Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have the worst T2C luck in the world. Ordered and received a replacement unit. Finally got the AT&T SIM to work with the "phone" APN name. Now the new unit won't kick off CarPlay. Just bizarre. Did a factory reset, repaired bluetooth, renamed my phone (this helped last time, since I had a special character - a dash in there), nothing helps. My phone is connected to the unit via bluetooth, the car to the unit via wifi - nothing. I've tried using a laptop in place of the car too, nothing.

I must have the worst T2C luck in the world. Ordered and received a replacement unit. Finally got the AT&T SIM to work with the "phone" APN name. Now the new unit won't kick off CarPlay. Just bizarre. Did a factory reset, repaired bluetooth, renamed my phone (this helped last time, since I had a special character - a dash in there), nothing helps. My phone is connected to the unit via bluetooth, the car to the unit via wifi - nothing. I've tried using a laptop in place of the car too, nothing.

Try the following steps (assuming you want to use the SIM appoach):

1) Delete both the T2C Bluetooth and T2C CarPlay entries on your iPhone
2) Reboot iPhone
3) Clear your Tesla Browser Cache
4) Reboot your Tesla
5) Reset to factory default the T2C
6) The factory default T2C is "Bluetooth Hotspot" so you need to set the T2C to use the SIM
7) Configure your iPhone following the instructions to use the T2C with the SIM

I hope this helps.

Did you try it without the SIM?

Did you try it without the SIM?
Yes, the new unit won't kick off CarPlay. The old one did (but oddly, no longer does). It connects to the phone, starts up and connects to the hotspot, but doesn't start CarPlay. I do wonder whether I'm somehow doing things in the wrong order - what's the likelihood that I got two defective units? I pretty much power on the unit, it connects to bluetooth, I connect the car (or laptop, for testing) to wifi, launch the browser.... nothing.

Try the following steps (assuming you want to use the SIM appoach):

1) Delete both the T2C Bluetooth and T2C CarPlay entries on your iPhone
2) Reboot iPhone
3) Clear your Tesla Browser Cache
4) Reboot your Tesla
5) Reset to factory default the T2C
6) The factory default T2C is "Bluetooth Hotspot" so you need to set the T2C to use the SIM
7) Configure your iPhone following the instructions to use the T2C with the SIM

I hope this helps
Tried each step on both the new and old units, same issue: CarPlay doesn't start. It connects to the cell network properly. I tried on a laptop within an incognito browser too (to ensure that nothing was cached/interfering). I guess this just wasn't meant to be.

This is turning into a bit of a mystery. I wanted to add a few more elements to the (great) checklist to make sure there are no missing steps:-

When your Tesla connects to the T2C Wi-Fi network do you have to enter the password (88888888)?
The Tesla browser needs to load https://tespush.com - what do you see in the browser when it tries to load this page?

I think you need to switch focus to your iPhone. Do you use screen time passcode or VPN?
No screen time passcode or VPN. You might be on to something here though. I tried with my wife's iPhone, and it worked (SIM-less, haven't tried with SIM.) Can't imagine why it won't work with mine though.
  • Hers is an iPhone 12 on iOS16, mine is a iPhone 14 Pro Max also on iOS16. I've tried restarting the phone without any luck.
  • Her phone is named "iPhone" while mine has my initials, like "ABC iPhone" -- I tried renaming mine to just "iPhone" and that didn't work. I do get prompted whether I want to use CarPlay the first time I pair bluetooth between the T2C and my phone, and nothing after I say yes.
  • Her phone is on the same carrier (T-Mobile) as mine, except mine is on a eSIM while hers is using a nano-SIM. Same plan, same features.

This is turning into a bit of a mystery. I wanted to add a few more elements to the (great) checklist to make sure there are no missing steps:-

When your Tesla connects to the T2C Wi-Fi network do you have to enter the password (88888888)?
The Tesla browser needs to load https://tespush.com - what do you see in the browser when it tries to load this page?
Yes, I'm prompted for a password the first time I connect to the Autokit SSID. When I load tespush.com, it gives me the black-background configuration page.

No screen time passcode or VPN. You might be on to something here though. I tried with my wife's iPhone, and it worked (SIM-less, haven't tried with SIM.) Can't imagine why it won't work with mine though.
  • Hers is an iPhone 12 on iOS16, mine is a iPhone 14 Pro Max also on iOS16. I've tried restarting the phone without any luck.
  • Her phone is named "iPhone" while mine has my initials, like "ABC iPhone" -- I tried renaming mine to just "iPhone" and that didn't work. I do get prompted whether I want to use CarPlay the first time I pair bluetooth between the T2C and my phone, and nothing after I say yes.
  • Her phone is on the same carrier (T-Mobile) as mine, except mine is on a eSIM while hers is using a nano-SIM. Same plan, same features.

