Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Suspension with OEM Height and Softer Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is either option rebuildable? how will maxing out the ride height of either set affect it's performance?

I spoke with KW (manufacturer of the MPP kits) last week about ride height adjustment and the consequences of it. They said that since the kits were developed with a 1" drop in mind, the springs are stiffer than OE. So while the comfort coilovers may give a slightly better ride than stock due to the higher-quality components and damper settings, they're not going to be as good as a setup that was designed for OE height with the ideal springs for that height. They also said they have no interest in developing a kit like I'm requesting. The search continues.

After much reading, I'm still not convinced on which aftermarket suspension option will best meet my desired results of OEM height (or slightly less) and a smoother ride on my RWD Model 3. I don't care about the track. I'm looking for luxury grand touring car here or as close as I can get.

Here are my options and the pros and cons as I understand them:

1) Unplugged Performance Coilovers - Coilover Suspension Kit For Tesla Model 3 by Unplugged Performance
Pros: Independent height and spring preload adjustment
Rebound damping adjustment​
Cons: No compression damping adjustment
$2295 + installation
2) Mountain Pass Performance Sports Coilovers - MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers RWD
Pros: Compression damping adjustment
Rebound damping adjustment​
Cons: Height and spring preload adjustment are not independent (more height=stiffer springs)
$2350 + installation
3) Mountain Pass Performance Comfort Coilovers - MPP Model 3 Comfort Coilovers RWD
Pros: $1620 + installation
Cons: Height and spring preload adjustment are not independent (more height=stiffer springs)
No compression adjustment
No rebound adjustment
Stated goal is "lower your Model 3 without reducing the ride comfort", not added comfort​

I'm leaning towards the Unplugged Performance Coilovers because they're the only option with independent height adjustment and I'm not interested in lowering my car. I've also ridden in a P3D with this setup and I was impressed, but people really talk up the MPP options as well, which I don't understand really when they don't have independent height and preload adjustment, so I wonder if I'm missing something.

So with my goals in mind, does anyone have anything to add? Has anyone with similar goals to mine found their perfect solution?

I can't for the life of me figure out why people don't opt for the FREE tesla suspension upgrade first.

I found out about it at the service center.

I was there to have a trunk latch adjusted and simply asked if there are any additional updates I can take advantage of - and the service center mentioned it.

I have an appointment for the 9th and it will take 3 days to complete.

Well please share what they do. This is the first I've heard of anyone being offered that for any cars built after 12/27/17: Free softer spring replacement? | Tesla

I spoke with KW (manufacturer of the MPP kits) last week about ride height adjustment and the consequences of it. They said that since the kits were developed with a 1" drop in mind, the springs are stiffer than OE. So while the comfort coilovers may give a slightly better ride than stock due to the higher-quality components and damper settings, they're not going to be as good as a setup that was designed for OE height with the ideal springs for that height. They also said they have no interest in developing a kit like I'm requesting. The search continues.

KW didn't design our coilovers so that is only speculation on the part of whoever you spoke with FYI.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
KW didn't design our coilovers so that is only speculation on the part of whoever you spoke with FYI.
I did watch the installation video and noticed that going to the extreme of either end on the adjustment range will take the suspension out of the "optimal" operating range, my question would be how much adjustment is there to play with while keeping at or very near the optimal operating range? I am one of the few people who really have no desire to lower the car and would like to improve ride and handling, if I have to lower 10mm to 15mm to achieve the optimal range I would be willing to do this but I do not want to go any lower than this.

I did watch the installation video and noticed that going to the extreme of either end on the adjustment range will take the suspension out of the "optimal" operating range, my question would be how much adjustment is there to play with while keeping at or very near the optimal operating range? I am one of the few people who really have no desire to lower the car and would like to improve ride and handling, if I have to lower 10mm to 15mm to achieve the optimal range I would be willing to do this but I do not want to go any lower than this.

That will be fine, it is when you run them at the top setting that you will not have enough suspension droop. If we were to make the damper bodies longer to allow for a higher setting, it would limit how low they can go, which is the primary reason for installing coilovers in the first place!

I don't know what you mean.

I have a 2018 September P3D+ and they are replacing my suspension with a softer version for free.

Please explain.

This just blew my mind, Garlan.

I also have a 2018 September P3D and the ride quality sucks, which is ridiculous for a car (non-Performance) that the vast majority of owners will be commuting in. Bad enough that I was considering selling it. I was surprised that my referrals who received the M3 later had no complaints about the ride. Maybe this explains it. (This is on the same roads, which admittedly here are in very poor condition; I'm guessing the same car in a well paved area would be totally fine)

@MountainPass, sounds like you all have a good product, and I would definitely consider the comfort coilovers if they were rebound+damping adjustable with a range that goes *much* softer than 2019 stock (yes, might be underdamped in some situations, but I have and many others have a very long commute, hence the LR battery; if I had a short commute, an electric car would have minimal impact). Going through all the trouble for a non-adjustable set seems like a missed opportunity.

Thanks for updating everyone with the softer suspension results, Garlan Garner!

Last edited:
If you’re looking for a softer ride, try adjusting your tire pressure - it’s a trade-off of comfort vs range, and it’s free.
I'm running 32PSI, with a rise to 35PSI after 35 miles of highway speeds. Averaging around 240 Kw at a typical speed of 75 mph. It helps with these cratered roads, but not substantially.

Definitely softer ride. No complaints - especially since it was free.
Woohoo! I will contact them and make an appointment. Did they mention what they changed (e.g. springs, dampers, and/or bushings?)

Thanks!

Definitely softer ride. No complaints - especially since it was free.

Do you have anything that shows the part numbers that they used?

Could you possibly take a photo of the white labels on the new components? There's one on the damper and one on the spring.

Since the parts catalog only shows one option for the Performance suspension, I'm curious if they possibly swapped yours out with the non-performance AWD suspension or possibly just the springs from either the AWD or RWD suspension.

Reactions: TesLou22
Do you have anything that shows the part numbers that they used?

Could you possibly take a photo of the white labels on the new components? There's one on the damper and one on the spring.

Since the parts catalog only shows one option for the Performance suspension, I'm curious if they possibly swapped yours out with the non-performance AWD suspension or possibly just the springs from either the AWD or RWD suspension.

I've not been able to get anyone at Tesla to acknowledge that this option exists. I asked a tech and he gave me a legitimately blank look. Any additional information is greatly appreciated. I've got MPP comfort coilovers on order but if there's another option that's free I have to explore it first.

I've not been able to get anyone at Tesla to acknowledge that this option exists. I asked a tech and he gave me a legitimately blank look. Any additional information is greatly appreciated. I've got MPP comfort coilovers on order but if there's another option that's free I have to explore it first.

Any updates on the MPP comfort coilovers? I’m also looking for a smoother ride.

I took my car in for service to see if they would do anything. Tech went out for a test drive and said car rides normal. Build date is March 18. I find the ride jittery and jarring at times. I love the car but need to do something to improve the ride quality.