Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning broken 1 week in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Air conditioning stopped working after 1 week, I'm told the condenser has a short.

Today, one week and two days following delivery, the A/C in my Tesla also stopped functioning.

The ride into work was a bit uncomfortable being that it's South Florida. I called the local service center while the car drove itself and I explained the issue. They were able to run a diagnostic test over the air and they found the problem before I reached the office. Unfortunately I was advised that there was a part that must be replaced and that I had to drive the vehicle to their service center. Fortunately for me that is close by.

Definitely an inconvenience; no question about it. For the same failure to have been present in previous models so early after delivery, it seems like there is some sort of A/C part that Tesla still has yet to get right.

On delivery day I already knew that I would have to bring the car back to the service center due to several fit and finish issues. Therefore, it was not too much of an inconvenience to bring the car back today vs. another week or so. The minor deficiencies are for another post. I can't say I was surprised with any of them due to reading this forum quite a bit in recent weeks.

Should the air conditioning break down this early, or at all during the vehicle's lifetime? No. No it should not. Had my Honda Accord for well over 100K miles and not one A/C issue. Oh well. Just bad luck, or just an oversight by Tesla in not ensuring the highest quality parts are going into their A/C systems - or at least reliable parts. Maybe I should have opted for the Bio-weapons Defense / the End-is-Near filtration system. Perhaps then my Tesla would have had the upgraded, long-lasting parts. Who knows.

In any case, I am very happy with my car and I am very pleased with Tesla's attention to the issues. Just a shame it had to go back to the shop so quickly.

Same issue for me... about 1.5 months into ownership but probably 1-week into hot enough weather for A/C and mine also died. Feels like I'm driving around in my old college car again... windows open, tunes blarin'! Problem is next weekend we are doing a road trip and our new Service Centre isn't open for a few weeks so they aren't booking service. Better fire up the mix tapes for a hot spring!

My X had an o ring seal leak at rear evaparator. This happened to a car that was about a week old. It took a week to schedule and Tesla was able to identify and resolve the issue within a few hours.

Wasn't a big deal to me personally despite its the biggest purchase I've made outside a house.

I took it in stride but you can't assume everyone will feel the same about 100k purchases. People operating on different scales might freak out over the most trivial of issues on a 15k civic because that's all they can afford.

Bottom line, Tesla needs to get their act together and meet the expectations of consumers coming over from Accords and Camrys.

Tesla owners need to not be dismissive about other owners concerns. Warranty or not, have some respect for their time, concerns and big monetary investment.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
I agree that having the AC fail like this is bad, but it is far better then what happened to us with our 2007 Prius AC.

We had just returned to LAX from a 45 day international trip, we stayed a few days in Anaheim and then drove back to Tucson.

It was the saturday of July 4th weekend 2011 when we were driving back, and after getting gas at Costco the AC stopped blowing. We stopped at the first Toyota dealership on the route, and they did not have the blower in stock, and could not get it until Tuesday, as Monday was a holiday. They tapped on the blower and it started working again.

We started going again, and in about 30 minutes it stopped blowing again. Fresh air would not pass the coils, so setting it to vent did not work.

Found another Toyota dealership, same story, and they got it running for about 30 minutes again. We made it to Indio before the heat got too unbearable, and decided to stop for a movie (Disney Cars 2, air conditioned), until the sun went down.

Made it as far as Avondale (phx area) before we felt too tired to drive further. Found a hotel, had to stay two nights worth to be able to check out after dark. Tried a Toyota dealer in Avondale, but being Sunday service was not open.

We made it back to Tucson very tired and very warm. Tuesday, after the holiday, we took it into Precision Toyota, and of course they had the part in stock, and our warranty/extended warranty covered it.

They recommended filling with Toyota platinum care for reimbursement of the two hotel nights, but Toyota never paid it, they never explained why, but I suspect it was because the car was still driveable, and 115F heat with out AC is ok....

Did I mention that this was with an 18 month old and a 4 year old and two adults?

AC issues are not fun, but I suspect Tesla would have dealt with this far better then the Toyota dealerships did. In fact the primary Toyota parts stock for the region is in LA, and they still could not get the part on a Saturday.

Harry

• Informative
Reactions: anonim1979
I agree that having the AC fail like this is bad, but it is far better then what happened to us with our 2007 Prius AC.

We had just returned to LAX from a 45 day international trip, we stayed a few days in Anaheim and then drove back to Tucson.

It was the saturday of July 4th weekend 2011 when we were driving back, and after getting gas at Costco the AC stopped blowing. We stopped at the first Toyota dealership on the route, and they did not have the blower in stock, and could not get it until Tuesday, as Monday was a holiday. They tapped on the blower and it started working again.

We started going again, and in about 30 minutes it stopped blowing again. Fresh air would not pass the coils, so setting it to vent did not work.

Found another Toyota dealership, same story, and they got it running for about 30 minutes again. We made it to Indio before the heat got too unbearable, and decided to stop for a movie (Disney Cars 2, air conditioned), until the sun went down.

Made it as far as Avondale (phx area) before we felt too tired to drive further. Found a hotel, had to stay two nights worth to be able to check out after dark. Tried a Toyota dealer in Avondale, but being Sunday service was not open.

We made it back to Tucson very tired and very warm. Tuesday, after the holiday, we took it into Precision Toyota, and of course they had the part in stock, and our warranty/extended warranty covered it.

They recommended filling with Toyota platinum care for reimbursement of the two hotel nights, but Toyota never paid it, they never explained why, but I suspect it was because the car was still driveable, and 115F heat with out AC is ok....

Did I mention that this was with an 18 month old and a 4 year old and two adults?

AC issues are not fun, but I suspect Tesla would have dealt with this far better then the Toyota dealerships did. In fact the primary Toyota parts stock for the region is in LA, and they still could not get the part on a Saturday.

Harry

Tesla forum members treated OP worst than Tesla did. :D

Reactions: Sawyer8888