Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
issues joining the AutoKit SSID (no DHCP or no internet errors, or prompting for the password repeatedly)
The wifi going unavailable or no IP is always a Carplay failure. One thing you can do is turn off the network detection. This will stop the unit from rebooting constantly when it can't get wifi. Instructions from the vendor:

Please go into the backend of your device and upgrade the latest version, after the upgrade is complete click on System on your car and then turn off Network detection to use the offline carplay.
This was a recent change I requested, after I noticed the wifi would come and go constantly when I was in places with no data service. I wanted it to bond to the phone regardless of internet access, so they made this change.

One thing to keep in mind is that even with factory-supported Carplay, people routinely have problems with it. That isn't necessarily T2C's fault. I've been using it for 3 months, at one point it stopped working and I had to delete and re-pair the Bluetooth and now it has worked for 2 months with no problems.

Keep in mind there are 4 pieces here:

* Wireless carplay via Bluetooth (Apple -> T2C)
* 802.11N from Tesla to T2C
* Bluetooth from Apple to Tesla (how you get audio)
* Tesla browser (which got a major upgrade recently)

So there's layers of technology here, and they all have to work. Even in factory-supported solutions that costs many hundred dollars, people have issues. With a solution that Tesla refuses to support or acknowledge, you have to be happy it works at all.

I paid $99, and it works more often than not so I'm happy. With the latest software revisions since mid-march, my only problem is having to manually turn on the Tesla wifi periodically. Everything else "just works" now. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: timeshifter
Keep in mind there are 4 pieces here:

* Wireless carplay via Bluetooth (Apple -> T2C)
* 802.11N from Tesla to T2C
* Bluetooth from Apple to Tesla (how you get audio)
* Tesla browser (which got a major upgrade recently)
wireless CarPlay is a combination of Bluetooth & wifi.
iPhone to T2C via Bluetooth (authorization)
iPhone to T2C via wifi (autokit network name with no dashes) to transmit CarPlay graphics data to T2C.

Wondering if anyone has tried the “Ownice T3” alternative? Initial impression I’m getting from a few YouTube clips and comments is it’s superior to the T2C..
Seems like a scam to me. the instructions do not mention how to use the unique aspect of this device which is ability to use wifi to tether another device’s internet connection and pass the connection on to tesla vehicle. This device has no SIM card slot.

Seems like a scam to me. the instructions do not mention how to use the unique aspect of this device which is ability to use wifi to tether another device’s internet connection and pass the connection on to tesla vehicle. This device has no SIM card slot.

I’ve seen this video from a UK reviewer

This one too:

Wondering if anyone has tried the “Ownice T3” alternative? Initial impression I’m getting from a few YouTube clips and comments is it’s superior to the T2C..
I installed this one a few days ago in my 2018 M3. I had returned the Carlinkit a while ago but figured I'd give this one a try since it looked superior. And it is. No personal hot spot connection needed (although I think carlinkit may have updated there's to eliminate it). Anyway, connect to bluetooth and wifi and that's it. Connects easily although it's not always there immediately when I get in the car and need to select the browser but no more battling to get it connected like before.

Suggestion, I installed mine with a USB on/off switch (PiSwitch) to turn this off when I get home or don't want to use it. Then my car just switches back to my premium service. I don't always feels I need to have this on, but when I'm commuting to work on long rides, I like Waze on screen.

Anyway, highly recommend.

I installed this one a few days ago in my 2018 M3. I had returned the Carlinkit a while ago but figured I'd give this one a try since it looked superior. And it is. No personal hot spot connection needed (although I think carlinkit may have updated there's to eliminate it). Anyway, connect to bluetooth and wifi and that's it. Connects easily although it's not always there immediately when I get in the car and need to select the browser but no more battling to get it connected like before.

Suggestion, I installed mine with a USB on/off switch (PiSwitch) to turn this off when I get home or don't want to use it. Then my car just switches back to my premium service. I don't always feels I need to have this on, but when I'm commuting to work on long rides, I like Waze on screen.

Anyway, highly recommend.
Apart from the “no SIM” are there other benefits to this over CarLinkit? Basically, is it worth me trying it if I already have T2C?

it looked superior. And it is. No personal hot spot connection needed (although I think carlinkit may have updated there's to eliminate it).
For me that would not be superior because without a SIM or hotspot. That means the Tesla is effectively offline when that device is active. That matters to me as I rely on Teslafi to log my drives. If I'm not connected to the net it doesn't log - I thought it would cache the data then upload when connected, but it doesn't. It has to be live to get logged.

Other things like the Tesla nav and other music services will not work without a live data connection.

I'd be interested in alternative devices, but I don't want to be offline.

It has a connection for your hotspot as well you’re not offline. It also has a cast feature to mirror your phone.

I can’t speak for the latest update from Carlink because I returned before that release, but unlike that one, this one just works.

Reactions: timeshifter
One guy upthread has a lot of history and I noticed that, and it gave the discussion credibility. But didn't notice I was interacting with a guy who just registered. Do'h!

The reason I have let this thread go, instead of locking it down, is because there are also plenty of people who dont appear to be astroturfing talking about this line of products.

We definitely do support members helping members, but we definitely do not support astroturfing (which for those that dont know is the appearance of being grass roots reviews but being somehow affiliated or pumping a specific product), or accounts seemingly trying to push a specific website, product etc.

It can be hard to differentiate between the two, but its also one of those things that if you see enough of, you know what it looks like. I am being vague on purpose though.

Sorry if anyone thinks I’m astroturfing. I had a feeling it would appear that way being a newbie. Frustrating that I’m trying to offer some advice on experience with this and prior devices. But, I understand that’s how it can appear.

I’ve been having a little fun adding a bunch of things to my 2018 recently and read about many of them on here. I was going to sell it but decided to keep it and doing a bunch of stuff I always had my eyes.

There’s a lot of these devices out yet limited ability to obtain info. As info, this one appeared to be the same software as another recently posted on YouTube that got a lot of views and appeared to be better than the Carlinkit.

I stumbled on this one and noticed it appeared to be the same one so I figured I’d try it out since it was a lot less than the one being reviewed. And unlike getting on Amazon, I would not be able to return it so I was hesitant to spend over $100.

Whatever u get, I highly recommend the usb switch to easily turn it off at home so it doesn’t interfere with my phone in the house.

I watched one of the videos. The device does appear responsive. Hard to tell if it’s more responsive than the T2C however, I think the response with the T2C is fine. It does appear a bit more bulky than the T2C which is not a plus in my mind. Other than that, it looks to do the same thing. The casting is not something I’d be interested in. I guess the question is how does it work when exiting and entering the vehicle? Can you leave it powered on and is it a smooth transition?

Last edited: