Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero caps or stock Gemini wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the fence as to which way to go. I have my 2021 MY now for 6 weeks and 5 of them have been with the caps removed and the center and lug nut covers installed. The look is great but, the aero caps look good also. Is there really a noticeable difference in mileage with the aero caps on?
I’ve read maybe 2-3%. Been running my naked Geminis for a couple weeks as well. Much prefer the look.

Is there an easy way to remove the wheel center cap?

I also have the aero cover removed on my MY and wheel center caps installed. For road trips, I may go back to the aero cover but don’t see an easy way to take out the center cap without removing the wheel from the car and pushing the cap from the inside. I tried a suction cup but it doesn’t stick.

-Efficiency vs looks. Tough first world problem for sure.

-Like anything else that induces drag, the plastic hubcaps help at high speeds more than low speeds. They help at 70-100mph more than at speeds like 35-50. The 5-7% efficiency loss without them is going to happen at high speeds. At low speeds the loss is probably more like 1-3%, hardly noticeable. Do you drive really-fast highway speeds often?

-Repeated installation and removal of the hubcaps will leave marks on the rims so if you make the decision of keeping them off, leave them off forever (like I did)

-They dont shield the outermost lip of the rim from scratches.

-if you decide to keep them on, keep them on forever because you won’t like what you see when you remove them later on (black nick marks all over the edges of the rim), not to mention the wheels will be very dirty from all the collected dirt and grime.

Last edited:
I removed the Aero Caps almost immediately and had my Apollo wheel paint gloss black along with the calipers.
9JmCxki.jpg

But am intrigued with RIMETRIX's new Aero Cap's for the Model Y and am on their waiting list.

Two days ago my wife "curbed" one of my wheels, which cost me $80 to have repaired.
UH0ODFC.jpg

So now I'm even more interested in the new Aero Caps.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