Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY misses charging schedule after a software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. I tried it today.

Here's the mobile app's Schedule Departure settings:

View attachment 976437

The car succeeded in charging during off-peak hours without preconditioning the interior.
That meant not running the A/C; leaving the interior temperature several degrees above the climate control set point.

Does it operate differently for you?
No, it does the same. Seems like what's expected, right?

Got home with 33% state of charge last night, woke up this morning and the car had done absolutely no charging. Both departure time and off peak are set to end at 8AM. It's insane how unreliable this scheduled departure feature is.

I think I'm going to switch to scheduled charging just so that I don't have to frustrate myself watching this feature randomly work/not work and potentially leaving me without range in the morning.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Failed again this morning but in my iOS app and noticed my “location” was not updating and showing my work address. Perhaps the car is stuck somewhere in updating location and not taking a charge? I don’t know 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I think there is something to that. I’ve noticed that sometimes location says next door, sometimes across the street. If for whatever reason the car thinks it is somewhere other than the set location, it won’t charge. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this as well.

• Informative
If for whatever reason the car thinks it is somewhere other than the set location, it won’t charge. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this as well.
That's definitely how it works. It creates the schedule attached to that location. For instance, you would want it to charge at a certain time overnight at home, but want it to charge immediately when you plug in at work. Last year, my old 2014 S85 was having a lot of problems with its GPS, and it would show my car a few blocks away in the subdivision, and wouldn't follow my scheduled charge start time or lowered amp limit, which are part of that location.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Failed again this morning but in my iOS app and noticed my “location” was not updating and showing my work address. Perhaps the car is stuck somewhere in updating location and not taking a charge? I don’t know 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't know how iOS handles app permissions but on Android you can set your Location setting to "allow all the time" to ensure it is always grabbing the current location.

I think there is something to that. I’ve noticed that sometimes location says next door, sometimes across the street. If for whatever reason the car thinks it is somewhere other than the set location, it won’t charge. I’m curious if anyone else has noticed this as well.
I have noticed this as well where the home address listed on the GPS is wrong in the Tesla app and that is because the Tesla app pulls the GPS map location data from Google Maps. I did a search of my home address on Google Maps and it was the same wrong location as the Tesla app. I made Google Map suggested edits for my home address and placed the pin at the correct location in my complex and submitted it for review. In fact I ended up correcting most of the building numbers for the entire condo complex since it was mislabeled in the wrong location.

Google maps team reviewed and accepted my changes to my home address like 2 days later and verified on Google Maps that the pin was in fact pointing my home in the correct location. I went back into the Tesla app and voila the Tesla app shows my correct address now for my location. Its something to consider if you have never really paid attention to where Google Maps things your location is. This is usually a problem in an apartment/condo complex with so many units around and the buildings are not labelled.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. Just got my car recently and have only charged it 4 times. The first 3 times, the scheduled departure and off peak hours feature worked fine although it ran about 20 minutes past the off peak end time. Last night it didn't charge at all!

Luckily I don't drive that much every day. I will probably plug it in every night and monitor the behavior for awhile. But this is extremely inconvenient because it essentially makes these charging features useless and I pay less for electricity during off peak times.

I am having the same problem. Just got my car recently and have only charged it 4 times. The first 3 times, the scheduled departure and off peak hours feature worked fine although it ran about 20 minutes past the off peak end time. Last night it didn't charge at all!

Luckily I don't drive that much every day. I will probably plug it in every night and monitor the behavior for awhile. But this is extremely inconvenient because it essentially makes these charging features useless and I pay less for electricity during off peak times.
In the "charge" tab try setting the schedule charging for a few minutes *after* your off peak rate begins. You can still set a time for preconditioning in the "departure"tab if you have a set schedule that you want the car to be warm/cool at.

I may resort to using scheduled charging. But this is not ideal.

First of all, on some days I drive significantly more than usual and the charge time will differ depending on what the charge level is at start of charging, so I would typically need to start charging significantly earlier to account for the occasional days where the charge starts lower than usual. Second, I charge at 32A and starting earlier means that I will have to go outside the range of minimum electricity cost. Third, on most days the charging will be complete hours earlier which results in the battery sitting at 100% charge for longer duration which isn't optimal for the battery.

Depending on your driving, it might not be necessary to charge to 100%. And it may not be necessary to fully charge every day. Some people with very limited charging capability than you have just charge as much as they can each day, and on some days drive with much less than full charge, eventually catching up on days they do not drive that much or if necessary stop once in once a while at a supercharger to top off. The point is, that often there is no need to start out each day at 100%.

I charge our MX to 70% for daily driving. If I know I will be driving a lot the next day, then I charge to between 80 and 95% depending on where I am going.

If you have other than LFP battery, try charging to 90% the night before you will be using the car a lot. (Assuming you know in advance your schedule.)

If you have the M3 RWD, 100% is not that big a problem. We do not have a schedule that allows for charging right before departure, and we charge our M3 RWD to 100% about once, sometimes twice a week, and it sits at 100% for a long time (more than a day) sometimes, so for us it would make no difference if we use schedule charging or departure charging.

What is your off peak time period? If it is like most places, you should have at least from midnight to 6 AM.

Well I requested support from Tesla. They told me the first thing was to reset the car, which I already did, and they knew I already did it which was neat. They also told me to try plug it in every day to charge daily although it wasn't clear why that would help the issue.

I was already planning on starting to charge every night anyway, because if it skips one night of charging it usually won't be as big a deal. I understand there is evidence that this may decrease capacity a bit more over time than if I charged once every 2-3 nights, but I have the LFP in my Model 3 so I'm not quite as concerned about that. Also, it's really annoying to have to baby a battery, I would much rather plug in every day without thinking about it and leave every day with a full charge with zero range anxiety regardless of what the day may bring. That's the approach I take with my cell phone which gets charged multiple times a day, and it's much less stressful even if capacity does degrade more. But, we'll see how my approach changes if the off-peak charging schedule builds some trust back with me.

Also, it's really annoying to have to baby a battery,
You don't have to.
I would much rather plug in every day without thinking about it and leave every day with a full charge with zero range anxiety regardless of what the day may bring.
You can.
Although I will say something about cell phone batteries. Some of the cell phone makers are FINALLY putting in the feature to enable us to cap the charging limit to a lower level, like 80 or 85%. Because that thing you just described, of just plugging your phone in and letting it charge all the way full and sit overnight, was TRASHING cell phone batteries! But the cell phone makers didn't care. In fact, they liked that, because it became a nice motivating factor to prod people to keep replacing their phones every couple of years. And even people who were annoyed by it could get a phone battery replaced for about $50, so it wasn't too bad a deal anyway. The same is approximately true for laptop batteries as well.

So yeah. You can just set the car's limit somewhere below all the way full one time and then forget it. Plug in as often as you want to and don't worry about it. That really does work, and you don't have to baby it or obsess about it.

Reactions: Eric33432
I have had my schedule charging not work twice recently on my 2023 Model 3. I have had the car since June and it hasn't happened till a recently. I just got the Holiday Update yesterday and it did not charge this morning. I think the last time it happened was the morning after the last update. So hopefully it charges tonight on schedule.

You don't have to.

You can.
Although I will say something about cell phone batteries. Some of the cell phone makers are FINALLY putting in the feature to enable us to cap the charging limit to a lower level, like 80 or 85%. Because that thing you just described, of just plugging your phone in and letting it charge all the way full and sit overnight, was TRASHING cell phone batteries! But the cell phone makers didn't care. In fact, they liked that, because it became a nice motivating factor to prod people to keep replacing their phones every couple of years. And even people who were annoyed by it could get a phone battery replaced for about $50, so it wasn't too bad a deal anyway. The same is approximately true for laptop batteries as well.

So yeah. You can just set the car's limit somewhere below all the way full one time and then forget it. Plug in as often as you want to and don't worry about it. That really does work, and you don't have to baby it or obsess about it.
This doesn't work with the LFP battery because it needs to periodically be charged to 100% to give an accurate range estimate. So I'm just planning to charge to 100% every day.

I have had my schedule charging not work twice recently on my 2023 Model 3. I have had the car since June and it hasn't happened till a recently. I just got the Holiday Update yesterday and it did not charge this morning. I think the last time it happened was the morning after the last update. So hopefully it charges tonight on schedule.
Did you do the 2-thumb reboot after installing those updates? Supposedly it reduces problems after updates, and it can't hurt.