Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tow hitch-bay area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only wanted the hitch for my bike rack as well , and went with OEM. It's just a better option as you'll get tow software and you know the hitch will work well.
Do you know if mobile service can do it or it has to be done at the service center? I feel like dropping it off at the service center is a black hole and you’ll never know when you’ll get the car back…

If you're willing to put in a little sweat equity or maybe enlist a handy friend help, TorkLift's EcoHitch option is great. I installed mine and was able to keep the aluminum crash bar (the Curt and Uhaul ones don't appear to allow for that). $314 is a sweet deal versus the Tesla OEM option. If you sweet talk a Mobile Ranger, you might get them to enable Trailer Mode for you as well.

If you're willing to put in a little sweat equity or maybe enlist a handy friend help, TorkLift's EcoHitch option is great. I installed mine and was able to keep the aluminum crash bar (the Curt and Uhaul ones don't appear to allow for that). $314 is a sweet deal versus the Tesla OEM option. If you sweet talk a Mobile Ranger, you might get them to enable Trailer Mode for you as well.

Hm I’ve looked into some that I can install at home but seems like a bit much for me. I did find someone here who can install that particular model for ~$300. I have to supply the part so total is about $6-700… kinda wish I had just gotten the hitch when I ordered the car. Hindsight

Hm I’ve looked into some that I can install at home but seems like a bit much for me. I did find someone here who can install that particular model for ~$300. I have to supply the part so total is about $6-700… kinda wish I had just gotten the hitch when I ordered the car. Hindsight
I got installed Uhaul Dublin,CA for MY, it's been 8months and no issues.

1648766921455.png

Do you know if mobile service can do it or it has to be done at the service center? I feel like dropping it off at the service center is a black hole and you’ll never know when you’ll get the car back…

It's up to them. I had a hitch install appointment for my first Y and they scheduled a home visit. For the 2nd Y, they wanted me to bring it in. It only took a few hours.

Any reason to keep or not keep the bumper bar? It feels weird to remove it but I guess we are placing a strong piece of metal in its place?

I really toyed with the idea of ordering my MYP with the tow hitch... bicycle rack, jet ski, small trailer. But I didn't.

I feel I can put the bikes in the back seat. Putting a jet ski in the water with a tesla and dunking the rear end just seems... IDK, odd. And in reality, with a trunk liner, I really don't care what I throw back there, it's easy to clean up!

Looking at some inexpensive after marker versions are making me think about it again...

Any reason to keep or not keep the bumper bar? It feels weird to remove it but I guess we are placing a strong piece of metal in its place?
Tesla deletes the crash bar too when installing their hitch so it’s obviously not needed

I did drawtite (uhaul is same just rebranded and $100 more) and the plug play harness kit was $300 took a few hours to install myself. Why would you want tow mode software it disables AP towing ? I do live with a yellow line on screen While towing and beeps when I back up towing but that’s pretty minor to save $1000 and keep AP while towing

I did Just installed the Drawtite hitch. It wasn't a hard install and took about three hours. I could do it much faster now if i had too, i was trying to be careful and not destroy any clips.

I did notice the hitch sits too high in the access panel by about 5 mm. Anyone out there have a similar experience? I Also was disappointed to see that by removing the crash bar, you also lose the tow recovery hook.

I recently read that Tesla will not enable tow mode for tow hitches not installed by Tesla, citing that its a liability issue for them...BS!

I have a model Y and looking to get a 2in tow hitch installed. Tesla is 1300, uhal is 700ish. Any good recommendations in the Bay Area?

I am just looking to attach my bike rack. I’m not doing any heavy duty towing.

Thanks!
Two years ago I used The Rack Spot in San Carlos to have a hitch for a bike rack installed on my Model 3.
I recently read that Tesla will not enable tow mode for tow hitches not installed by Tesla, citing that its a liability issue for them...BS!
Yes that is annoying but if all you want is to mount a bike rack, like @Newtothis, it doesn’t matter.