Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarker Sound Upgrade of 3 Front 4" speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get to insulating the door frames and was there any improvement? If you did can you share where you did you added insulation and what material you used?

I also installed the Focal into the doors and feel there is an improvement over the stock but still missing something. The Amped Garage brackets I received had 2 holes the size of a half dollar on the sides near where the cable connector runs through the bracket. Do you think I'm losing low end sound through these holes? Thinking of duck taping these holes to cover them up.
I would recommend sealing around any holes in the bracket and it's not a bad idea to use foam tape to seal the bracket to the door. Duct tape would be better than nothing, however something firmer would be better, self adhesive sound deadening material, even blue tack and duct tape. The bracket should also be very rigid, and seal around the wires if they also pass through the bracket, I just use hot glue for this. Pull the wire 1/4" in, apply hot glue around the hole/wire and pull the wire back the 1/4" so it pulls the glue into the hole and seals better. The same process works well with silicone, caulk etc.

Attachments

• Focal2.JPG
    Focal2.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Adam3
I would recommend sealing around any holes in the bracket and it's not a bad idea to use foam tape to seal the bracket to the door. Duct tape would be better than nothing, however something firmer would be better, self adhesive sound deadening material, even blue tack and duct tape. The bracket should also be very rigid, and seal around the wires if they also pass through the bracket, I just use hot glue for this. Pull the wire 1/4" in, apply hot glue around the hole/wire and pull the wire back the 1/4" so it pulls the glue into the hole and seals better. The same process works well with silicone, caulk etc.
Thanks for your input and recommendations. Will definitely seal up any holes where sound can escape. Brackets seem quite rigid and have lined them with foam prior to installing.

Did you get to insulating the door frames and was there any improvement? If you did can you share where you did you added insulation and what material you used?

I also installed the Focal into the doors and feel there is an improvement over the stock but still missing something. The Amped Garage brackets I received had 2 holes the size of a half dollar on the sides near where the cable connector runs through the bracket. Do you think I'm losing low end sound through these holes? Thinking of duck taping these holes to cover them up.
After installing the Faital Pro 4FE32-8's in the dash, I never went any further. I got distracted with another project, and I'm pretty happy with how it sounds now anyway. Maybe once the weather warms up, I will add the sound insulation in the doors.

Reactions: SiW80
I have the Infinity 4032 drivers installed in my 21 SR+ and the ISU200 woofers. Would anybody think that the ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00 would be a big improvement in the dash? I'm a fan of ScanSpeak drivers as my main home system uses them. And would they fit into the brackets I already have from AmpedGarage? Those brackets needed to be shaved down as they were for the Faitel drivers instead of the Infinity, which are a tiny bit wider where they fit the inside circle.

I'm happy enough with the sound of the system as it is now but would be willing to try another upgrade if anybody heard both and thought it worthwhile.

I have the Infinity 4032 drivers installed in my 21 SR+ and the ISU200 woofers. Would anybody think that the ScanSpeak 10F/4424G00 would be a big improvement in the dash? I'm a fan of ScanSpeak drivers as my main home system uses them. And would they fit into the brackets I already have from AmpedGarage? Those brackets needed to be shaved down as they were for the Faitel drivers instead of the Infinity, which are a tiny bit wider where they fit the inside circle.

I'm happy enough with the sound of the system as it is now but would be willing to try another upgrade if anybody heard both and thought it worthwhile.
Hey Zacster, I started with the 4032's and switched to the ScanSpeak 10F. It's a pretty significant difference, the 10F is very clean, detailed, and musical. The soundstage is much better and this part is subjective, but I think the 10F meshes better with whatever DSP/EQ Tesla has going on. The brackets likely won't work, at least my versions of the 4032 and 10F are very different.

This is obviously very subjective, but I'd say the upgrade is worthwhile!

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    865.3 KB · Views: 32
Hey Zacster, I started with the 4032's and switched to the ScanSpeak 10F. It's a pretty significant difference, the 10F is very clean, detailed, and musical. The soundstage is much better and this part is subjective, but I think the 10F meshes better with whatever DSP/EQ Tesla has going on. The brackets likely won't work, at least my versions of the 4032 and 10F are very different.

This is obviously very subjective, but I'd say the upgrade is worthwhile!
Now that I've read through the thread some I see that you have. This is intriguing because when I did my upgrade these weren't ever mentioned. The Infinity speakers were a lot cheaper though, surprisingly cheap. I see you use a different door woofer too, but I'm not changing those. Like I said, I've always liked ScanSpeak drivers and was hoping there were some higher end options than what I found 3 years ago here.

