TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Aero covers for 19” wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by omar, Mar 6, 2018.

1. omar

omar Member

I ordered the 19” sport wheels with my car but I’ve been hearing that the range difference can be as much as 10%!? That’s 30+ miles on the long range!

Extra range would be nice on road trips. Does anyone know if they make aero covers that will fit the 19” wheel that help with range?

PS before people comment “just get the 18s” It’s because I’m vain and love the look of the 19s. Getting them powder coated grey to go with my white M3

• Like x 1
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

just get the 18's

• Funny x 7
  3. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Get the 18s for road trips, and order 20's aftermarket for daily use!

• Helpful x 1
  4. xav-

xav- Active Member

Test I have seen so far suggests 4 percent gain... not super scientific test... but "someone on Tesla motors club heard the VP of engineering claiming 10 percent gains" is not scientific either.

5. sreams

sreams Member

That test was comparing 18s with aero caps to 18s without. 19s vs 18s with aero caps would probably result in a larger range gap than 4%.

• Like x 2
  6. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

The data that Tesla submitted to the EPA indicated that energy consumption of the 18" Aero wheels was 10% less than the 19" Sport wheels.

More details here: Aero Efficiency

• Informative x 1
  7. xav-

xav- Active Member

I did not realize that.. thanks