Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After last update car keep charging in 16 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After last update on my model y , I am experiencing that car charges ok to 32amps but after 1:30 hour car drops to 16amps why?? Have I check the outlet and is all ok , I never had this problem before before the las update . Any clues ? Any updates to fix this?

It's probably not the update. This is a common failure mode for both the EVSE and the car's charger. What does the charging screen say when it's charging at 16a? There's two numbers separated by a slash like 32a/32a. The first number is the amount the car is drawing and the second is the amount the EVSE is advertising. If the second number is 16a, then the EVSE is throttling the charge, if the second number is 32a, it's the car.

A couple more things to try, after the car has been charging at 32a for 20min or so, stop the charge, pull the plug from the wall and feel the blades of the plug. If they are too hot to handle, there's something wrong with your outlet. Warm is fine, HOT is not. Also try charging at a different EVSE, or having someone else use your charging setup.

It's probably not the update. This is a common failure mode for both the EVSE and the car's charger. What does the charging screen say when it's charging at 16a? There's two numbers separated by a slash like 32a/32a. The first number is the amount the car is drawing and the second is the amount the EVSE is advertising. If the second number is 16a, then the EVSE is throttling the charge, if the second number is 32a, it's the car.

A couple more things to try, after the car has been charging at 32a for 20min or so, stop the charge, pull the plug from the wall and feel the blades of the plug. If they are too hot to handle, there's something wrong with your outlet. Warm is fine, HOT is not. Also try charging at a different EVSE, or having someone else use your charging setup.
Hi thanks, it's starts in 32/32 amp. After 2 hours max it turns down to 16amp. You can't go up . This happen after update.

I go to the garage and disconnect the mobile chsrger 5 seconds and connect to the car again and go back to normal and charge all the way .

I charge my neighbor model 3 and no problem so must be something with my car . Have charge in th same place for 0
10month. And no problem I update the car and start with this problem , plus I forgot no lore auto lights and auto wipers. All after update.

I took the car to service does not show.no problem not even in history or any hardware problem so I dont know what to do.

Hi thanks, it's starts in 32/32 amp. After 2 hours max it turns down to 16amp. You can't go up . This happen after update.

I go to the garage and disconnect the mobile chsrger 5 seconds and connect to the car again and go back to normal and charge all the way .

I charge my neighbor model 3 and no problem so must be something with my car . Have charge in th same place for 0
10month. And no problem I update the car and start with this problem , plus I forgot no lore auto lights and auto wipers. All after update.

I took the car to service does not show.no problem not even in history or any hardware problem so I dont know what to do.
We need to know what that second number says after it goes into 16a charging.

The specific question is: when this problem occurs, does the car show 16/16A or 16/32A?

To me, this sounds like your car’s internal charger is staring to fail.
Do not show 16/16A or 16/32A it just turn down to 16amp nothing else , so top.charge rate is 16amp no more than that you can go up .

That could be my biggest fear a problem like that 😔😔 because here in Costa Rica we don't have Tesla dealership.

What does your car show here, both when you start charging and after you experience this 16 amp limitation.

8BF9AF3A-14AA-48B8-974F-EEB9733B627F.jpeg

Reactions: Rocky_H
This how it appears after charging 32amp/32amp for couple of hours . Like I said this appear exactly when I update the car together with no auto lights and no auto wipers. So I go down to the garage disconnect th car and the. Disconnect the outlet for 5 seconds and charge it and and go back again to 32 /32 and no problem , so is not hot or anything like that because if this was th case no matter if I connect the car again it will still hot and no make it . But go back to normal

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-19-12-03-42-014_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-19-12-03-42-014_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 74
This how it appears after charging 32amp/32amp for couple of hours . Like I said this appear exactly when I update the car together with no auto lights and no auto wipers. So I go down to the garage disconnect th car and the. Disconnect the outlet for 5 seconds and charge it and and go back again to 32 /32 and no problem , so is not hot or anything like that because if this was th case no matter if I connect the car again it will still hot and no make it . But go back to normal
Are you running a generator or are you connected to the power grid?

Are you running a generator or are you connected to the power grid?
House normal power ,. For this car over ten month I have charge the car with no problem the 240v outlet I did one total separate from the house so I have not problem and work good over10month now keeps happening every time I charge the car pulls out and go limited charge to 16amp , I go down and disconnect the power supply and go back to normal and charge all the way ok. So is not a problem of temperature . I can't figure it out. I will check the outlet wires and see if any visible problems of is all ok the breaker is not hot , is a 100amp breaker with a good wires , and ground perfectly I even put a copper well pipe and ground it even more and be safe , . Like I said work perfectly over 10month , this happen after update.

100A breaker for the whole house or for the circuit? Even though not in US you should only use a 50A breaker for the charging circuit with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Is there a separate earth ground for the 14-50 receptacle or did you upgrade the ground at the service panel to connect to the copper well pipe. There should only be one earth ground (at the service panel) else you can have ground loops.

Can you please post pictures of your circuit breaker panel and the receptacle that you plug the car charging equipment into?

When you say you unplug it and plug it back in again, do you unplug the charging equipment from the car or are you unplugging it from the wall?

When the car is charging at 32 amps, what voltage is displayed on the screen/app?

100A breaker for the whole house or for the circuit? Even though not in US you should only use a 50A breaker for the charging circuit with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

Is there a separate earth ground for the 14-50 receptacle or did you upgrade the ground at the service panel to connect to the copper well pipe. There should only be one earth ground (at the service panel) else you can have ground loops.

Can you please post pictures of your circuit breaker panel and the receptacle that you plug the car charging equipment into?

When you say you unplug it and plug it back in again, do you unplug the charging equipment from the car or are you unplugging it from the wall?

When the car is charging at 32 amps, what voltage is displayed on the screen/app? It shows 240v
16609366746731874682423343482701.jpg

So it's showing 16a for the second number and we now know it's the mobile connector or the outlet... And you seem to have found a bad ground wire, which could explain it.

Just finish charging it to 100 it took 2:45 min and no problem. Let see in a couple of days if it fix or not. I hope it does. Yeah ground wire was holding with only to little wires and the others were broken so I guess It could be a problem so I will let you all know thank you for all 💪👍

Just finish charging it to 100 it took 2:45 min and no problem. Let see in a couple of days if it fix or not. I hope it does. Yeah ground wire was holding with only to little wires and the others were broken so I guess It could be a problem so I will let you all know thank you for all 💪👍
Change the circuit breaker to 50A for safety.

If you regularly plug and unplug the NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter from the 14-50 outlet the 14-50 receptacle will not continue to maintain a tight grip on the plug. You would have to replace the receptacle if you start to experience issues such as overheating due to a loose connection with the power plug.

Use a support for the Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit.) The power plug pigtail is not designed to support the weight of the Mobile Connector. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a wall mount for the Mobile Connector, else you can make one. Even a hook, nail etc. and a bungee cord can take the weight off of the power plug.