Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY misses charging schedule after a software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car started missing scheduled "depart at" schedules.
This has never happened before, now it happens somewhat often. I think there is some bug in one of the recent software updates, I stay up to date on those.
Probably missed 3-5 charges in the last 3-4 weeks.
I set my schedule to depart at 9am and charge to 60%.
This happened today again. The car was at 25% yesterday and I left it to charge overnight to be ready in the morning.
There is no problem with charger or anything else, when I click Start Charging, it always charges fine.
Just a scheduling bug.. has anyone experienced this too?

Reactions: fsb1
Hard to debug this until we clear up confusion. "Depart at" is a climate control setting--not a charge scheduling setting. It's a confusing thing in the Tesla interface why they have a heating/cooling control on the charging screen. So if you want to set a schedule for charge time to end, you have to turn on the "Off peak" setting, and set the end of your "Off peak" time.

I've had weird things happening after a software upgrade to 2023.26.7. I did a two wheels reset following power down (my car-safety) + 5 minutes wait which seem to help. Now, I do reset after every upgrade. I am on 26.9 and so far have not seeing anything weird. 🤞

Reactions: fsb1
This has never happened before, now it happens somewhat often. I think there is some bug in one of the recent software updates, I stay up to date on those.
I set my schedule to depart at 9am and charge to 60%.
This happened today again. The car was at 25% yesterday and I left it to charge overnight to be ready in the morning.
There is no problem with charger or anything else, when I click Start Charging, it always charges fine.
Just a scheduling bug.. has anyone experienced this too?
This just happened to me a few days after my update to 2023.26.11. It only happed once but, even though I have it on scheduled 'leave by' charge rate, I thought it was something I did.

I'm going to try the two-button reset (mentioned by @msinfo) before tonight's charge and see what happens.

Reactions: Tagar
This just happened to me a few days after my update to 2023.26.11. It only happed once but, even though I have it on scheduled 'leave by' charge rate, I thought it was something I did.

I'm going to try the two-button reset (mentioned by @msinfo) before tonight's charge and see what happens.
The two-button reset didn't work. This morning the car missed the scheduled charging again.

I logged into the wall charger but there's no alerts and it states it's still connected to my wifi. I'm not sure why it's doing this, I'm hoping it's just user error and that I did something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.

Reactions: Tagar
Hard to debug this until we clear up confusion. "Depart at" is a climate control setting--not a charge scheduling setting. It's a confusing thing in the Tesla interface why they have a heating/cooling control on the charging screen. So if you want to set a schedule for charge time to end, you have to turn on the "Off peak" setting, and set the end of your "Off peak" time.
This is not quite true. If your depart time is earlier than your off-peak time, the car will finish changing (and precondition) by the Scheduled departure time. To summarize, charging will finish before the earlier of depart time and off peak time.

The two-button reset didn't work. This morning the car missed the scheduled charging again.

I logged into the wall charger but there's no alerts and it states it's still connected to my wifi. I'm not sure why it's doing this, I'm hoping it's just user error and that I did something wrong but I can't figure out what it is.
I did the 'power down' on the car, let it sit for 5 min, then powered back up. From there, I changed my wifi connection from the 5ghz to 2.4ghz SSID (I keep separate SSID's for each frequency). My wifi router for both is about 15ft away from the car so it gets a pretty strong signal.

This morning my MYLR charged according to the schedule so it looks like whatever I did fixed the problem.

I did the 'power down' on the car, let it sit for 5 min, then powered back up. From there, I changed my wifi connection from the 5ghz to 2.4ghz SSID (I keep separate SSID's for each frequency). My wifi router for both is about 15ft away from the car so it gets a pretty strong signal.

This morning my MYLR charged according to the schedule so it looks like whatever I did fixed the problem.
Car didn't start charging according to the schedule again this morning. I'm going to have to try 'scheduled start' and see if I can figure out the problem.

I'm at 2023.26.9
On the App under Schedule there are two items
1-Departure
2- Charge

Set both
Mine is set to charge at 00:00 and departure at 06:00
I’ll try that tonight, thx.

I’m also going to change my Tesla account password to force our apps to re-authenticate. Between my wife’s devices and mine, I’m wondering if the car schedule was corrupted somehow.

Reactions: Transformer
I’ll try that tonight, thx.

I’m also going to change my Tesla account password to force our apps to re-authenticate. Between my wife’s devices and mine, I’m wondering if the car schedule was corrupted somehow.
@howardnj Setting my charging to start at a specific time, instead of to end and be ready at a specific time, worked. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also changed my Tesla account password which invalidated all 3rd-party app logins. Now, i'll add back the apps I use, one at a time, in the hopes that I see what I did wrong previously.

Reactions: howardnj
I am on the latest version and still have this problem from time to time, somewhat consistently
What settings do you have on your car? Are you using the departure and charge off peak hours setting enabled? I also assume you have added your local power plan in the Charge settings so that it can look up the details of your off peak charging plan to charge at the right time.

"Depart at" is a climate control setting--not a charge scheduling setting. It's a confusing thing in the Tesla interface why they have a heating/cooling control on the charging screen. So if you want to set a schedule for charge time to end, you have to turn on the "Off peak" setting, and set the end of your "Off peak" time.
Hmm? I checked the Model 3 Owner's Manual:

Use Scheduled Departure to set a daily time when you want Model 3 to be ready to drive. Model 3 automatically calculates when it needs to start preconditioning and/or charging. This ensures that charging is complete and/or the cabin climate and Battery are preconditioned by your departure time.​

OK. I tried it today.

Here's the mobile app's Schedule Departure settings:

Scheduled charging.png

The car succeeded in charging during off-peak hours without preconditioning the interior.
That meant not running the A/C; leaving the interior temperature several degrees above the climate control set point.

Does it operate differently for you?