Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Spring Suspension Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Circling back to this in case there are future searches.

Pretty heavy leak on the bottom of both rear air springs (where the protective rubber sleeve holds on to the metal flange). Passenger side is worse.
Looks like a durability/design issue with the springs since both have the same issue close to the same time! Who knows how long there has been a small leak, I only started to notice after my rear end was to the ground after a couple of days of no driving.

Getting them replaced but they're expensive (2k for both with labor), make sure you wet and inspect your springs before your warranty runs out! I was actually able to hear the hissing after driving in the rain and parking inside a quiet garage.

This is the area mine are leaking, and link to a video of the bad leak:

upload_2018-4-17_18-42-30.png

Other common issues are the solenoid block and the line running from the compressor to the expansion tank rubbing a hole in itself. Sometimes the solenoid block (under the frunk) gets stuck and vents to the atmosphere. The line to the expansion tank can also rub against the other hoses and lines under the frunk which causes a leak and depending on the health of your air compressor it can cause the car to sag or sink while sitting. The air line bundle for the rear lines runs along the inner part of the front passengers wheel well so sometimes if you hit something it can damage the lines there.
I worked for Tesla in Watertown Massachusetts for 4.5 years I never saw the situation that you ran into with the air springs it was almost always another part of the system. The relay for the compressor also used to get burned up as well. An important thing to keep in mind is that its a sealed system and its filled with about 200psi of nitrogen to help with temperature fluctuations.
That's really rotten luck it happens to be the airsprings that went bad considering what they cost. Originally they were close to 2k a piece so it's good to see they've come down in price at least.

Other common issues are the solenoid block and the line running from the compressor to the expansion tank rubbing a hole in itself. Sometimes the solenoid block (under the frunk) gets stuck and vents to the atmosphere. The line to the expansion tank can also rub against the other hoses and lines under the frunk which causes a leak and depending on the health of your air compressor it can cause the car to sag or sink while sitting. The air line bundle for the rear lines runs along the inner part of the front passengers wheel well so sometimes if you hit something it can damage the lines there.
I worked for Tesla in Watertown Massachusetts for 4.5 years I never saw the situation that you ran into with the air springs it was almost always another part of the system. The relay for the compressor also used to get burned up as well. An important thing to keep in mind is that its a sealed system and its filled with about 200psi of nitrogen to help with temperature fluctuations.
That's really rotten luck it happens to be the airsprings that went bad considering what they cost. Originally they were close to 2k a piece so it's good to see they've come down in price at least.

Ya the solenoid block is the first place my SC suggested I look for a leak, but as soon as I pulled into the garage after a heavy rain I could hear the air pouring out of the springs so I didn't even need to look there.
I'm sure that is a common leak location but I suspect the air springs have had them all along but they only get bigger with time as they rust inside out and you start to notice the sag.
Did you ever look for leaks in the springs or did you go straight to the solenoid/air lines?

@EVTuning Would you be able to comment on this thread? https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/rattle-noise-coming-from-front-air-suspension.108171/

There is a problem with front suspension percieved as both vibrations and rattle which is (due to vidrative nature) causing other problems. It seems like it is observed in vehicles with dual motor manufactured 2017 and beginning of 2018.

I am pretty sure there are many people that struggle with this and would realy appreciate if someone, having deep technical insight has put some vectors to help them move forward towards solution.

Most of Tesla owners on that thread seem to be cooperative and solution oriented. There are few that have depleted their patience and are quite desperate, which is respected of course.

I know of this being an issue with Model X and it was a Retaining clip for the top of the strut. There was a redesigned unit that fixed the problem on those. I don’t know of this also being a problem on Model S though. I don’t think I would have much to contribute where I don’t have any experience with it on Model S. The air springs are made by firestone for Tesla so maybe reaching out to them would net an answer or attempt at a solution.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
I know of this being an issue with Model X and it was a Retaining clip for the top of the strut. There was a redesigned unit that fixed the problem on those. I don’t know of this also being a problem on Model S though. I don’t think I would have much to contribute where I don’t have any experience with it on Model S. The air springs are made by firestone for Tesla so maybe reaching out to them would net an answer or attempt at a solution.

I think they switched to Bilstein. That was at least something service centers communicated to owners of affected vehicles. Bilstein does not respond.

My February 2013 Model S had one left rear strut replaced for a leak at 100,000 miles / 160,000 km and that was the only air suspension problem the car ever had. Was repaired by Tesla in the final days of my Extended Warranty.

They originally were using Bilstein and then went to firestone. Are you saying they went back to Bilstein?

Yes, the shocks are certainly from Bilstein, while airsprings are marked Firestone. And the revised version have not solved the problem in the following thread. Tesla went namely from 1067361-25-C to 1067361-77C, approximately in the end of summer 2018. See in my reply here: Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

There seem to be a small bunch of people in the thread announcing that the fix has worked. while I cannot reason as for why is it necessary to repeat that message while there are owners (including myself) reporting the fix didn't work.

The snap ring comes loose over time at the top from what I remember.

Unless it can expose you to any legal pursuits from Tesla, would you be able to do a technical de-briefing of the problem with 1067361-25-C or/and 1067361-77-C? A few pictures of the design flaw can be highly appreciated, in fact. Why would this be such a huge design challenge given that it has taken already 1.5 years to come up with first revision?... which didn't work.