Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air drag & Tire drag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a 2022 Model 3 that I got just about one year ago. Recently, in the last few days, I've noticed that the accelerator feels sluggish (i.e. I'm having to apply more pressure/power to achieve the same acceleration I did a week ago). In the energy app, it is now saying that I'm experiencing reduced efficiency due to air drag, tire drag, and cold weather preconditioning.

My PSI is right around 41 (I refilled the tires a couple weeks ago).

What should I be doing to correct this?

Thanks!

I am, but I've always been in chill mode and the lowered performance and efficiency is n
Hi all,

I have a 2022 Model 3 that I got just about one year ago. Recently, in the last few days, I've noticed that the accelerator feels sluggish (i.e. I'm having to apply more pressure/power to achieve the same acceleration I did a week ago). In the energy app, it is now saying that I'm experiencing reduced efficiency due to air drag, tire drag, and cold weather preconditioning.

My PSI is right around 41 (I refilled the tires a couple weeks ago).

What should I be doing to correct this?

Thanks!
You are confusing the sluggish accelerator feel and efficiency. There is not much you can do about tire/air drag and cold weather. This probably didn't change from last week.

I'm not sure why your accelerator pedal feels more sluggish than last week, but by design Chill mode is supposed to feel...well, chill/sluggish. Try using normal/sport mode. If you don't drive hard all the time your efficiency won't suffer any more than in Chill mode.

I wonder what the actual torque/power output is in Chill mode. It's obviously reduced power and not just reduced accelerator response.

Did you get a software update in between? Tesla is always messing with things in updates even if they are not listed in the release notes.

Even without that, for all we know, Tesla purposefully maps chill mode against temperature in case it's snowing or raining. Using chill mode just means you have to accept the unknown algorithm Tesla applies to that mode.

After a recent update, when you are viewing the energy tracking page that shows a detailed energy analysis and projection, under “efficiency tips” it pretty much always says something like “[increased air drag, tire drag, climate control activity, and battery conditioning due to cold temperatures added x.x% to this trip].”

I suspect it is because as Tesla gets more mainstream users rather than deeply-researching early adopters they are getting a lot more service center calls like “my car used 10 miles more range than I traveled! What’s wrong?!” Basically, a catch-all to help people understand that vehicles are less efficient in colder weather.

It is not from the scar sensing some kind of aerodynamic problem.

Last edited: