Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension Appears on EPC in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You haven't experienced a harsh ride until you've ridden in a E9x gen 3 series with run flat tires. The Model Y isn't harsh. What it could use is a little better body control over bumps.

Have to agree with you there...went a bit too quick with one over a set of train tracks and almost injured myself and my passenger's back/necks. The initial reaction from the passengers was, "what the hell is wrong with your car!?"

Reactions: HotIce
I have the LR AWD with 19" inflated to recommended pressure and I'm coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ with 19". The ride in the Y is far too stiff. Every slight imperfection in the road jars the body. So much so that using the touchscreen is difficult because my finger jumps all over. Heck, even driving slowly I find myself anchoring my thumb on the top of the display just so my index finger can successfully tap the lock icon. And I never had issues in the 3 with drinks splashing out of the lids. Same drinks and route in the Y and we're making sure drinks aren't filled before we drive off. My 3 didn't ride like this... it was sporty but not harsh. And I'm coming from BMW. Reminds me a lot of Harley's Touring lineup where there's only 2" of rear suspension travel so you feel everything. Maybe I'll drop the tire pressure a few PSI and see if that improves things.

Last edited:
I have the LR AWD with 19" inflated to recommended pressure and I'm coming from a 2019 Model 3 SR+ with 19". The ride in the Y is far too stiff. Every slight imperfection in the road jars the body. So much so that using the touchscreen is difficult because my finger jumps all over. Heck, even driving slowly I find myself anchoring my thumb on the top of the display just so my index finger can successfully tap the lock icon. Reminds me a lot of Harley's Touring lineup where there's only 2" of rear suspension travel so you feel everything. Maybe I'll drop the tire pressure a few PSI and see if that improves things. My 3 didn't ride like this... it was sporty but not harsh.
I have found that adding 1 to 2 PSI over the recommended 42 PSI improves the way the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" wheels and Continental ProContact RX tires rides.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have found that adding 1 to 2 PSI over the recommended 42 PSI improves the way the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y with the 19" wheels and Continental ProContact RX tires rides.

Raising the pressure? Sounds counterintuitive but I'll try anything! Thanks.

The thing to remember is that Tesla prides itself on producing cars with excellent handling. The 3 and Y in particular. And there are always trade-offs. For the Y, they're trying to hit the sweet spot where it can maintain its composure in the twisties without the ride becoming overly harsh. When all you have are conventional coils/dampers available, it's difficult to land in a place that pleases everybody. I think the complaints are higher in the Y because crossovers have a much wider audience than sedans, so you're bringing in buyers with varying expectations of how this type of vehicle should ride. Add to that this audience typically has families so they're loaded up with people/things which affect the ride as well. If you want sporty you go BMW... if you want quiet and plush, you go Mercedes. Tesla is BMW and unfortunately, there's no "Mercedes" brand to cross-shop (although the ride on the Mach-e is reported to be quite nice). Perhaps when they add the air suspension, things will improve.

Last edited:
I love blasting over railway tracks in my MY. There's one set where I accelerate while turn left across a set of tracks. The MY feels like it's skimming over the bumps.

Have to agree with you there...went a bit too quick with one over a set of train tracks and almost injured myself and my passenger's back/necks. The initial reaction from the passengers was, "what the hell is wrong with your car!?"

If Tesla does not offer air suspension on the Model Y then eventually aftermarket air suspension kits will be available for the Model Y. Air suspension kits are currently available for the Model 3. The wiring, compressor, air lines and suspension parts are installed in the space under the vehicle. Controlling the air suspension settings would be done via your phone using an app.

Personally I find the suspension on par for a car comparable to the performance. The ride in the MYLR 20" is = to GLC43, Porsche Macan GTS. I think a lot of people complaining about the ride have not had a performance car with 20" rims. Of all the cars in this class I find the MY least harsh.

Related to air suspension its another major component to fail. After reading all the comments on S/X suspension issues no thank you. This is a really big concern for me as I plan to get a CT and the air suspension is my only concern.

I own a GLK with 20” and MY rides much harsher and stiffer. I live in NYC, the roads are not kind to suspensions, felt every single bumps with MY.

If Tesla does not offer air suspension on the Model Y then eventually aftermarket air suspension kits will be available for the Model Y. Air suspension kits are currently available for the Model 3. The wiring, compressor, air lines and suspension parts are installed in the space under the vehicle. Controlling the air suspension settings would be done via your phone using an app.
AirDemand makes one for the Y

Ride quality, noise and poor service may push me away from the brand when I sell my 2018 S. Tesla needs to improve the basics
Are you not pleased with these things on your S? It should be noticeably better than the “entry level” Y we are discussing.
These very things might push me up line to a refreshed S/X, I’m currently adjusting from a long line of BMWs. I miss some of the refinement. But the tech and performance are awesome.

Reactions: skiwhmts
Are you not pleased with these things on your S? It should be noticeably better than the “entry level” Y we are discussing.
These very things might push me up line to a refreshed S/X, I’m currently adjusting from a long line of BMWs. I miss some of the refinement. But the tech and performance are awesome.
Those things listed are subjective. The S with the air suspension rides very well. This is why you see a lot of people mention they wish the 3 and Y had it as an option. My opinion on the older Model S is that it's quieter than the Y in terms of road noise. Where I find the Y quieter is the electronics. The S has a lot of it at the firewall, where as the Y has it under the rear seats.

Reactions: mark95476