Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go with the Tesla-specific Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the 235/35-35-20 which contains acoustic foam and actually the generic Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265 / 30 - 20 for the rear tire, as there is no Tesla specific Tire in that size. The front tire is Tesla specific and it's actually slightly wider and slightly lower aspect ratio than what it specifies and its tread is actually wider than the generic 245 / 35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - check out Tire Racks stats if you want confirmation. The difference between the 265 / 30 and the 275 / 30 is a lot of weight and not a lot of traction. Additionally, the slightly smaller rolling diameter means you might even pick up a little bit of acceleration.

Do you have to go through Tesla to get that tire?

That is a fantastic deal and I'm assuming those are forged yes?. I still think I'm better off dynamically with a square setup though. But the price on this is so appealing I might pull the trigger and throw a set of 265 / 30 - 20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on the rear, but I'd really like to hear from somebody who has the all-wheel-drive performance version who's tried a staggered setup with the big question being whether you end up with too much terminal understeer. I suspect that track mode probably takes care of that issue because it allows more oversteer, but you don't want to drive around on the street in track mode. Do you have any information/ feedback from upgraders with the performance all-wheel drive set up?

If anyone is at the point of noticing increased understeer on the street....imo they should be slowing down and taking it to the track. Staggered is a non issue on the street, spirited driving, occasional auto-x and hpde events. If you’re a serious track person square is what you want.

Keep in mind theses are 9” up front and 10.5 in rear. Running 235/275 will have a bit of stretch...which is why they usually package these with 245/285. Running a 265 would have even more stretch.

If anyone is at the point of noticing increased understeer on the street....imo they should be slowing down and taking it to the track. Staggered is a non issue on the street, spirited driving, occasional auto-x and hpde events. If you’re a serious track person square is what you want.

Keep in mind theses are 9” up front and 10.5 in rear. Running 235/275 will have a bit of stretch...which is why they usually package these with 245/285. Running a 265 would have even more stretch.

I've been running the stock Tesla 235 / 35 Tire - which is actually wider than its Michelin Pilot Sport siblings on a 20 by 9 inch wheel for four months without any issues. The section width of the tire is 9.5 in so there's plenty of Tire to fill the wheel. Additionally, it's a long appreciated trick to put the tire on the widest wheel you can to keep it squared up under cornering and braking loads. Some Road Racers do as much as 1 to 2 in of stretch - which I'm not proposing - as the 265 / 30 is actually 10.7 in wide. This simply means that in neither instance will either Tire be technically stretched, as both wheels are narrower or at most equal to the section width of the tire. If you want an authoritative Source on this see here

Last edited:
I've been running the stock Tesla 235 / 35 Tire - which is actually wider than its Michelin Pilot Sport siblings on a 20 by 9 inch wheel for four months without any issues. The section width of the tire is 9.5 in so there's plenty of Tire to fill the wheel. Additionally, it's a long appreciated trick to put the tire on the widest wheel you can to keep it squared up under cornering and braking loads. Some Road Racers do as much as 1 to 2 in of stretch - which I'm not proposing - as the 265 / 30 is actually 10.7 in wide. This simply means that in neither instance will either Tire be technically stretched, as both wheels are narrower or at most equal to the section width of the tire. If you want an authoritative Source on this see here

I’ve got the same stock 20”s and while true they do run wider than other 235’s. Even on the 8.5” stock rims there is a small amount of stretch. I’ve seen pics of 275 Michelin ps4s on a 10” rim and theres already a small amount of stretch. 265 and 10.5” will definetely have more stretch.
The listed width range for 265/30/20 is 9-10”. The section width is 10.7 on a 9.5” rim....but keep in mind the section width includes rib protectors which the ps4s has a pretty big rib protector. The tread width is only 9.4”

Some don’t prefer this look. My post was simply to help make you aware in case it wasn’t something you didn’t want. Either way....post up pics when you get it!!!!

EAF2B095-3E36-48E2-B5B3-FD5CA847E290.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got the same stock 20”s and while true they do run wider than other 235’s. Even on the 8.5” stock rims there is a small amount of stretch. I’ve seen pics of 275 Michelin ps4s on a 10” rim and theres already a small amount of stretch. 265 and 10.5” will definetely have more stretch.
The listed width range for 265/30/20 is 9-10”. The section width is 10.7 on a 9.5” rim....but keep in mind the section width includes rib protectors which the ps4s has a pretty big rib protector. The tread width is only 9.4” Some people not like that much stretch....you may want it....my post was simply to help make you aware....if that was something you didn’t want.

I appreciate that you were giving me a heads up. But it is the section with that really determines a safe limit for rim width not the width of the tread. As for rim protectors, I've given up on those being useful a long time ago. I also believe that the section width does not include the rim protectors because that's not the widest part of the tire.

I appreciate that you were giving me a heads up. But it is the section with that really determines a safe limit for rim width not the width of the tread. As for rim protectors, I've given up on those being useful a long time ago. I also believe that the section width does not include the rim protectors because that's not the widest part of the tire.

No problem. You’re right....section width doesn’t include rim protectors.

I went 235/40/19 blizzak lm32’s on a 9” rim thinking the same 9.5 section width wouldn’t be that bad. It’s just a bit too much stretch for my taste and will be going 245 and/or wider 235 tire next go round. It’s just my winter set, were cheap and will take a beating so didn’t really care....but if I could do it again I’d go with a narrower wheel or wider tire..wider isn’t best for snow though. Made sure not to make the same mistake with my summer set....so I went custom specs!!

343C5C3B-D4C5-4373-B64F-AAB21E6AE9E8.jpeg

Attachments

• D86B7F35-34DC-47A0-BAEF-28F5AFB7F3AD.jpeg
    D86B7F35-34DC-47A0-BAEF-28F5AFB7F3AD.jpeg
    805.2 KB · Views: 63
No problem. You’re right....section width doesn’t include rim protectors.

I went 235/40/19 blizzak lm32’s on a 9” rim thinking the same 9.5 section width wouldn’t be that bad. It’s just a bit too much stretch for my taste and will be going 245 and/or wider 235 tire next go round. It’s just my winter set, were cheap and will take a beating so didn’t really care....but if I could do it again I’d go with a narrower wheel or wider tire..wider isn’t best for snow though. Made sure not to make the same mistake with my summer set....so I went custom specs!!

View attachment 366847

Thanks for posting that. The Tesla specific 235/35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S seems to fill that wheel a little bit better than that Blizzak even if the specs wouldn't suggest so. I've had a 9in Advanti wheel from Tire Rack which was the only lightweight affordable wheel when the performance version of the model 3 first came out, at only $330 a pop. Don't have a great picture that allows you to see the wheel and tire from the side. I think the wheel weight is about 24 pounds which is pretty good for rotary flow type Wheels. It turns out that there is a Tesla specific 275 / 30 with acoustic foam - great catch on that!

If I'm feeling brave I may go with the radical staggered setup with that tire on the rear and the stock 235/35 on the front even though it's not the best setup for either mileage or track , at least by anecdotal report. I still wonder if track mode would allow you to use that extra traction and still get you to a useful version of slight terminal oversteer. Have to find out if I can get a deserted parking to test out my hypothesis.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. The Tesla specific 235/35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S seems to fill that wheel a little bit better than that Blizzak even if the specs wouldn't suggest so. I've had a 9in Advanti wheel from Tire Rack which was the only lightweight affordable wheel at only $330 a pop. Don't have a great picture that allows you to see the wheel and tire from the side. I think the wheel weight is about 24 pounds which is pretty good for rotary flow type Wheels. It turns out that there is a Tesla specific 275 / 30 with acoustic foam - great catch on that!

If I'm feeling brave I may go with the radical staggered setup with that tire on the rear and the stock 235/35 on the front even though it's not the best setup for either mileage or track , at least by anecdotal report. I still wonder if track mode would allow you to use that extra traction and still get you to a useful version of slight terminal oversteer. Have to find out if I can get a deserted parking to test out my hypothesis.

That’s where Tireracks tread width data becomes helpful. Tireracks’s specs for 235/35 blizzak lm32’s have much less treadwith than others of same size. I kinda dismissed it because of the same section width....thought it must be a typo...boy was I wrong lol.

I don’t care much about the foam...as I actually have issues getting it patched locally. But if the TO tesla spec’d ps4s is noticeably wider in actual use....I may just go with the TO Tesla over the regular version. Anyone have first hand experience with both?

That’s where Tireracks tread width data becomes helpful. Tireracks’s specs for 235/35 blizzak lm32’s have much less treadwith than others of same size. I kinda dismissed it because of the same section width....thought it must be a typo...boy was I wrong lol.

I don’t care much about the foam...as I actually have issues getting it patched locally. But if the TO tesla spec’d ps4s is noticeably wider in actual use....I may just go with the TO Tesla over the regular version. Anyone have first hand experience with both?

Well I have experience with its antecedent tire but that's not the same the Michelin Supersport. In any case I'd get the Tesla specific Tire just because we don't know and it's probably almost impossible to find out what other changes Tesla had Michelin bake into the tire. You can bet that whatever they did it makes it a better fit for the model 3

Hi folks, Would the following size/fit work on a model 3? Found some aftermarket wheels at 40% off and would love to pick them up if so.

Thanks!

5 x 112
20 x 9 Front
20 x 11 Rear
I believe the bolt circle is 5 by 114.3. Not positive but I think that's too small a bolt circle and 20 by 11 at the rear just sounds too big for almost any reasonable tire. 275 / 35 - 20 sits pretty well on a 10.5 inch wheel. Take a look at the deal EVS is offering on a fantastic Vorsteiner lightweight staggered wheel combination with 20 by 9 front and 20 by 10.5 rear. Ask for Haywood.

I'm interested zip code is 95330 what colors do you have available in your stock and what stiles
It's the vorsteiner 107. See previous postings on this. It's in the so-called Zara Gray. You can also get a picture by going to get your wheels.com and putting in vorsteiner. I just bought 4. It's the deal of the year if you have a Tesla Model 3 and you want a staggered wheel setup. You can also easily transition to a squared set up by getting two more wheels in the 20 by 9 configuration.

Reactions: pkalhan
I believe the bolt circle is 5 by 114.3. Not positive but I think that's too small a bolt circle and 20 by 11 at the rear just sounds too big for almost any reasonable tire. 275 / 35 - 20 sits pretty well on a 10.5 inch wheel. Take a look at the deal EVS is offering on a fantastic Vorsteiner lightweight staggered wheel combination with 20 by 9 front and 20 by 10.5 rear. Ask for Haywood.

Thank You! I will contact EVS

Thank You! I will contact EVS
They are offering excellent service and an exceptional price on what are essentially quasi-forged or so-called gravity rotary cast Wheels. They have the weight of forged wheels at 21 pounds for the fronts and 22 lbs for the rear. Plus they're gorgeous. And please tell Haywood that I sent you:)

Reactions: pkalhan