Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New firmware update available for Ownice. Not sure if it fixes black screen issue since I don’t have FSDb.

Ownice

I just updated my Ownice to the latest firmware version - 2.8.12 - that came out a few days ago. I have the latest Tesla FSDb and this latest Ownice firmware version still does not fix the black screen. So will have to wait for the next update again. Not sure why Ownice cannot fix it as T2C did fix it earlier in June.

Is there a system yet that doesn't require you to create a hotspot, open the browser, and navigate to a custom webpage every time you get in the vehicle!? If there isn't a system like that, then there is no system worth getting yet!

There needs to be a box that connects to the screen's video input (likely an HDMI or displayport interface that just does not have an external connector). Your phone would automatically connect to that black box, and you would press a toggle button to go between the normal tesla screen and the black box's android auto / apple carplay input. Just like switching inputs on a TV.

Is there a system yet that doesn't require you to create a hotspot, open the browser, and navigate to a custom webpage every time you get in the vehicle!? If there isn't a system like that, then there is no system worth getting yet.
Yes, it’s possible for the WiFi network to automatically start and the browser to automatically connect. The only “inconvenience” is it takes approximately 30 seconds to start. I posted a video on this thread of the startup sequence Post #629.

Yes, it’s possible for the WiFi network to automatically start and the browser to automatically connect. The only “inconvenience” is it takes approximately 30 seconds to start. I posted a video on this thread of the startup sequence Post #629.
It is still a hacky, less convenient solution compared to directly tapping into the screen's input channel.

I spent the last 2hrs getting my Ownice T3 up and running. What a huge PITA that was but it now works flawlessly with my Pixel 5. There is no way I would have managed to get it running without the information in this thread, specifically the firmware and flashing tool links.

I also had to use my wife's iPhone to get parts of it working as I was running into issues with my Pixel 5 being unable to access http://3.3.3.3 to perform the latest firmware update.

It's now running v2.8.12 and the wifi setting is set to Canada.

Here's a picture of it running on a Surface tablet to simulate a Tesla browser (since my Model Y hasn't arrived yet). I plan on using the tow brake module harness to provide switched power once I install it

Attachments

• 1689231268450.jpg
    1689231268450.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 171
It is still a hacky, less convenient solution compared to directly tapping into the screen's input channel.
What you are looking for is in the hands of TSLA. Hacking issues go away If TSLA ever decides to support CarPlay and Android Auto natively - I would not put my money on it.
Running Hotspot with Ownice is optional.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Reactions: Joe19812
Ownice

I just updated my Ownice to the latest firmware version - 2.8.12 - that came out a few days ago. I have the latest Tesla FSDb and this latest Ownice firmware version still does not fix the black screen. So will have to wait for the next update again. Not sure why Ownice cannot fix it as T2C did fix it earlier in June.
I'm pretty sure Ownice overrides the T2C with it's own internet connection (thru your phone). I suspect that FSD forces the use of the T2C (Tesla default cell network) to work. You should try turning off FSD (if that is possible) and then try running the Ownice. Good luck

Hi guys, I've a 2019 Model X Raven. I've read about many type of wireless carplay options. What do u suggest, what's the better? carlinkint, ownice? Or another type?
I'm voting for Ownice. After reading every post in this sub and reading the description in geek buying.com and other online retail platforms for both Ownice and carlinkint, I went with Ownice and am very pleased with the results. It works pretty consistently using my iPhone12. The hack is pretty sophisticated, creating two WIFI networks (one for CarPlay and the other to provide Tesla with an internet link, since it seems to override the T2C (default Tesla cell network). That being said, you will find the setup confusing and trouble shooting confusing if you don't have an understanding of WIFI networks. Follow the directions (which include resetting) carefully and good luck

I'm voting for Ownice. After reading every post in this sub and reading the description in geek buying.com and other online retail platforms for both Ownice and carlinkint, I went with Ownice and am very pleased with the results. It works pretty consistently using my iPhone12. The hack is pretty sophisticated, creating two WIFI networks (one for CarPlay and the other to provide Tesla with an internet link, since it seems to override the T2C (default Tesla cell network). That being said, you will find the setup confusing and trouble shooting confusing if you don't have an understanding of WIFI networks. Follow the directions (which include resetting) carefully and good luck
T2C is Carlinkit's CarPlay in a Tesla center screen product....not the Tesla default cellular.

thank you! What do you mean, it is hard to set up? And I've read that after a tesla update carlinkit is working, ownice is not, is that true?

Has anyone gotten the Ownice to work with a "Raven" MX? I wanted to know if the issue that I am having is related to FSD or the MCU CPU. If it is FSD, I assume it will be sorted out with a software update...
If it never gets sorted, take a look at open source Tesla Android project. Seems in a few months "all in one" premade kits will be available so I'd wait unless you don't mind getting the pieces yourself. The dev updates all the time. So far no one has mentioned issues related to FSD Beta.

If it never gets sorted, take a look at open source Tesla Android project. Seems in a few months "all in one" premade kits will be available so I'd wait unless you don't mind getting the pieces yourself. The dev updates all the time. So far no one has mentioned issues related to FSD Beta.
Thanks for responding. I get the black screen issue and I was wondering if it was related to FSD or the MX processor

thank you! What do you mean, it is hard to set up? And I've read that after a tesla update carlinkit is working, ownice is not, is that true?
So IMO, the number of WiFI, Cellular, Bluetooth connections involved in this hack, makes it confusing for those folks not used to playing with WiFi/Cellular/Bluetooth. The instructions are pretty straightforward, but if you hit a wrong option, you may have to reset (instructions for that are in the manual) and start again. I'm not sure I've had a Tesla update since the Ownice installation but generally with this sort of hack, you should expect that software updates from either Tesla or Apple may disrupt the service, which means you may have to reset your phone, the Tesla screen and the Ownice. I'm not trying to discourage you, but trying to set expectations. This isn't "plug and play"; its "plug and play with and play with and play with"

Reactions: charlesoris
So IMO, the number of WiFI, Cellular, Bluetooth connections involved in this hack, makes it confusing for those folks not used to playing with WiFi/Cellular/Bluetooth. The instructions are pretty straightforward, but if you hit a wrong option, you may have to reset (instructions for that are in the manual) and start again. I'm not sure I've had a Tesla update since the Ownice installation but generally with this sort of hack, you should expect that software updates from either Tesla or Apple may disrupt the service, which means you may have to reset your phone, the Tesla screen and the Ownice. I'm not trying to discourage you, but trying to set expectations. This isn't "plug and play"; its "plug and play with and play with and play with"
I concur on your assessment of network protocols involved in making T2C and Ownice operational.
The issue we are having has to do with a lack of readily available knowledge in the user communities, such as public forums. The forums would enable users to communicate their issues/suggestions to the developers and other members.
At this time the only available assistance is via emails, sites like AliExpress {my case} and WhatsApp - not only it takes a day or two get a response, but there is a poor understanding of English, forcing multiple messages back and forth.
I don't understand how come Tesla Android project and T2C provided patches related to black screens on FSDb vehicles, but Ownice did not.
Personally, I am satisfied with Ownice and would recommend it for users that do not have FSDb.

I should add that I have Premium Connectivity as well. With the Ownice, my nav and satellite maps work fine and I've run it in conjunction with Waze on CarPlay to experiment. With the T2C, Tesla nav worked, but was slow and usually locked up.

In the unlikely situation I wanted to use anything from Tesla, this is where the USB on/off switch comes in handy. Just press the switch and car switches back to Tesla Premium Connectivity.
Wonder if you could provide more information on the USB switch. Was it USBA with USBC adaptors, where did you get it? I have tried one USBC switch (Amazon) which works using a 120volt charger, but doesn't work in 2023 Tesla Model Y's USBC ports. It seems to be designed to work with the Raspberry PI, but no go with the Tesla. Thanks