Yes, I'm prompted for a password the first time I connect to the Autokit SSID. When I load tespush.com, it gives me the black-background configuration page.

Is CarPlay starting on your iPhone? If it is started it shows a CarPlay symbol on your iPhone for a few seconds when it starts, it also should show that you are not connected to any WiFi (CarPlay connected using WiFi but it does not show as a WiFi connection)?

If CarPlay is not starting in your iPhone it could be a Bluetooth issue. How many Bluetooth devices you have connected to your iPhone? For example Apple Watch, Radar Detector, AirPods, Other Car Carplay, TVs, Speakers, others/etc...?

You should see the T2C Bluetooth connecting in the beginning of the process but after it transfer to CarPlay WiFi it should disconnect.

Last edited:
I suspect your iPhone has gotten into a bad state. I‘ve had/seen this happen and sometimes there is no fix other than to do a backup, wipe the iPhone by erasing all content and settings, then restoring from the backup. Have you tried this?

Is CarPlay starting on your iPhone? If it is started it shows a CarPlay symbol on your iPhone for a few seconds when it starts, it also should show that you are not connected to any WiFi (CarPlay connected using WiFi but it does not show as a WiFi connection)?

If CarPlay is not starting in your iPhone it could be a Bluetooth issue. How many Bluetooth devices you have connected to your iPhone? For example Apple Watch, Radar Detector, AirPods, Other Car Carplay, TVs, Speakers, others/etc...?

You should see the T2C Bluetooth connecting in the beginning of the process but after it transfer to CarPlay WiFi it should disconnect.
CarPlay is not starting on my phone. It used to - that's the weird part. The T2C worked a couple of days ago, just laggy as heck and a bit finicky. But now:
  • Car connects to T2C via wifi
  • T2C connects to phone via hotspot (intermittently)
  • Phone connects to car via bluetooth - it never transfers to wifi though
  • Phone connects to T2C via bluetooth
The odd part is that even when it does connect to the phone's hotspot, I can't browse anywhere using the car's browser. Is it really connected?
I disconnected all bluetooth to my phone, except for: the car, the T2C, and the car's phone key (one of the jumbled messes of letters and numbers)

I suspect your iPhone has gotten into a bad state. I‘ve had/seen this happen and sometimes there is no fix other than to do a backup, wipe the iPhone by erasing all content and settings, then restoring from the backup. Have you tried this?
Admittedly, I haven't. My phone is working fine otherwise - zero other issues, and it'd be a bridge to far for me to have to blast the entire thing, for CarPlay. I did reset network settings though, to no avail. Between it working via bluetooth tethering before, working with my wife's phone, and my having tried two units now, it's almost certainly something odd going on specifically with my phone - I just can't justify the time-sink that is wiping and restoring the phone. Something always gets lost, and it's a half-day process. Sad thing is that I'm in IT -- I'd roll my eyes so hard at a user who wouldn't have taken this step.

Edit: ah screw it. I’ll think about doing a restore. Last time I did, I managed to wipe my eSIM, leaving myself dead in the water

Last edited:
CarPlay is not starting on my phone. It used to - that's the weird part. The T2C worked a couple of days ago, just laggy as heck and a bit finicky. But now:
  • Car connects to T2C via wifi
  • T2C connects to phone via hotspot (intermittently)
The odd part is that even when it does connect to the phone's hotspot, I can't browse anywhere using the car's browser. Is it really connected?
I disconnected all bluetooth to my phone, except for: the car, the T2C, and the car's phone key (one of the jumbled messes of letters and numbers)

Admittedly, I haven't. My phone is working fine otherwise - zero other issues, and it'd be a bridge to far for me to have to blast the entire thing, for CarPlay. I did reset network settings though, to no avail. Between it working via bluetooth tethering before, working with my wife's phone, and my having tried two units now, it's almost certainly something odd going on specifically with my phone - I just can't justify the time-sink that is wiping and restoring the phone. Something always gets lost, and it's a half-day process. Sad thing is that I'm in IT -- I'd roll my eyes so hard at a user who wouldn't have taken this step.

Edit: ah screw it. I’ll think about doing a restore. Last time I did, I managed to wipe my eSIM, leaving myself dead in the water

Ok, give more info on the bullet below:
The iPhone should just connect to the T2C via bluetooth for a few seconds and then disconnect as it transfers the iPhone to T2C connection to CarPlay which is WiFi (the CarPlay does not show up as a WiFi connection - You should have no iPhone WiFi connection showing). If the Bluetooth connection is staying on between the T2C and the iPhone then it is not working correctly.

The very First time the Bluetooth connection is established between the iPhone and the T2C it should ask you if you want CarPlay enabled and you need to answer yes. If the iPhone is not asking you on the very First time you establish the Bluetooth between the iPhone and T2C for the CarPlay enablement then something is also not working.

Also for:
The Bluetooth connection between the iPhone and the Car (Tesla) does not transfer to WiFi and should stay on - so this is working correctly. As I mentioned previously when everything is working correctly with CarPlay your iPhone should not be showing no WiFi connection - it should be blank.

Last edited:
Ok, give more info on the bullet below:
The iPhone should just connect to the T2C via bluetooth for a few seconds and then disconnect as it transfers the iPhone to T2C connection to CarPlay which is WiFi (the CarPlay does not show up as a WiFi connection - You should have no iPhone WiFi connection showing). If the Bluetooth connection is staying on between the T2C and the iPhone then it is not working correctly.

The very First time the Bluetooth connection is established between the iPhone and the T2C it should ask you if you want CarPlay enabled and you need to answer yes. If the iPhone is not asking you on the very First time you establish the Bluetooth between the iPhone and T2C for the CarPlay enablement then something is also not working.

Also for:
The Bluetooth connection between the iPhone and the Car (Tesla) does not transfer to WiFi and should stay on - so this is working correctly. As I mentioned previously when everything is working correctly with CarPlay your iPhone should not be showing no WiFi connection - it should be blank.

It virtually never terminates the bluetooth connection between the phone and the T2C. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for when it actually does (i.e. sometimes it terminates the bluetooth connection, but it's not because CarPlay started or the hotspot connected).

As for the second point, sorry, should've added that note to the bullet addressed above - the phone does stay connected to the car. It does not transfer. Upon first Bluetooth connection, I am prompted for: PIN/pairing, contacts/favorites sync, and then eventually CarPlay-enable. (but again, CarPlay doesn't actually start)

It virtually never terminates the bluetooth connection between the phone and the T2C. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for when it actually does (i.e. sometimes it terminates the bluetooth connection, but it's not because CarPlay started or the hotspot connected).

As for the second point, sorry, should've added that note to the bullet addressed above - the phone does stay connected to the car. It does not transfer. Upon first Bluetooth connection, I am prompted for: PIN/pairing, contacts/favorites sync, and then eventually CarPlay-enable. (but again, CarPlay doesn't actually start)

Ok then it seems to be your Bluetooth to CarPlay handshake transfer/connection that is not working correctly. I think on the T2C you can change what WiFi frequency the CarPlay uses - 2.4GHz vs 5GHz - you can try changing that to see if it helps.

Forgot to ask but have you updated the T2C and your iPhone to the latest software/firmware? If not, update both to the latest and then follow all of the seven steps I outlined previously since both updates messes with your T2C and iPhone connection.

Do you have any other car that you use CarPlay on this iPhone? If so, delete the other car Bluetooth and CarPlay connection to test the T2C only. You can re-establish the other car after testing.

I, too, purchased a pre-activated T-mobile SIM that I tested with an unlocked phone. I went through all the steps as you did (all four icons in green color), but received the same error message.

Has anyone made T-Mobile SIM to work with T2C?
Finally, got a response from the customer support:
"First unplug the traffic card, use the Bluetooth network into the background, the "Bluetooth settings" of the "Bluetooth network sharing" off, and then restart the device"
Can anyone make sense of the instructions?

Finally, got a response from the customer support:
"First unplug the traffic card, use the Bluetooth network into the background, the "Bluetooth settings" of the "Bluetooth network sharing" off, and then restart the device"
Can anyone make sense of the instructions?

The website below is a good source to resolve a number of problems including this issue. There are a number of pages so you need to scroll down so you can choose the other pages with additional help (i.e, 1, 2, 3). The feedback is also based on the T2C firmware version - so you should be aware that it will depend on what firmware version you are currently on and what firmware version the feedback was based on:

Last edited: