Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you doing this in Shortcuts I don’t see an open to trigger based on CarPlay ?
Yes, I am doing in shortcuts as an automation.
Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 19.46.09.jpeg.png

i didn't see the option to edit my post so apologies for the double post. In case other have the same issue and are using android, this morning, i connected the T3 to my wife's iphone and was able to get to 3.3.3.3 in safari to do an actual update (over my flash). Once this was done, it connected and AA launched with autoaibox.link as expected and everything seems to work. Hope that helps other Android user having similar issues.

@Mandingo Thanks for the write-up.
I don't have Premium Connectivity since I made decision to switch to Ownice, previously T2C, and Personal Hotspot for Tessie and Tesla Connectivity.
On long distance trips I enter the destination and Tesla Nav. selects SuperChargers.
I, then, enter the location of a SuperCharger in Waze.
While the routes are typically the same, the added visual and audio route conditions coming from Waze, can not be matched by Tesla Nav. with Premium Connectivity, IMHO.
I would say that Ownice has met my expectations even though there is about a 30 sec delay for it to boot up.
What's the difference between the Ownice and the T2C that made you switch?

Higher resolution graphics and reliability.
In Tesla Android, CarPlay bases its resolution of the Tesla Android OS resolution. Therefore I can have Tesla Android OS set to 832P and I get three CarPlay resolutions (tons of icons and smaller artworks, less icons larger artwork, etc) but the screen is really 832P so nothing is blurry. Then I can drop Tesla Android down to 720P or 640P or 480P and for each resolution CarPlay offers three resolutions to choose from. As you lower resolution CarPlay interactivity gets faster an faster but it is plenty fast at the highest resolution even. CarPlay interface doesn't seem soft/slightly blurry until Tesla Android is set to 480P. Admittedly all this power over CarPlay could be overkill. I sometimes leave my system at 640P because I like the large icons and my kids like the larger album artwork.

In Tesla Android, CarPlay bases its resolution of the Tesla Android OS resolution. Therefore I can have Tesla Android OS set to 832P and I get three CarPlay resolutions (tons of icons and smaller artworks, less icons larger artwork, etc) but the screen is really 832P so nothing is blurry. Then I can drop Tesla Android down to 720P or 640P or 480P and for each resolution CarPlay offers three resolutions to choose from. As you lower resolution CarPlay interactivity gets faster an faster but it is plenty fast at the highest resolution even. CarPlay interface doesn't seem soft/slightly blurry until Tesla Android is set to 480P. Admittedly all this power over CarPlay could be overkill. I sometimes leave my system at 640P because I like the large icons and my kids like the larger album artwork.
I agree that neither T2C nor Ownice T3 has the power or feature set comparable to Tesla Android.
My previous post was my response to why I chose T3 over T3.

Agreed also. I don't have any experience with the T2C unit and may have been lucky that whatever bugs have been sorted out with the Ownice T3. It has been relatively flawless in adding the AA/Carplay integration into the browser. For a relatively small plug and play unit for less than $75 ship to my door, simply can't beat the simplicity and value.

If you want a mini computer/android system, then the RPi Tesla Android is the way to go. It's simply apples and orange because you have to either DIY the system or purchase a prebuilt one costing over $250. Much much different use cases

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I purchased an OWNICE T3 box and after hooking up everything, I noticed that my Tesla has lost all network connectivity.
I use TeslaFi alot, and none of my activity is being recorded.
Also, using the second wifi for hotspot is very flaky, since sometimes it will not connect to my phone.
I've checked for updates and it's all up to date. Does anyone else experience this as well?
Do they sell an OWNICE box with a SIM option?

I purchased an OWNICE T3 box and after hooking up everything, I noticed that my Tesla has lost all network connectivity.
Also, using the second wifi for hotspot is very flaky, since sometimes it will not connect to my phone.
I've checked for updates and it's all up to date. Does anyone else experience this as well?

Hotspot never worked for me for some reason, and yeah, Tesla loses network connectivity when you hook up the Ownice (maps won't load either). I canceled my premium subscription since Apple Carplay and Android Auto are just so much better than native Tesla apps. Really only miss being able to occasionally watch Netflix on the screen.

Don't use TeslaFi though so can't comment on that.

TeslaFi uses data transmitted by the vehicle to Tesla servers. Make sure HotSpot is enabled and working properly.
I have mine connected to Tessie with no issues

Last edited:
If you are returning the ownice & techy enough to want tesla fi, the tesla android project (now oferred in premade bundle too) might be up your alley as it is android OS running on raspberry pi hardware (compute module 4). You also get CarPlay & android auto. Device passes internet connection to tesla vehicle via many methods and one is a dedicated cellular modem + SIM card. Premade bundles are available and they now come with 256GB ssd drive. Google tesla android project for more info.

If you are returning the ownice & techy enough to want tesla fi, the tesla android project (now oferred in premade bundle too) might be up your alley as it is android OS running on raspberry pi hardware (compute module 4). You also get CarPlay & android auto. Device passes internet connection to tesla vehicle via many methods and one is a dedicated cellular modem + SIM card. Premade bundles are available and they now come with 256GB ssd drive. Google tesla android project for more info.
Tesla Android on the current version is running so much better than Ownice that I had. No problem running Teslamate yet blocking software download. Running either Tesla nav when you want battery conditioning heading to a supercharger or Apple map if you prefer live traffic info, or both!
Drop the Ownice and get Tesla Android.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Tesla Android on the current version is running so much better than Ownice that I had. No problem running Teslamate yet blocking software download. Running either Tesla nav when you want battery conditioning heading to a supercharger or Apple map if you prefer live traffic info, or both!
Drop the Ownice and get Tesla Android.

It looks like a great solution, but at upwards of 3-4 times the cost, and if I recall was it a 1 minute load time? Is there a description of how it is hooked up to the Tesla?

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the Ownice, but now that I have it hooked up to the power connector in the wheel well that is other wise used for the Tow adapter, it operates much better. Turns on and off when I enter/leave the car. Comes up in about 35-45 seconds max (or I can leave and at a stop sign or light say put the car in park for 7 seconds and it pops up). It maybe glitches once a week where I have to simply refresh the browser.

The only "issues" I have with it:

- could never get a hotspot to connect reliably, so the Tesla Map app doesn't work but I use Waze/Google Maps
- can't watch Netflix on the Tesla screen anymore since mirroring won't bypass HDCP or whatever
- It's a bit finicky on the connection side when both my wife and I get into the car, not sure how it picks which phone to pair with.
- Not sure it's passing high quality audio from my Tidal app

The fourth one is probably the one I'd love a solution for the most, the first two I don't really care about, the 4th is a nice to have. The unit just seems to work 95% of the time flawlessly.

What does Tesla Android Project provide that makes it that much better than say an Ownice type solution?

It looks like a great solution, but at upwards of 3-4 times the cost, and if I recall was it a 1 minute load time? Is there a description of how it is hooked up to the Tesla?

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the Ownice, but now that I have it hooked up to the power connector in the wheel well that is other wise used for the Tow adapter, it operates much better. Turns on and off when I enter/leave the car. Comes up in about 35-45 seconds max (or I can leave and at a stop sign or light say put the car in park for 7 seconds and it pops up). It maybe glitches once a week where I have to simply refresh the browser.

- could never get a hotspot to connect reliably, so the Tesla Map app doesn't work but I use Waze/Google Maps
- can't watch Netflix on the Tesla screen anymore since mirroring won't bypass HDCP or whatever
- It's a bit finicky on the connection side when both my wife and I get into the car, not sure how it picks which phone to pair with.

The fourth one is probably the one I'd love a solution for the most, the first two I don't really care about, the 4th is a nice to have. The unit just seems to work 95% of the time flawlessly.

What does Tesla Android Project provide that makes it that much better than say an Ownice type solution?
Why I like tesla android.

Tesla android is only product which will allow lossless audio via the “browser anudio” option. All other CarPlay/Android Auto devices use Bluetooth as audio transmission mechanism. Tesla Android can send audio to Tesla web browser via WIFI using uncompressed 48Khz PCM codec. So you’d install the tidal Android os app on tesla android (I assume they have one). The premade bundle comes with a 256GB SSD. There are USB ports where you can hook up additional storage. I assume HQ tidal media needs to be downloaded.

Just more options especially if you are a power user.

You can connect tesla android to power lines like you did with Ownice so it is auto on & off.

The premade units have external Wi-Fi & cellular antennas resulting in superior signal strength to the tesla. This allows even older Model 3 2017-2020 to have a decent experience since they have weak Wi-Fi antennas.

Screen responsiveness is probably fastest of all devices when using same resolution as other devices…oh yea, Tesla Android lets you select what screen resolution to use for Android OS & CarPlay offers three resolutions based on the current OS resolution. Basically about 9 carplay resolutions to choose from 🤣.

Tesla Android lets you prevent car from auto downloading tesla updates when it is in use. You choose the behavior. You are in control. This prevents GB of data being deducted from SIM card data allowances.

Besides CarPlay & Android auto, you get an Android OS based computer on your center screen. You can run android os apps (better gui than Tesla usually) such as X, YouTube, Netflix, Disney+, Waze, VLC, Spotify , chrome, Firefox, VPN, I ran some games.

You can plug a monitor in to pi…put it on back seat & kids can watch movies while you drive. Don’t want to hear audio? Pair Bluetooth headphone to pi. One fellow in Europe does this so his two kids can watch movies on roadtrips.

It is updated regularly. Dev is extremely interested in squeezing out all performance from the cpu & gpu. Heck, it now uses video game tech (Vulcan) in the backend.

Tesla Android Load time is around 40-45 seconds (raspberry pi 4
B + fast microSD) & I might have a faster load time to report in a few days because my premade bundle with loads from a 256GB SSD drive will arrive.

I can watch Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ or watch movies I transfer to the device. There is a bit of audio mismatch to video that they are working out. Less of a delay on AMD based infotainment systems. There is one video player app Kobi I think which allows you to set an audio offset..some people use that app and figured out the offset to use so video & audio line up better.

I can listen to lossless Apple Music media via Android OS Apple Music, no Bluetooth involved in audio pipeline. I can listen to mp3 , flac based audio with no Bluetooth compression.

Reactions: TheLex

@pbcsd here is an unofficial blog about tesla android, might answer other questions.

i didn't see the option to edit my post so apologies for the double post. In case other have the same issue and are using android, this morning, i connected the T3 to my wife's iphone and was able to get to 3.3.3.3 in safari to do an actual update (over my flash). Once this was done, it connected and AA launched with autoaibox.link as expected and everything seems to work. Hope that helps other Android user having similar issues.
+1 for this

Ran into the same issue a month ago- arrived at the same solution independently - i.e. using my wife's iPhone for the update while I use an Android!

@Ratm68 are you able to use voice commands with Android Auto by clicking on the mic button on the browser? It doesn't seem to work for me.

The only way I can get voice commands to work while driving is by opening the Google Assistant app on the phone and then speaking the instructions into it. This is clearly not an ideal solution.

I am not quite a power user like @EletricAnt54.

But when I had the ownice, it was mainly for a smoother operation for my wife who drives the car 80% of the time. It's a bit more straightforward for her. However, the failure in connecting to the internet even while connected to her phone hotspot makes it a fail to me. Along this time, TeslaAndroid improved on stability and functionality. I had TeslaAndroid from way back when it needed 2 RPi, and know how well the dev is pushing this. Compare to Ownice, I have no confidence at all that it will be improved over time.

Failure to run Tesla nav while on CarPlay makes battery arrival soc non functional and at times when you need that info to make a trip makes it critical in my view.

We regularly have 2 phones in the car and the TeslaAndroid would usually pick up the last used device, but if you want the other one instead just offline the connected one for 10 seconds or so, it should pick up the other. Or if you can see the trying to connect screen, you can actually pick which phone.

I like the full screen mode when I wait in the car, and watch a preloaded video.