Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After seeing the FSD videos, do you think it will work well on MCU1 cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not. Time to upgrade

Well, if it cannot handle FSD, shouldn't TESLA upgrade this, the promised functionality is less than what we paid for and we still dont know if the car has all the hardware to support FSD.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Well, if it cannot handle FSD, shouldn't TESLA upgrade this, the promised functionality is less than what we paid for and we still dont know if the car has all the hardware to support FSD.
FSD should work once you get the eMMC recall thing taking care of. Virualization is not mandatory for FSD, but they do require MCU/2...

What is comes down to is if you want the optional visualization of FSD, you'll need MCU/2 and that is NOT a warranty item. It's an out of pocket option as per the link posted above. Plus MCU/2 also gives you games, video entertainment, and other stuff one day...

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02 and croman
FSD should work once you get the eMMC recall thing taking care of. Virualization is not mandatory for FSD, but they do require MCU/2...

What is comes down to is if you want the optional visualization of FSD, you'll need MCU/2 and that is NOT a warranty item. It's an out of pocket option as per the link posted above. Plus MCU/2 also gives you games, video entertainment, and other stuff one day...
Yeah, give me a working FSD with MCU1, I am a happy camper!. I don't care for any other crap, I have much better systems for them.

If it really was just a difference of visuals then why are there zero MCU1 cars with the FSD Beta out there? Seems like it would be super easy to implement since it's less processing, right?
We're all talking out our asses here, including me. The same people who said AP2 was going to robotaxi in 2017 are the same people saying MCU1 will work as well. Forgive me if I don't believe them.

Well.. if its is not safe, then Tesla should upgrade all MCU1/AP3 to MCU2 or above, no?
Not safe?

The MCU doesn't impact the ability for the FSD Computer to make decisions. It's just a visual piece. The fact that you can't see the visualization doesn't make it any less safe as the FSD Computer is making all the decision on what the Tesla needs to do.

Remember, the Infotainment Ugrade Package is an option. You can choose to get it or not. When FSD is officially complete, if you have it you may see visualization, and if you don't, they you won't. The Tesla will be able to drive the same.

• Funny
Not safe?

The MCU doesn't impact the ability for the FSD Computer to make decisions. It's just a visual piece. The fact that you can't see the visualization doesn't make it any less safe as the FSD Computer is making all the decision on what the Tesla needs to do.

Remember, the Infotainment Ugrade Package is an option. You can choose to get it or not. When FSD is officially complete, if you have it you may see visualization, and if you don't, they you won't. The Tesla will be able to drive the same.
I think you have drunk the Tesla Cool-aid too much :). today I am not able to get navigation routed in one shot. it takes ages to respond and it takes more time to reroute as well..you are thinking this is going to work with FSD your are dreaming !!.

I think you have drunk the Tesla Cool-aid too much :). today I am not able to get navigation routed in one shot. it takes ages to respond and it takes more time to reroute as well..you are thinking this is going to work with FSD your are dreaming !!.

Then consider the Infotainment Ugrade Package upgrade like many others have (I did on both my Model S/X because I want the newer features that will only be possible with MCU/2 like the games, streaming services, etc...). It clearly sounds like you will need it as you've indicated that you're unable to get your current MCU to operate to your liking.

Here's the link for the info you need on it (see below). You should open up your Tesla app, and make an appointment to purchase the Infotainment Ugrade Package and get it installed.

FSD yes. FSD Visualization not really but in the end the visualizations are just a pretty picture.

You should invest in the Infotainment Ugrade Package to be safe.
So, you're saying, without a doubt, that Tesla will fork MCU1/HW3 and make a special software (and keep it updated) to make sure our vehicles (probably in the 100's) will have FSD Beta sometime in the next couple months? Cool, then I don't have to pay $1500 for netflix and jumpy digital cars.

Reactions: Tesomega
Time to sue Tesla then about their false advertising. I didn't want to deal with that headache & the frustration of continuing to drive with MCU1 so as soon as the price dropped to $1500 we bought MCU2.
Then consider the Infotainment Ugrade Package upgrade like many others have (I did on both my Model S/X because I want the newer features that will only be possible with MCU/2 like the games, streaming services, etc...). It clearly sounds like you will need it as you've indicated that you're unable to get your current MCU to operate to your liking.

Here's the link for the info you need on it (see below). You should open up your Tesla app, and make an appointment to purchase the Infotainment Ugrade Package and get it installed.

It's not really reasonable to tell someone else to spend their money. If people want to stick with MCU1 they have the right to do that.

So, you're saying, without a doubt, that Tesla will fork MCU1/HW3 and make a special software (and keep it updated) to make sure our vehicles (probably in the 100's) will have FSD Beta sometime in the next couple months? Cool, then I don't have to pay $1500 for netflix and jumpy digital cars.
No, my guess is that Tesla will use the excuse that the software is Beta so they don't have to do that until the software is finalized and is L5 autonomy. Since that will never happen I bet Tesla is planning to never deliver anything beyond current functionality for MCU1 cars. The only way to force their hand will be through a lawsuit.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Even if by the time that FSD 2020.40.....comes to the rest of the fleet, our MCU1 cars with FSD are gonna literally choke on all those visuals we see in the online beta videos.....I have a definite issue with this. I have FSD and HW 3.0, and can confirm that if you enter an address into NAV, its gonna be a long wait and there is no guarantee it will ever find the route......and sometimes if it does on the occasion I use a destination/address, the nav is gonna crash or freeze up on the MCU1 while trying to map the trip as you continue along.......which means although the FSD visualizations on the binacle display will still function and guide you as they normally do.....but the MCU will be struggling, at least not while driving visually, you would have to reboot and then the nav would obviously reset.. This isnt really performing with what FSD would actually involve. I dont know how many of us have MCU1 cars circa 2017 with FSD but you will most definitely need or have a new MCU2 when and if FSD beta is released to general public. I just cant see it happening any other way.
I'll have to disagree. I use NOA frequently for long trips, 700+ miles, requiring multiple charging stops, 6 or more, with no issues. MS FSD, MCU1 with eMMC upgrade, HW3 FSD computer. YMMV

I'll have to disagree. I use NOA frequently for long trips, 700+ miles, requiring multiple charging stops, 6 or more, with no issues. MS FSD, MCU1 with eMMC upgrade, HW3 FSD computer. YMMV
Alset4s, you quoted me with an understanding that MCU1 with the older eMMC chip didnt function all that reliably or well with my car correct? I never waited around long enough to even see if the eMMC chip replacement solved the MCU1 from freezing and having to reboot. I think people who were in my situation had this problem, it was pervasive and Tesla recognized it obviously because they offered to upgrade the 8gb chip. I upgraded to MCU2 because I was unsure if by waiting, I could get my car working as it normally did when I first got it. No matter how many times I tried, the MCU1 would freeze. My comments were coming from that perspective, and many others likely had this issue, I certainly wasnt unique to it. I also dont believe Tesla is going to allow FSD with MCU1....as my previous post from many months back, i still believe those folks wont see a working FSD in their vehicles with MCU1, its just not possible, at least not reliably. If someone on the forums posts that they received the button request with MCU1 and FSD than obviously I would be proven wrong, and I would love to be wrong as someone who understands that dilemma.

Alset4s, you quoted me with an understanding that MCU1 with the older eMMC chip didnt function all that reliably or well with my car correct? I never waited around long enough to even see if the eMMC chip replacement solved the MCU1 from freezing and having to reboot. I think people who were in my situation had this problem, it was pervasive and Tesla recognized it obviously because they offered to upgrade the 8gb chip. I upgraded to MCU2 because I was unsure if by waiting, I could get my car working as it normally did when I first got it. No matter how many times I tried, the MCU1 would freeze. My comments were coming from that perspective, and many others likely had this issue, I certainly wasnt unique to it. I also dont believe Tesla is going to allow FSD with MCU1....as my previous post from many months back, i still believe those folks wont see a working FSD in their vehicles with MCU1, its just not possible, at least not reliably. If someone on the forums posts that they received the button request with MCU1 and FSD than obviously I would be proven wrong, and I would love to be wrong as someone who understands that dilemma.
Also remember, upgrade to eMMC is not automatic, it has to fail or Tesla should detect it will fail for it to be changed. I have asked for this to be replaced in my 2017 Model S, no dice :(

Not sure if your eMMC upgrade has to do with anything. I have constant issues (route re-calculating, crashes multiple times) and there are cases were it will not reroute (I cannot report bug during this time either). I have had occasions where even with fully typed address it will not find a route. In my mind, Finding a route 700 miles far is not a problem, however, if you have to wait 5 mins for every other shorter trip is unacceptable (I see this as Tesla crippling some standard features that I had bought with the car with software)

Not sure if your eMMC upgrade has to do with anything. I have constant issues (route re-calculating, crashes multiple times) and there are cases were it will not reroute (I cannot report bug during this time either). I have had occasions where even with fully typed address it will not find a route. In my mind, Finding a route 700 miles far is not a problem, however, if you have to wait 5 mins for every other shorter trip is unacceptable (I see this as Tesla crippling some standard features that I had bought with the car with software)

I can second this. Before I upgraded to mcu2 the nav was useless. Took forever to route and on long distance trips i couldn't use music without it crashing