Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning maxing at 7-Not Extended Range Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion on the A/C.

The hardware works great - fantastic actually in south Louisiana were the summers are hot, humid and long. The Model S with the panoramic roof is probably nearly as much heat load as the X with it's extended windshield. I have had the same experience with 2 Model Ss over 3 summers.

When I say the hardware works great I mean I can manually adjust it to achieve very cold temps in the dead of summer. Where Tesla gets in trouble is when they start fooling with the climate control logic. I personally don't think it agressive enough in achieving the set temperature and sometimes elect to manually adjust to MAX AC when I get in a hot car in summer.

I also find that I need to set the temperature at 67 to be comfortable whereas with most other systems I'm usually comfortable at 70-72 set point.

Mike

Fantastic feedback especially with panoroof, I have no expectation of the climate control feature as long as I can override with manual controls.

All that matters is the effective cooling and fan power.

La heat is worse than any state I have live in due to humidity, so if it works there, it should work in Tx (DFW). My daughter is moving there this year, so may do road trips, hopefully the I-20 SCs will be underway soon.

Thoughts on ventilated seats? I hear they just circulate ambient air, not the "cool,dry air" stated on the design center, and the fans speed and sensation is underwhelming.

Thx

I'm in NC and it gets over 100 degrees in the summer here. I do have a Pano roof and find that the A/C is well-equipped to handle the summer heat. I've had my Model S since August 2013, so have been through summer 2014 and summer 2015. The A/C actually worked much better in the summer of 2014 because of the issues described in this thread that were present in the 7.0 release, however with 7.1 the issues appear to be resolved. Even when there were problems, the "fix" was to just set the temperature to "LO" in which case the A/C would go full-blast.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Great, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I will evaluate the Model X in late May or June before mine goes into production in July.

It's is such a big deal for me I am willing to risk my $5K deposit soley based on the A/C performance.

Like the S with a pano roof, the X has a lot of overhead glass, plus that ridiculously large windshield.