Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue with hot air A/C. Also I have the "Parking assist unavailable" warning on constantly. I have tried everything listed here to no avail. I made an appointment at the service center, soonest I could get in is 10 days from now. And it's a 100 miles away. I have been trying to call but get stopped at the automated dialer. I'm not convinced this isn't a software issue. Saturday night we went out to eat, car parked itself, all good. Sunday morning, hot air and warning.....

From Tesla when they fixed mine at the Service Center...

Tested and confirmed that the vehicles Hvac system is not cooling properly. Testing found that the vehicle has an alert for the discharge temp sensor. Testing found that the sensor has an internal fault and will need to be replaced to correct. Removed and replaced the discharge temp sensor. Performed function testing and confirmed that the vehicle is now cooling properly.

Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Pipe - High Pressure - Compressor to Condenser (Add Refrigerant Part if Needed) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added: ASY,AC LINE,DISCHARGE,DM,MDL S(1031671-00-I)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

• Informative
Reactions: RyanS and rsg123
From Tesla when they fixed mine at the Service Center...

Tested and confirmed that the vehicles Hvac system is not cooling properly. Testing found that the vehicle has an alert for the discharge temp sensor. Testing found that the sensor has an internal fault and will need to be replaced to correct. Removed and replaced the discharge temp sensor. Performed function testing and confirmed that the vehicle is now cooling properly.

Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Pipe - High Pressure - Compressor to Condenser (Add Refrigerant Part if Needed) (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added: ASY,AC LINE,DISCHARGE,DM,MDL S(1031671-00-I)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Today I was gonna take my wife and mother in law to get a nice lunch. But as all of you have discovered that Tesla has one of those fancy new slot machine A/C systems. You know the one that works 1time every 30,0000 you turn it on. Might help if they finish the automobiles before they sell them and hire more mechanics electricians or whatever else you need. My car has 631 miles on it and 21 of those were spent sweating my white leather azz off. Turn it off wait lose 3lbs and try again. Gonna do a factory reset if that doesn’t work then I’ll give it back.

Same help from Tesla I used to get from GM. Now I don’t own a GM maybe the same for Tesla unless the on-site service comes through before I make my next payment. Hate to be the one to point out the Elephant in the room, I can deal with radio issues or maybe even something worse, but listen in order to drive one has to be able to breathe and remain conscious. It’s a little hot here right now but not unusual. My 3 long range has been no problem. The dual motor long range is so fast it must out run the air conditioner.

I retract everything I previously have written about Tesla. Sarasota repair facility is excellent. Just low on Freon . The story of my life. I fell back in love with my model 3 in about 3 miles. What a car. And man they get it done fast and keep you in the loop. Keep this up and GM, Ford and RAM might as well give up on half tons all over the world.

I had the exact same problem. 2015 Model S--cooled down via the app then once we got into the car the AC only blew hot air. Did the reset thing (longest 3 minutes ever!) But thankfully it worked. Still going to bring it in to the SC to rule out hardware issues.

I had the exact same problem. 2015 Model S--cooled down via the app then once we got into the car the AC only blew hot air. Did the reset thing (longest 3 minutes ever!) But thankfully it worked. Still going to bring it in to the SC to rule out hardware issues.
Let us know what they say. I had the SC look at mine and they couldnt find any problems.

It’s getting hot in here. Good thing we have a break from the heat in Florida. AC worked this morning. Stopped working now.

only thing I did this morning was rotate tires. Lift up on one side and then lift up on the other.

next service appointment is 9 days out. Gonna be a hot One.

tried multiple power off and resets. Just about every button pushed. Glad to hear it resolves it self for some. Windows open and sunroof open For today.

It’s getting hot in here. Good thing we have a break from the heat in Florida. AC worked this morning. Stopped working now.

only thing I did this morning was rotate tires. Lift up on one side and then lift up on the other.

next service appointment is 9 days out. Gonna be a hot One.

tried multiple power off and resets. Just about every button pushed. Glad to hear it resolves it self for some. Windows open and sunroof open For today.
Sucks. Hope it gets sorted out quickly for you. I will say, when you power off and sit in you car for 3 minutes make sure all windows closed and overheat protection is off.

I had this issue today. I precooked the car a few minutes before leaving while it was in the garage. I turned off the AC when I first started driving because I had cooled the car down to 65°. A few minutes into my drive I turned the AC on & soon thereafter noticed it was blowing hot air. It was over 90° here today & humid. Tomorrow is supposed to be 96°! I tried the 3 minute reset & it didn’t work.

Any other suggestions of what to do? Next service appointment is 2 weeks away!

What firmware are you running? Last I had an A/C problem, I was advised to keep the temp at 68°F.
Was told it was a known firmware issue. When set to LOW, condenser may freeze and A/C function is stopped, but that was way back in July of 2018.

I also had another A/C issue prior to that in 2017 - failure in the AC expansion valve.

On both times, it seemed like A/C came back after it was plugged into our L2 home charger.

So pre-cool before leaving home and don't set it any lower than 68°F. Hope that helps! We didn't get communication whatsoever to let us know if that issue has been addressed. Ours is 2016 as well.

Last edited:
What firmware are you running? Last I had an A/C problem, I was advised to keep the temp at 68°F.
Was told it was a known firmware issue. When set to LOW, condenser may freeze and A/C function is stopped, but that was way back in July of 2018.

I also had another A/C issue prior to that in 2017 - failure in the AC expansion valve.

On both times, it seemed like A/C came back after it was plugged into our L2 home charger.

So pre-cool before leaving home and don't set it any lower than 68°F. Hope that helps! We didn't get communication whatsoever to let us know if that issue has been addressed. Ours is 2016 as well.
We never set the AC to low. We usually precool the car at 65° and have it set somewhere around 70-71° when driving.

Firmware 2020.24.6.4. Charging overnight on our L2 charger didn’t get the AC back.

I also believe it is a new sw glitch. It started happening in my 75D in the past 1-2 weeks. It happens sometimes when I drive then I deselect the Auto, reselect it, lower the temp and it comes back. Happened 4 times already. Usually when starting the car and it is already hot inside. It feels like the car is working on the battery cooling first. Another way maybe they started to look at stoping the AC from time to time to increase range... Just weird after the last couple of updates. Running 24.6.9 now.