Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheel cap kit question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, waiting for my deliver of my Model 3 (Says end of Sept). I am getting the 18" w/Aero wheels. From what I'm reading, they are easy to take off? As in I should be concerned with them getting stolen? I live in the NYC metro area and people have broken into cars for loose change. Anyway to secure them or just take them off and use for long trips?

Thanks, Matt

Hello, waiting for my deliver of my Model 3 (Says end of Sept). I am getting the 18" w/Aero wheels. From what I'm reading, they are easy to take off? As in I should be concerned with them getting stolen? I live in the NYC metro area and people have broken into cars for loose change. Anyway to secure them or just take them off and use for long trips?

Thanks, Matt
I think you are talking about the hubcaps themselves.

They took me all of 3 minutes to remove all 4 and I'm sure a pro could do it in 30 seconds for all 4. I took them off at delivery, within seconds of seeing the car and from what I've seen, most other 18" owners did the same. The rims look very good underneath - not as good as the 19", but very good - especially with certain colors and I don't think the mileage penalty is very bad, even for long trips just taking it down 2 or 3 miles an hour to improve mileage. In any case, I doubt they would be worth anything to sell as they likely only fit the model 3. My suggestion is to remove them yourself and stop thinking about it unless you have some specific reason to keep them on? The cap kit looks good.
Order them ahead of time so you have them for delivery:
Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

Thanks, Matt

Yes you just pull them and they come off. Very easy to take off and out in when needed. Wheels underneath look great as Robert2in mentioned. You can look on YouTube to see how easy it is to do

They are really stuck in there pretty tight. I doubt they will be falling off. The lug nut covers on the other hand seem like they could come off, but they haven’t. I think I’ve had this setup for about a month now.

I swore I was going to lose the lug nut covers cuz they are so lose. But I’ve been running them for over 2000 miles. They’re still there.

Ok, I'm getting the midnight silver and like the look of them on/off. Thanks for the info. I watched a couple videos on You Tube and then ordered the wheel cap kit.

I don’t know how you will feel but I actually ended up preferring the look of the aero wheels over the wheels underneath on my MSM. It looks like a space car with them on. It’s nice to have the two options though.

Reactions: akidesir and landis
I don’t know how you will feel but I actually ended up preferring the look of the aero wheels over the wheels underneath on my MSM. It looks like a space car with them on. It’s nice to have the two options though.

I bought the kit a month before I took delivery. If I have taken delivery, I may not have bought the kit as the aero caps look good to me. Since I already bought the kit, I put them on and store away the caps. Everyone I showed the car to said the it looks better without the caps and they didn't know that they came off.

m3_aero.JPG
m3_aero_off.JPG

I bought the kit a month before I took delivery. If I have taken delivery, I may not have bought the kit as the aero caps look good to me. Since I already bought the kit, I put them on and store away the caps. Everyone I showed the car to said the it looks better without the caps and they didn't know that they came off.

View attachment 331777 View attachment 331778
Definitely looks better with the Aeros off.

I enjoy my blue with and without the aero covers

Changing it up helps bring back novelty of 'new' car. Got the small suction puller listed somewhere so changing is easy.

Ran with until tire rotation, than without for several weeks. Just put them back on for a trip and plan to leave on for a bit.

My commute includes significant portion at about 80 mph. So capturing more numbers for fun.