Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket wheels that improved efficiency range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many people who have gone with aftermarket wheels have made choices that adversely affect efficiency/range. It may also be helpful to hear just how much your wheel/tire choice ADVERSELY affected your Wh/mi.

If you started with OEM 18's did even lighter 18's improve, or does the lack of aero caps negate benefit from lighter weight? Are there any 19's that even get the same efficiency as 18's?

Let's start to compile some info into one place:
Which model do you have?
Which wheels did you start with?
What is the new setup? wheel/tire size/weight specs
What is the before/after Wh/mi?
pics if you can

So many people who have gone with aftermarket wheels have made choices that adversely affect efficiency/range.
It may also be helpful to hear just how much your wheel/tire choice ADVERSELY affected your Wh/mi.

If you started with OEM 18's did even lighter 18's improve, or does the lack of aero caps negate benefit from lighter weight?
Are there any 19's that even get the same efficiency as 18's?

Let's start to compile some info into one place:
Which model do you have?
Which wheels did you start with?
What is the new setup? wheel/tire size/weight specs
What is the before/after Wh/mi?
pics if you can
If you are really concerned about range, it seems to me that the best way to improve range is to use narrow tires, and reduce your speed.

However I think it would be interesting to include also how tires can improve driving dynamics, like high speed cornering performance.

Here are some recent reviews that I would like to see using the Model 3P instead:

Obviously choosing wider tires is going to be detrimental to efficiency, and staggered sizes are even detrimental to handling as well. Thus, there are few people that have even made changes that MIGHT improve their efficiency. People who went from any wheels to Titan-7 18x8.5 wheels are about the only ones that come to mind that could be an improvement over OEM 18's due to light weight and same size.

All I know is going with 20s staggered will get you in the 300 wh/mi range. People who charge daily don’t care. Personally I’m in the same boat that I want aftermarket wheels but don’t want to sacrifice efficiency. That being said...look for 8.5 wide wheels. I’m going with the enkei TFR. Sub 21 lbs in a 19, rotary forged and under $1200. Keep with a 235

https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...r=2018&autoModClar=Dual+Motor+All-Wheel+Drive

I think the weight differences make very little difference in efficiency. They do make a little difference in acceleration rates. But at constant high highway speeds where the EV suffers most due to drag the difference is insignificant.

What matters way more than anything is tire compound, regardless of wheel size or weight ( within reason of course ).

Obviously choosing wider tires is going to be detrimental to efficiency, and staggered sizes are even detrimental to handling as well. Thus, there are few people that have even made changes that MIGHT improve their efficiency. People who went from any wheels to Titan-7 18x8.5 wheels are about the only ones that come to mind that could be an improvement over OEM 18's due to light weight and same size.

I use Titan 7s 18's with stock Michelin. Get better than rated on freeway. Better on the round town stop and go. However I know people that went this way using more sport or summer rated tires and they have not done so well on efficiency.

220's highway. 180's city. My overall over 40,000 miles is starting to trickle down about 2wh/mile per month since I made the change. Keep in mind I use the old 18's for snow tires and that efficiency gains will go away in December.

More often I see people go up in size when going aftermarket and go sport on tires. Both those in my thoughts would never no matter how aero or light except for carbon could ever beat the original aeros. Look at the S and X when you go big on rims......

I think the weight differences make very little difference in efficiency. They do make a little difference in acceleration rates. But at constant high highway speeds where the EV suffers most due to drag the difference is insignificant.

What matters way more than anything is tire compound, regardless of wheel size or weight ( within reason of course ).

This is true but wheel diameter is directly related to weight and width is directly related to tire rubber on the ground so that mean you lose out twice. Best to stay at 8.5 width and a lightweight rim

My lifetime average is 317. The more efficient the car is, the faster you can drive and still get to your destination or save time by not having to recharge. It doesn't matter for daily driving unless that daily is a spirited weekend drive with friends that you then need to hobble home early due to range.

At constant highway speed, the 20's have a more aerodynamic shape than 18's without covers. However, I've seen no RWD owner switch to the OEM 20's and see how it affected them. Test showed that dropping 10lbs per corner (and also wider rubber) improved the P's acceleration by 0.08 second. Even the butt dyno will have a hard time feeling that.

Thank you @outdoors Were you seeing 220's highway on the stock 18's, or is that an improvement? You might be one of the few that stuck with OEM tires so that wheel weight/design is the only variable. At least one person mentioned that their 19" Titan with slightly wider and stickier tires is doing about the same efficiency as their stock 19's. That's worse than the OEM 18's but better than the 20's.

This is true but wheel diameter is directly related to weight and width is directly related to tire rubber on the ground so that mean you lose out twice. Best to stay at 8.5 width and a lightweight rim

But what you add in rim weight you save in tire weight. You need to compare weights of wheel and tire (which I rarely see stated). Also the outer most "weight" has way more impact than weight near the center, which is really difficult to measure/compare. You might pick a light rim but has more weight further from the center. My comments all assume the same tire width hitting the ground for the different rim sizes. I agree a wider rim will add weight and width hitting the ground.

I think a little to much weight is put into the weight of the wheels ;).

Thank you @outdoors Were you seeing 220's highway on the stock 18's, or is that an improvement?

Slight improvement in highway much more in city driving. I want to get an entire summer season out of them so I can compare month over month over the same period last year. I can pick specific drives via TeslaFi that I do each year hundreds of times and try to match up the variables.

For me I wanted something different. Wanted a strong wheel. Can't drop the car. I live on a dirt road that can be tough, and the places I travel. Well I can't even afford a 1/4 of an inch. Brisay Quebec is the next place I am trying to figure out a way to get my 3 to.

The Titan 7 Crew @Xenoilphobe roped me into the world of custom rims and I have to say I am very satisfied. Oh and I am sure I am the only one that left the stock tires on...:)

If anyone has read my posts. I am not a hypermiler. I will on occasion try to be conscious of efficiency, but doesn't last too long. I just drive. Often in the left lane.

Edit add: I think it's more the rubber as well @mswlogo

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mswlogo and ppower
These are probably very efficient but they need your Aero hubcaps to install them. At 125.00 a tire I opt out and I don’t see myself going on long distance trips a lot.

Moon Disc for Tesla Model 3 hub cap

2E1C808C-2DD2-4ED5-9D9C-F2AE1A35ED60.jpeg
677FA786-7331-4695-9B22-42644FB153B5.jpeg

These are probably very efficient but they need your Aero hubcaps to install them. At 125.00 a tire I opt out and I don’t see myself going on long distance trips a lot.

Moon Disc for Tesla Model 3 hub cap

View attachment 429118 View attachment 429117

Gotta be careful that you balance efficiency with cooling the brakes. I think anyone could have designed a solid disc. It’s the art of creating something functional for cooling while maintaining efficiency and something aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe there is something cleverly hidden in that cover that isn’t obvious.