Now that I've read through the thread some I see that you have. This is intriguing because when I did my upgrade these weren't ever mentioned. The Infinity speakers were a lot cheaper though, surprisingly cheap. I see you use a different door woofer too, but I'm not changing those. Like I said, I've always liked ScanSpeak drivers and was hoping there were some higher end options than what I found 3 years ago here.
I started with the 4032's and Hertz MPK165.3, I switched to the Scan speak 10F's and love them. I also switched to the Focal ISU200 to dial in the fitment of my adapter, although I haven't switched back to the Hertz, I think they are better than the Focals. That doesn't mean the Focals sound bad, I've been enjoying them for a long time!

The fact that I'd need 3 drivers puts these above the price point that would go unnoticed by the boss. With tax and shipping I'd be around $400 or so, well above the threshold.
I hear ya! I've tested a bunch of drivers, and although I've only tested them on the bench I'm impressed by the Wavecor WF090WA01 and they come in at a much better price point. (currently on sale at solen.ca, no affiliation) WF090WA01

Attachments

• IMG_1608 (1).JPG
    IMG_1608 (1).JPG
    560.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1607 (1).JPG
    IMG_1607 (1).JPG
    525 KB · Views: 43
  • Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL and Adam3
For those of you who upgraded their oem speakers, do you feel it sounds better and was worth the cost and time?
If you're in the Model 3SR yes. Replaced the 3 stock dash speakers with the Infinity 4032 and the difference is audibly better. Cleaning and more distinct highs. 10% increase in volume over stock speakers..Focals in the doors have better bass and completes the upgrade.

For those of you who upgraded their oem speakers, do you feel it sounds better and was worth the cost and time?
Like most of the other responses, it's a solid yes and yes with what I've done in a '23 RWD. Dash made the biggest difference, then Subwoofer, door woofers/tweeters, and finally rear door speakers.

I've tested a handful of drivers outside the car (including the stock Tesla mid) to create a priority list of what I want to install in the car. This isn't perfectly valid because there's likely some EQ/DSP going on in the signal that's fed to the mids in the Tesla, so that would get stacked on top of their flat signal response. Don't put too much weight on this, as it's my subjective impression based on my taste. These are arbitrary categories that I used to try and give more granularity to the comparison. If you remove value from the equation the ScanSpeak 10F runs away, however if you consider the value the Wavecor could be a good budget alternative. Of all the speakers the Infinity sounds most like the Tesla (I disconnected the tweeter on the Infinity, as I'm running door tweeters).

Attachments

• 2024-01-20 09_49_14-Window.png
    2024-01-20 09_49_14-Window.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 40
I was in my car today waiting while my wife had her hair cut and had Tidal on and it all sounded good with the Infinity 4032 and the Focal ISU200. It is a worthwhile change. It isn't very hard to do. However, if I were doing it again today I'd seriously look at the ScanSpeak 10f drivers that we were discussing above. They are more money but still not break the bank and a lot less money than it would cost to have a professional installer do anything.

Reactions: RWAudio and Adam3
I'm very pleased with the OEM premium system in my M3P but wouldn't mind a bit more punch in the midrange and higher, and it seems that based on everything here replacing 2 or 3 of the dash speakers can do the trick relatively easily. (I also love modding my cars)

I have a couple of JL Audio C1-400x's laying around, but I wish I knew if they would fit. The mounting depth looks very similar to what others have used, however the tweeters protrude a bit past the cone so not sure if height would be an issue.

I'm very pleased with the OEM premium system in my M3P but wouldn't mind a bit more punch in the midrange and higher, and it seems that based on everything here replacing 2 or 3 of the dash speakers can do the trick relatively easily. (I also love modding my cars)

I have a couple of JL Audio C1-400x's laying around, but I wish I knew if they would fit. The mounting depth looks very similar to what others have used, however the tweeters protrude a bit past the cone so not sure if height would be an issue.
The magnet etc are very similar to the Infinity Ref 4032 so it should fit in the dash (slightly larger mounting diameter than the Infinity but I'd be happy to tweak the design for an adapter). The tweeter sticks out about 8mm further than the Ref 4032, so there's a good chance it would be an issue and it may touch the cover, or not allow it to fit in place. I'm not sure if that tweeter is removable, as you already have tweeters in the door pillars.