Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Appears on EPC in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you not pleased with these things on your S? It should be noticeably better than the “entry level” Y we are discussing.
These very things might push me up line to a refreshed S/X, I’m currently adjusting from a long line of BMWs. I miss some of the refinement. But the tech and performance are awesome.
Considering the Y because it is hard for wife getting in/out of the S. Aug 2018 S rides great

Raising the pressure? Sounds counterintuitive but I'll try anything! Thanks.

The thing to remember is that Tesla prides itself on producing cars with excellent handling. The 3 and Y in particular. And there are always trade-offs. For the Y, they're trying to hit the sweet spot where it can maintain its composure in the twisties without the ride becoming overly harsh. When all you have are conventional coils/dampers available, it's difficult to land in a place that pleases everybody. I think the complaints are higher in the Y because crossovers have a much wider audience than sedans, so you're bringing in buyers with varying expectations of how this type of vehicle should ride. Add to that this audience typically has families so they're loaded up with people/things which affect the ride as well. If you want sporty you go BMW... if you want quiet and plush, you go Mercedes. Tesla is BMW and unfortunately, there's no "Mercedes" brand to cross-shop (although the ride on the Mach-e is reported to be quite nice). Perhaps when they add the air suspension, things will improve.

Interestingly enough, I love the handling of the MY AWD w/19's. I routinely do 270 turns when getting on the freeway and the MY handles it perfectly. I test drove an Mercedes E model many, many years ago, and it was certainly plush but with oodles of body roll. I find the MY somewhat comparable to a 2018 BMW 330 GT in terms of handling (albeit based on a very limited comparison driving a friend's car)

It can certainly be harsh on some washboard roads that need to be repaved, but that is the exception rather than the rule in Southern California. Otherwise, it seems fine with the exception of speed bumps. Even at ridiculously slow speeds, below 10mph, its jarring.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Interestingly enough, I love the handling of the MY AWD w/19's. I routinely do 270 turns when getting on the freeway and the MY handles it perfectly. I test drove an Mercedes E model many, many years ago, and it was certainly plush but with oodles of body roll. I find the MY somewhat comparable to a 2018 BMW 330 GT in terms of handling (albeit based on a very limited comparison driving a friend's car)

It can certainly be harsh on some washboard roads that need to be repaved, but that is the exception rather than the rule in Southern California. Otherwise, it seems fine with the exception of speed bumps. Even at ridiculously slow speeds, below 10mph, its jarring.
You only do 270 turns? Hah! I do 360s on the interstate.

I will say, the ride quality isn't bugging me much anymore. I have about 1600mi on the car now. I still want to do the MPP upgrade but its a lot for looks now. The only reason i haven't shelled out 3k is because I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna want to upgrade to the refresh S/X within the next year. I'm missing some luxury, and the plaid along with the yoke (appeals to the pilot in me) has me interested in exploring that option.

AirDemand makes one for the Y
I would stay FAR away from AirDemand, right now I am pulling my hair out dealing with them. I got one of their kits for my Model 3, a couple months later one of the struts failed and no warranty coverage, but AirDemand only charges $60 for the repair kit, so I paid for it on 7/5. Even after I asked about express shipping because its my daily driver and its undrivable they waited until 7/11 to ship it and even then sent it surface from China, so I wont even see it until the end of this month. Also after they got my money they became almost impossible to get a response from. I'd look at UAS or one of the other brands if you are thinking about doing AirSuspension

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476