA from NJ. Cruise was set to 73 mph, and I did about 275 wh/mi for the trip (this is just the highway part). No covers on. And I just stopped once each way when the car told me to!