Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Suspension with OEM Height and Softer Ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates on the MPP comfort coilovers? I’m also looking for a smoother ride.

I took my car in for service to see if they would do anything. Tech went out for a test drive and said car rides normal. Build date is March 18. I find the ride jittery and jarring at times. I love the car but need to do something to improve the ride quality.

I'm still working on it. I bought a set of suspension components on eBay and have them at a big name suspension shop. I'm in the queue for dyno time. Once we sort out what it has now, we'll come up with a new option. I'm looking to go from BMW 3-series to 7-series.

Reactions: Murattukaalai
Any updates on the MPP comfort coilovers? I’m also looking for a smoother ride.

I took my car in for service to see if they would do anything. Tech went out for a test drive and said car rides normal. Build date is March 18. I find the ride jittery and jarring at times. I love the car but need to do something to improve the ride quality.
I’m still waiting for my comfort coilovers from MPP

Just wanted to follow up: I have a Model 3 Dual Motor (non-Perf) and the Tesla service people who contacted me after I scheduled a service insisted there was no softer suspension upgrade/update. My build was in September '18.

It's possible it's just an option for the September-vintage Performance models, or that it never existed. Looking to aftermarket now.

I just want damping and rebound adjustable coilovers (or just shocks) that can ride at stock height (or even slightly higher for snow) and can go much softer than stock.

If anyone knows of something that fits this bill, that would be amazing.

It’s been few months since your last post, found anything good?

Getting close. They've dyno'd the suspension and are working on a setup where they'll gut the factory shocks and use Koni inserts with custom valving.

I've also talked to Unplugged Performance again about custom valving in their coilover kit. 6 months ago they just said no. This time they said maybe for $1200, but still haven't gotten back with me.

They all seem to see this as a project with little demand, so it's hard to get anyone to work on it.

Getting close. They've dyno'd the suspension and are working on a setup where they'll gut the factory shocks and use Koni inserts with custom valving.

I've also talked to Unplugged Performance again about custom valving in their coilover kit. 6 months ago they just said no. This time they said maybe for $1200, but still haven't gotten back with me.

They all seem to see this as a project with little demand, so it's hard to get anyone to work on it.

If I understood what you’re trying to achieve is to get comfort ride close to model s air suspension, there’s a big market. Only choice we have is MPP comfort which isn’t cutting it.

do you have cost on this one? Is the height adjustable?

If I understood what you’re trying to achieve is to get comfort ride close to model s air suspension, there’s a big market. Only choice we have is MPP comfort which isn’t cutting it.

do you have cost on this one? Is the height adjustable?

Ideally it would be better than the old Model S air suspension because that was just air springs. Air springs can change the height and spring rate, but they do nothing with the dampers. The new Raven air suspension can adjust both which is really the best of both worlds aside from price and weight, but an aftermarket setup like that would run in the $5k+ range and it wouldn't be integrated into the car's UI.

My ideal setup would be factory ride height with no adjustment. The suspension already has very limited travel. You can't lower it and expect a more comfortable ride (though others claim otherwise). I tried out a set of "comfort" lowering springs and the ride was horrendous.

Price will likely be in the $2.5k-$3k range, but honestly, I'm losing hope in the shop I'm currently using. Progress has been very slow and their most recent communication is that they're not able to develop a full coilover setup like I want. They want to upgrade the existing components with Koni inserts which would be fine for a one-off, but it's not a great solution for everyone.

I've just started discussions with another shop that is looking more promising. More to come.

Maybe wait for these
EC69C7B5-93B0-4AC1-86B1-B4B642F88B8C.jpeg

Vendor - Model 3 Öhlins DFV Coilovers - Engineered by Redwood Motorsports ™

Take a look at these, I would consider adding them to your list. If you're looking for a true "grand touring" comfort kit, shoot us a message I can chat with you about that topic, and some solutions for a properly plush setup. [email protected]

I placed a pre-order a few days ago and sent you an email about a grand touring comfort kit, but haven't heard back. We can have that conversation here or over email, but please respond.

I have the same goals as the OP. Stock ride height on my stock 18s but with much higher ride comfort, so that city streets are not bumpy or jarring anymore. I have an August 2018 LR RWD Model 3. I'm willing to spend $4,000 installed to accomplish this goal, but only if it's noticeably better. My 2001 Lexus GS430 had much better comfort and ride quality compared to my Model 3 on the same roads, even though the Lexus suspension was 17 years old. Yes the Lexus handling was not as good as Tesla but I mostly want straight-line speed and ride comfort, and the Lexus delivered that. I'm watching this thread and the other thread about the Redwood/DFV kit to hear reviews. Thanks for starting this thread!

I have the same goals as the OP. Stock ride height on my stock 18s but with much higher ride comfort, so that city streets are not bumpy or jarring anymore. I have an August 2018 LR RWD Model 3. I'm willing to spend $4,000 installed to accomplish this goal, but only if it's noticeably better. My 2001 Lexus GS430 had much better comfort and ride quality compared to my Model 3 on the same roads, even though the Lexus suspension was 17 years old. Yes the Lexus handling was not as good as Tesla but I mostly want straight-line speed and ride comfort, and the Lexus delivered that. I'm watching this thread and the other thread about the Redwood/DFV kit to hear reviews. Thanks for starting this thread!

YCW suspension coming out with their coilovers for Tesla but it is customizable spring rate and valving